Starting finasteride (many question)

rantanplang17

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey, it's been 3 day on finasteride, still no side effect. Normally how much time to the side to appear ? And if I have no side, does that mean it will not work ? My father took finasteride, and his hair loss stopped, do I have good chance to stop my hair loss also ? And finally, why finasteride doesn't work on hairline ? (i'm looking for maintain not regrowth)

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
if you were to get sides they probably would have started by now. Sides and results are totally unrelated. finasteride does work on the hairline, just not as well as the back of your head. This is because the hairline is usually more sensitive to DHT than the crown.

Hairster

Reaction score
I just started finasteride beginning of this month and I'm on the same boat as you bro.:unsure: Definitely looking for some solutions for the hairline since I noticed it's thinning out.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
If I don't shed more, does thath mean finasteride doesn't work ?

false. Some people shed and get good results, some people don't shed and get good results. Its not strongly correlated with success

viet nom nom

Established Member
Reaction score
How long til the sides start? How long does it take you to psych yourself out?

rantanplang17

Established Member
Reaction score
And can you see good effect in the first day ? Or is it my imagination ? ( I think I loose less when I put my hand in my hair)

qerqrqwrqwr

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey, it's been 3 day on finasteride, still no side effect. Normally how much time to the side to appear ? And if I have no side, does that mean it will not work ? My father took finasteride, and his hair loss stopped, do I have good chance to stop my hair loss also ? And finally, why finasteride doesn't work on hairline ? (i'm looking for maintain not regrowth)

Side Effects: Loss of libido, penile impotence, gynocomastia (breast enlargement in males), reflex hyperandrogenecity (increased shedding,acne). The incidence of sexual side effects is likely much higher than the 2% reported in the PDR. If you are one of the people who are affected and therefore cannot take Propecia, there are more advanced phyto-sterol formulas that are equally, if not more efficacious than Propecia, due to their ability to simultaneously address multiple mechanisms. If you feel you must use Propecia to maintain hair growth, but are concerned with side effects, you can use it in conjunction with Natural phyto-Estrogen w/Pomegranate Extract to ameliorate or prevent side effects.

i found this info too

"I believe that genetics and diet will affect how your body will react to finasteride.

DHT is a more potent form of testosterone, and you have significantly less DHT than testosterone in your body. If you take fanasteride, your body must compensate for the lack of DHT by producing more testosterone. This why, for most people, finasteride raise testosterone.

However, some people may not be able to produce more testosterone because of a bad diet. For example, refined carbonhydrate will drop your testosterone level 25%, no wonder why some people may lack libido if they don't let their body compensate for the lack of DHT via a bad diet."

so take supplements and things which help with testosterone.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
sides will occur within first few days if you get them, and no your hair loss will not start to slow or stop for weeks or even months after starting the drug noticeably

Losingit80

Reaction score
I'm on day 5 of starting finasteride (not taking anything else). No sides (maybe incredibly minor ball ache in first day or two but likely in my head) to speak off. Like many medical conditions/treatment, people are far more likely to run to the internet to complain about side effects/issues than to say that everything is ok.

I had done a ton of reading on finasteride and so thought I had maybe set myself up for a placebo effect - luckily not.

Anyway, just wanted to say that I've had zero issues so far and now and keeping my fingers crossed for some results............

rantanplang17

Established Member
Reaction score
Something that I don't understand, is why if the med start being usefull immidiatly , why are we still shedding hair in the first months ? ( and i'm not talking about the big shed of finasteride)

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
Something that I don't understand, is why if the med start being usefull immidiatly , why are we still shedding hair in the first months ? ( and i'm not talking about the big shed of finasteride)

When a hair is shed, that hair was actually triggered to shed several weeks prior. So you will be shedding dead hairs as normal for weeks after you start taking finasteride that "died" several weeks ago, before you started taking it. Also, finasteride can cause hairs to shed as the follicle is not very flexible and when all of a sudden it heals due to the lack of DHT it is able to produce a stronger hair, and the weak hair that it is currently producing will be shed to make room for the new stronger hair. It is much more complicated and not quite exactly what happens but you get the idea. Also, you may still shed more than normal long after starting finasteride because the hairs are still too weak to maintain the long 2-6 year growth cycles a normal hair would be able to do so they will go through their growth cycles and shed faster than healthy hairs even though they aren't miniaturizing any further

rantanplang17

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your answer, you are lifes savers ! Just a last question. Is their a way to have a clue if it will be working or not, or if I won't have a clue till 6 months ?

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your answer, you are lifes savers ! Just a last question. Is their a way to have a clue if it will be working or not, or if I won't have a clue till 6 months ?

not really you just have to wait