Starting Finasteride, Maybe Minoxidil, Some Questions

HelpMyHair!!

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Little backstory, I am 37, currently sitting at a NW2-2.5 somewhere in there.

Always have had a high hairline, and noticed some minor diffuse thinning up top starting in my early 30s. Just recently, it looks to have sped up a bit, and I am losing ground on the temples pretty quickly, and have some thinning in the crown area.

Anyhow, I ordered finasteride, and 5% minoxidil foam, to try and do something about this if I can.

Going to go with .5MG of finasteride 3x a week, took my first pill this morning.

My questions are:
-Would it be best to go with just the finasteride for a couple months, to see how effective it alone is for me before starting Minoxidil?

-Will finasteride maintain Minoxidil regrowth, if I add it later on, and want to discontinue using Minoxidil afterwards?

Basically, I am trying to use as little finasteride as possible to see if I can have an effective outcome. If it alone is not producing any notable results, I would add in Minoxidil. I would prefer, however, to not have to slather that sh*t on my head for the rest of my life.

Anybody had experience starting finasteride after Minoxidil regrowth has occurred?

Thanks for any help, appreciated!

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Better giving finasteride alone a solid 12 months before adding minoxidil, you may well be a great responder and not need minoxidil. If not satisfied with your results after the 12 month mark add minoxidil+dermarolling

HelpMyHair!!

My Regimen
Reaction score
Better giving finasteride alone a solid 12 months before adding minoxidil, you may well be a great responder and not need minoxidil. If not satisfied with your results after the 12 month mark add minoxidil+dermarolling

Thank you for the reply, appreciated!

Have you had any experience with minoxidil application, and if finasteride would maintain any minoxidil regrowth after stopping minoxidil?

I realize this is a "what if" kinda thing, just curious.
Thanks again for the reply!

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply, appreciated!

Have you had any experience with minoxidil application, and if finasteride would maintain any minoxidil regrowth after stopping minoxidil?

I realize this is a "what if" kinda thing, just curious.
Thanks again for the reply!

Finasteride will not maintain gains made from minoxidil, once on it you are on it for life, best wait and see if you are a good responder to finasteride first, it's unlikely you will get massive regrowth from finasteride alone, it usually meant for maintenance, but the rare few get amazing results from it alone.

HelpMyHair!!

My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride will not maintain gains made from minoxidil, once on it you are on it for life, best wait and see if you are a good responder to finasteride first, it's unlikely you will get massive regrowth from finasteride alone, it usually meant for maintenance, but the rare few get amazing results from it alone.

Gotcha, thank you. Hoping I hit the lottery with the finasteride, and dont get sides!

HelpMyHair!!

My Regimen
Reaction score
This shows the extent to which finasteride alone can do if you are an amazing responder, but don't get your hopes up. https://www.hairlossexperiences.com/threads/true-dorin-transplant-or-propecia.1893/

WOW that is amazing! Definitely not expecting results like that, but it would be awesome!

I'm not quite as bad as the gentleman in the pics to start, but basically have loss in those same areas.

I was going to go with .5MG every other day, but realized I have the gel coated tablets which make a mess when cutting them in half. Decided to just go with 1mg every other day for now and see how I tolerate it.

Do you dermaroll? Any experience with it alone (no minoxidil)?

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
WOW that is amazing! Definitely not expecting results like that, but it would be awesome!

I'm not quite as bad as the gentleman in the pics to start, but basically have loss in those same areas.

I was going to go with .5MG every other day, but realized I have the gel coated tablets which make a mess when cutting them in half. Decided to just go with 1mg every other day for now and see how I tolerate it.

Do you dermaroll? Any experience with it alone (no minoxidil)?

