starting a routine

hubjoe

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My hairline has been receding slowly for 5 years (I'm 28), and I've noticed in the past 2 years that I'm also thinning on top. At first I tried to deny it by just saying to myself that I always had a widow's peak and that I was getting a maturity hairline. As the thinning got more and more noticeable on top, I couldn't deny it anymore. Other people had noticed too.

I'd say that I am between a Norwood 2-3 with thinning on top.

Last month, I decided to start a fight to try to do something about my hair loss. I've been on finasteride 1 mg/day for 2 weeks now. I've noticed mild versions of some side effects, but I'm hoping, from what I've read, that these will subside in time.

I've been reading these boards since I started taking finasteride to try to get as much information as possible. This has been a great resource.

Learning all about the big 3 and other options has been really informative. I had never heard of Nizoral before, so I've decided to add nizoral 2% to my finasteride routine 2-3 times a week.

Reading through past posts, it seems like finasteride and nizoral are the way to start a routine. My question is: should I add min too? Or should I wait a while (if so, how long?) trying finasteride/nizoral to see what they do for me?

I know I've got to put a year commitment into any routine before evaluating results, so I'm going to be patient. I also have decided to take some pics now and every 3 months for a year so I can try to judge if things are working. I'm hoping to maintain--and it would be great to see some regrowth.

Thanks for this resource and for any comments on my initial routine.

too bald too furious

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hubjoe said:
Hi guys,
My question is: should I add min too? Or should I wait a while (if so, how long?) trying finasteride/nizoral to see what they do for me?

If you want regrowth..YES.
If you are happy with what you have on your head right now and would like to maintain/thicken it and perhaps grow a little bit back...stick to finasteride and nizoral.
I also suggest starting with 1% Nizoral rather than 2%.

hubjoe

Reaction score
thanks for the feedback

thanks. couple of more questions:

is 2% nizoral rougher on your scalp? I guess I fell into the trap of thinking that more (higher percentage) would be better.

regrowth would be great, but i thought i might be going overboard right away with the triple attack.

plus, a pill a day + shampoo a few times a week also seems like it will be easy to stick with.

the directions say to apply min twice a day. i noticed some guys only have it once a day in their routines on here. do you start with twice and then cut back to once a day when you're ready to maintain?

too bald too furious

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: thanks for the feedback

hubjoe said:
is 2% nizoral rougher on your scalp? I guess I fell into the trap of thinking that more (higher percentage) would be better.

2% Nizoral has twice as much active ingredient "Ketoconazole" than the 1%.
Ketoconazole is used to treat Seborrea Dermatitis, but the point in using 1% Nizoral in your regimen is to remove any inflammation/itch. This happens when DHT attacks the hair follicles. Unless you have a severe case of dandruff and terrible itching, 1% is sufficient.

Regarding minoxidil, yeap..you have to apply it 2 times a day, every day for rest of your life.

Keeping regimen of just Finasteride and Nizoral is the best to start. You can add minoxidil after 1 year if you are not happy with your results or you want more regrowth.