Starting finasteride as an 18 year old

Charles1728

Reaction score
Would starting finasteride as an 18 year old be a smart decision? I know that there are always risks... decreased libido, erectile dusfunction, etc., and I'm aware of those and would consider them before committing to taking. But would there be any more adverse effects for taking it at 18? I can't grow a beard. I'm 5'11" and might get an inch or two taller. Would it affect either of those things?

What do you guys think?

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
You'll be fine starting Finasteride at age 18 if you don't get side effects from it and respond well to the medication. Side effects happen in a small percentage who use Finasteride and occur in about 2% of cases. If you were to experience side effects, you can simply quit the medication and they'll subside.

I really doubt Finasteride will do anything to growing taller since DHT serves little/no purpose after puberty. There have been men who reported less beard density while on the medication, though the evidence about that seems anecdotal.

Charles1728

Reaction score
You'll be fine starting Finasteride at age 18 if you don't get side effects from it and respond well to the medication. Side effects happen in a small percentage who use Finasteride and occur in about 2% of cases. If you were to experience side effects, you can simply quit the medication and they'll subside.

I really doubt Finasteride will do anything to growing taller since DHT serves little/no purpose after puberty. There have been men who reported less beard density while on the medication, though the evidence about that seems anecdotal.

Well my issue is that I can't really even grow a beard yet... only really some slight stubble underneath my chin and a little bit of sideburns, so I don't think I'm fully done with puberty yet. What do you have to say about that? Am I risking never being able to grow a beard? As someone suffering early hair loss, the last thing I want is to not be able to grow a beard either.

- - - Updated - - -

good luck to you mate!

Thanks. Haven't committed to taking anything yet though. Might just start with some kirkland liquid and see how that goes.

g.i joey

Reaction score
Well i have some friends at 22-23 who still cant grow a full beard without finasteride, they have to shave every couple of days because its all patchy. Do you have a brother/father who is capable of growing a full beard? ask them when they realized they had a full beard. id say that taking finasteride would probably slow down beard development by alot because 5ar2 is found in facial hair. Id rather be a nw2/3 with a full beard rather than nw1 with no beard, but thats just my opinion. It might be smarter to give yourself a year and let your beard come in, ONLY if your hairloss is early as you say.

Charles1728

Reaction score
Well i have some friends at 22-23 who still cant grow a full beard without finasteride, they have to shave every couple of days because its all patchy. Do you have a brother/father who is capable of growing a full beard? ask them when they realized they had a full beard. id say that taking finasteride would probably slow down beard development by alot because 5ar2 is found in facial hair. Id rather be a nw2/3 with a full beard rather than nw1 with no beard, but thats just my opinion. It might be smarter to give yourself a year and let your beard come in, ONLY if your hairloss is early as you say.

Both brother and dad could grow a full beard by 22-24. Buy they also both have a lot more body hair than me to begin with. And it's early-ish I would say, but I wouldn't really call it an NW1. Waiting until 24 would probably be too long. I don't know what to do. Do you think minoxidil has the same issues?

dusty

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
minoxidil in my opinion is worthless without finasteride because is does not target the cause of your hair loss. You could go on minoxidil but if you are losing hair I would definitely try to get on finasteride and stick with it. Talk to a couple dermatologists and get their opinions then decide.
I wish I would have jumped on finasteride the day I turned 18

g.i joey

Reaction score
Damn then it would be risky business man. minoxidil actually promotes growth wherever you apply it as long as there is hair follicles in that area.. I've read about people putting it on their face to promote beard growth although I wouldn't really advise that. But no minoxidil used for hairloss won't effect beard growth, it's better to use minoxidil rather than nothing imo. Plus you'll follow it with finasteride in a yr or 2.

I have a full beard but I can't grow it thick like some people. I get line ups done and ever since I started finasteride I go once a week as oppose to twice a week.

Rick12

Reaction score
I personally wouldn't, but it is really your choice. Just be aware of the side effects.