I have never dermarolled before on it's own, i used to roll when i was using topical minoxidil foam, i don't think you should expect a large cosmetic difference rolling alone, at least i can't think of anyone who has, but if you start topical min then definitely do so. Needling at a low depth before applying minoxidil(say 1mm daily) should work really well, i have seen great results with people doing that.

jazz1

Reaction score
Hey every other day is fine, but why not go full out with the 1mg dosage? I would also consider adding a Ketaconazole based shampoo like Nizoral or my favourite which is less harsh Regenepure DR. A derma roller would also be a good addition, 1mm needle size and use this every other day or twice per week.

HelpMyHair!!

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey every other day is fine, but why not go full out with the 1mg dosage? I would also consider adding a Ketaconazole based shampoo like Nizoral or my favourite which is less harsh Regenepure DR. A derma roller would also be a good addition, 1mm needle size and use this every other day or twice per week.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I am going ahead with the 1MG every other day, as my finasteride is gel coated and crumbles into powder if I try and cut them.

I was just going to go with .5 every other day to try and minimize the side risk, and also noting it had nearly the same efficiency on the Merck dosing results from the trial. Going with 1MG end now though.

I looked into the shampoos, but wasn't sure if I could get the 2% Nizoral over the counter or not.
Is regenepure DR available without a script?

I think I am going to go with a dermaroller as well. Really hoping to keep the minoxidil in my back pocket (along with dutasteride, etc) just in case the finasteride/shampoo/dermarolling does not work out.

If the finasteride would maintain minoxidil regrowth, I would be OK with that. Just dont want to use it, and be dependant on it forever, kinda deal.

Thanks again man, appreciate the advice and tips!

HelpMyHair!!

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is a good starting dose. Try to work your way up to at least 1 mg x 3 / week for improved efficiency.

Looks like I am going with 1mg EOD right out of the gate, since I can't split the pills. Fingers crossed there aren't issues!

jazz1

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the reply. I am going ahead with the 1MG every other day, as my finasteride is gel coated and crumbles into powder if I try and cut them.

I was just going to go with .5 every other day to try and minimize the side risk, and also noting it had nearly the same efficiency on the Merck dosing results from the trial. Going with 1MG end now though.

I looked into the shampoos, but wasn't sure if I could get the 2% Nizoral over the counter or not.
Is regenepure DR available without a script?

I think I am going to go with a dermaroller as well. Really hoping to keep the minoxidil in my back pocket (along with dutasteride, etc) just in case the finasteride/shampoo/dermarolling does not work out.

If the finasteride would maintain minoxidil regrowth, I would be OK with that. Just dont want to use it, and be dependant on it forever, kinda deal.

Thanks again man, appreciate the advice and tips!

Hey no worries, where are you from? In the UK Nizoral 2% is available over the counter and Regenepure DR is available in most countries but only has 1% Ketaconazole. I use both, but in regards to the best shampoo from Revita/Lipogaine BIG3 I prefer Regenepure DR. I use all these shampoos and rotate them around, but the best is Nizoral 2% and Regenepure DR, they also do a NT version but that has no Ketaconazole and is an addition.

HelpMyHair!!

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok, wanted to update this thread. This is week (4) of Finasteride for me.

I have been taking 1MG, M, W, F every week. I applied Minoxidil 5% foam, 1 time, on the first day just to see how it works, whats involved etc.

Notes- I did get the minor ball ache for a couple weeks, but it seems to have subsided. Erection quality has been the same overall, semen has been the same, and if anything I have been MORE horny than before since starting finasteride.

I also ordered Nizoral Shampoo, and have been using it 3-4x a week.

Also have been doing some pretty intense scalp massages. The first one I did, felt like it REALLY loosened something up in my scalp over the next few days. It hurt somewhat to pinch, twist, stretch all of the skin on my scalp. Recently, however, the skin on my scalp has been feeling much more pliable, loose, and just overall feels like it it more loosened up and "broken up" if that makes sense.

Hair- Nothing to note yet, but I have been experiencing shedding like a MF. I see a ton of baby hairs all along my hairline, but I dont believe these are new (not sure). Crown- not much of a difference as of yet, but its early, and I did not have a bald spot to start with, just some thinning.

