Starting a regimen with no history of hairloss in family?

Magma

Reaction score
I've read from numerous sources that propecia/finasteride/minoxidil with no family history of hairloss is discouraged? I'm losing my hair and I know it's permanent as I'm thinning all over and I've developed these tiny bald spots all over my head although it's not at all noticeable and most people (especially those in my family) feel I'm stressing over nothing. I do have one of these same exact patches near the edge of my hairline, but I still have the majority of my temple hair on both sides and haven't receded at all (I was born with an NW1 hairline). As far as my family history is concerned, both grandfathers are in their 80s and have full heads of hair (they've only recently reached NW2 from NW1) while most of my uncles, father, and cousins are all either NW0 and NW1. From what I've heard from my family, my great grandfathers also had full heads of hair right up until their deaths.

Clearly, I have male pattern baldness and it must have skipped several generations. I hope to maintain what I have right now for as long as possible. I'm currently 23 and I can't even notice any recession at all, and I want to keep it that way. What's startling to me is how fast it started. Just 5 months ago my hair was perfectly healthy, and there was no thinning or these small bald spots all over the place. Is this not a possible manifestation of aggressive male pattern baldness? Best I start on a regimen as soon as possible, no?

TheHandsomeLurker

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm losing my hair and I know it's permanent as I'm thinning all over and I've developed these tiny bald spots all over my head although it's not at all noticeable and most people

What you described is almost never how male pattern baldness manifests. In fact, most minoxidil comes with a warning saying that if your hair loss looks like this, don't use the product and consult a dermatologist immediately. I suggest you do that.

Magma

Reaction score
What you described is almost never how male pattern baldness manifests. In fact, most minoxidil comes with a warning saying that if your hair loss looks like this, don't use the product and consult a dermatologist immediately. I suggest you do that.

Unfortunately, a dermatologist would require both time and money that I do not have to waste at this time, and how can you be so sure that I do not have male pattern baldness? The only possible thing that could account for this was that about 5 months ago I started to eat very little (not out of diet, but due to stress and time constraints) and was likely eating less than 1500 calories per day and dropped 70 lbs. That was an extremely stressful period of my life.

But from my research, such stress or starvation only affects women's hair and not men. So, there's only one possible cause of this: male pattern baldness. Why waste time and money to get diagnosed with something you already know you have?

Am I Too Pate

Reaction score
I'd stop and take a few deep breaths before undertaking the course of action you propose. In the first place what's going to cost you money is not the dermatologist, but the years you'll spend either popping pills or applying lotion. Grab a calculator and do the math over 10 years, or whatever timeline you choose. It aint cheap. As the Handsome One says, the pattern you're describing is not typical male pattern baldness in any way shape or form. Think of the dermatologist as an investment that could save you a lot of time, money and potential side effects.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
You'll have to go see a dermatologist if you want a finasteride prescription anyway, so no matter what you do, a trip to the dermatologists is non negotiable. Either go to a dermatologist or do nothing, and see if it fixes itself. Your choice.

headless

Established Member
Reaction score
But from my research, such stress or starvation only affects women's hair and not men. So, there's only one possible cause of this: male pattern baldness.

False. Men's hair is also effected by stress and changes in diet. Your case does not sound like male pattern baldness at all. Go see a doctor, you've got other complaints to get checked out. Good luck..

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
a picture or two may help to see what's going on with your hair. cheers..

Magma

Reaction score
Okay, I've checked the mirror today and I'm starting to notice some recession at both temples. It's barely noticeable, but upon further examination it appears the hair at my temples are starting to miniaturize and die off.

I'm going to go see my GP on monday, and have him refer me to a dermatologist. But this is definitely male pattern baldness, which is just my luck as everyone in my family (other than a cousin or two) have full heads of hair, including even my grand uncles.