Going forward: This week, I am going to go with 1MG of finasteride M, W, F, and I am going to also add .5MG on Tuesday and Thursday to see if any sides develop. I will continue this for the next 3-4 weeks and see if I tolerate it well or not.

The shedding is scary, my hairline is looking really thinned out coming into my 4th week. I know this is to be expected, and am going to push through it. Just really really hope its a good sign, and not permanent.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated. Really hoping the next 2-3 months bring some positive things with them.

HelpMyHair!!

My Regimen
Reaction score
Updating.
This was my 7th week on Finasteride.
Weeks 1-3 I was on 1MG 3x a week.

Handled that dose well, so weeks 4-6 I added .5MG on the off days (M, W, F 1MG, Tue, Thur .5MG).

This week, I went ahead and did 1MG every day M-F, and .5MG Saturday and Sunday.
As long as there are no issues with this for a couple weeks, I'll go ahead and do 1MG every day from then on. No differences so far compared to previous dosing.

Doseage: I have been slowly tapering the dose up to 1MG every day. I would be completely fine with the 1MG EOD that I started with, but I can honestly tell there is a huge difference on Monday morning, not taking finasteride on Saturday and Sunday. Even on my off days in the beginning (Tuesday, and Thursday), it seemed like my hair would slowly deteriorate throughout the day when I had not taken finasteride that day.

Maybe its in my mind?
I believe there is a hormonal imbalance we all have, and finding the sweet spot is different for everyone. Some respond to microdoses of finasteride, some need 1MG every day, some need dutasteride, and some need way more than dutasteride.

Still using Nizoral 3-4x a week, but will be cutting it down to 1-2× a week next week.

Still doing the scalp massages, probably about 5 minutes a day. Basically, I just will go over my entire scalp, pinching and twisting everywhere, and will spend a little extra time if I find any "hard" areas. Couple observations....after every scalp session, it feels like I get a bunch of crud loosened up or something. Whether its oil, dead skin, it feels and looks like the massages release some kind of sh*t every time.
Another observation, usually a day or so after an intense session, the scalp skin feels very flexible, pliable, etc. If I neglect an area for 3-4 days, it feels like it begins to start to tighten up again. Possibly in my head, but I dont think so.

Hair: Definitely seems like some positive stuff is happening. First, the shedding has not stopped, but has definitely slowed WAY down compared to a couple weeks ago.

Hair quality, density, and thickness seems to be improving, but its too early to say for sure. It feels way better already though. I can say for sure now I am seeing tiny new vellus hairs appearing here and there on my right temple, and a few on the front hairline. Crown, not much new to report there as of yet.

I plan on continuing this for at least 6 months before re-evaluating, or possibly adding more into the regimen.

Thats all for now, patience is a virtue in this battle, and I hope it pays off!

lonelypanda

My Regimen
Reaction score
Doseage: I have been slowly tapering the dose up to 1MG every day. I would be completely fine with the 1MG EOD that I started with, but I can honestly tell there is a huge difference on Monday morning, not taking finasteride on Saturday and Sunday. Even on my off days in the beginning (Tuesday, and Thursday), it seemed like my hair would slowly deteriorate throughout the day when I had not taken finasteride that day.

Maybe its in my mind?
Definitely in your mind. Hair doesn't work like that. It doesn't all fall out one day and grow back the next. It's either completely in your mind or your hair gets oily/greasy throughout the day and looks thinner like mine does.

HelpMyHair!!

My Regimen
Reaction score
Definitely in your mind. Hair doesn't work like that. It doesn't all fall out one day and grow back the next. It's either completely in your mind or your hair gets oily/greasy throughout the day and looks thinner like mine does.

I get that, not saying it falls out or anything. Its more of a situation where the hair feels weaker, and less dense on the off days, especially 2 days off of it.

Could be mental though, no question.