started "Strating Strength" feeling like a man

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ok Harrie i think i get it ,so ill go lower on the bench ,i also stalled on the militarry press so ill have to reset on that as well squat and deadlift are doing fine so im not worried
today i went up 5kg on the squat and got 5,5,4 im quite sure its because i smoked alot of weed yesterday and slept only 5 hours
im enjoying squatting and deadlifting alot, it feels so powerfull

by the way Harrie thankis alot for your help and great answers youve been very helpfull and i really appriciate it :)

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
roki said:
i smoked alot of weed yesterday and slept only 5 hours

Smoking weed on a regular basis suppreses the production of testosterone. That could be why you've always been really skinny.

Though - every pothead I've known had great hair too. :)

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yeah i have been smoking regularly for the last 5 years i hardly smoke now (maybe once a week) i think the problem was that i was tired,it dosent matter because 5,5,4 also counts
anyway im getting much bigger fast and my lower back hasent been better in a long time, im very satisfied with the results so far, it really is a great program for a novice

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hey harie i need help again
so ive stalled at the squat at 57.5kg ive stalled at the military press at 32.5kg my deadlift is doing fine ive raised it 7.5 kg last workout to 62.5kg and it was hard but possible
i guess i started to high on the squat and press
also i didnt listen to you when you told me to reset my bench press and the last workout i hardly manged to bench 50 kg when my p.r. is actually 52.5 so i guess you were right :oops:
row is going fine
anyway tell me what to do, how should i reset and how heavy should i lift ?and how much should i go up on each workout ?
also :isnt this low weight to stall at? does it meqn my genetic potential is not high?
oh another thing is i dont get any doms in my legs anymore ,is it good or bad?
thanks in advance

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
A few questions 1st.

How much do you weigh?
How much food are you eating per day?
Do you drink a pre-workout shake before hitting the gym?
Do you drink a post-workout shake within 45 minutes of lifting?
Are you drinking enough water?
Are you getting enough rest?

As for DOMS - your muscles don't have to be sore to have an exercise build more muscle. You're only sore at the beginning because your muscles aren't used to the load you're making them lift. Eventually, your muscles get used to what you're doing and aren't as sore, or aren't sore. I really have to push myself hard, or totally switch up the exercises I'm doing to have my muscles be sore at all.

My advice is to reset everything, including the deadlift.

Figure out what your PR is on all lifts and shoot for 4 weeks to hit them, adjusting the weights every workout accordingly. Yes, it sucks to start out super light, but it's the key to not failing so soon. You can ramp even slower than that if you want to. I started out super light and it took me 6 weeks to match my old PR on some lifts. It's all up to you how slow you want to ramp.

On this program, you should at least be able to match your old PR's (if you've taken years off of lifting) and usually blast past your old PR's on all lifts. Especially on squats/deads.

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
im around 62 kg and 170 cm it changes becuase i drink 3-4 liters a day and my nutrition is perfect not only very helthy stuff but im a coplete nazi on my diet in order to gain muscle including the shakes and everything im also supplementing cratine but it dosent make any noticable difference
i rest enough , there are usually 3-4 days a week when i sleep only 6 hrs but i makeup for it usually (i know its not the best)
my bodyfat is around 10%(the machine in the gym isnt so accurate)
i dont know my p.r, at the row because i started low ,i think maybe it will be around 55 kg
so ill do what you say and reset
wht will give me the best chance to break p.rs? slow increase?

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you take 4 weeks to match your old PR's, you'll have done 36 sets of squats & 18 sets of everything else. That should build up your strength levels enough to match your old PR's. If you've taken a very long time off from lifting at your old PR's, then ramp slower than 4 weeks if you think you need to.

Now that I'm thinking about this some more...When you said you failed on bench/military etc, did you get the 1st set of 5 in and fail on sets 2 and 3?

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i could do the first but my technique was really dodgy i just didnt manage to do it right
my p.rs are current ones from just now this program is the first time im doing barbell trainning (besides the bench)
allright here it is anyways

squat p.r 57.5 kg ill start at 35 and raise 2.5kg each workout that should bring me to 65 kg after 4 weeks

deadlift p.r 62.5 but i think i can do 70kg i just havent tried so ill go for 40kg and raise 10kg in the beginning and then less depend on how hard it gets
military press p.r. 32.5 kg starting 20kg going up 2.5 kg
bench press p.r. 52.5 starting with 40 kg going up 2.5 kg
row -i dont know my p.r. ill have to guess something ill just see what feels correct
how does it look?
another question how long do you think it would take me to get to 80 kg if im devoted and i eat alot?
i wonder if 90 kg would still look proportional due to my hight although i know its a long way from now ...
sorry for all the questioons ,thanks for you help :)

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
roki said:
how does it look?
another question how long do you think it would take me to get to 80 kg if im devoted and i eat alot?

It looks like a good plan to me. As for weighing 80kg...18kg is a lot of weight to put on. It would probably take you at least a year to do that.

How many calories per day are you eating?

Also - since you're getting the 1st set of 5, but failing on the others, how many minutes are you resting between sets? When the weights got heavier, some days I was resting 7 - 10 minutes between sets on squats and 5 minutes between sets on all other lifts.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sounds great Roki, keep up the great squatting and deading work. We'll make men out of you guys yet. :)

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i just came back from a workout i reseted and i squatted only 31kg after the first rep i realised i my right leg is as sore as it gets i did all the sets but it was hard as hell ,haha im walking like a duck now it is mainly on my quads(the thigh?)
i rowd 31 kg im not good at it my technique is not so good maybe i should do lower
i did 18.5 kg military press that was easy
i can only guess how many clories im eating a day because i never counted but i think its around 3000 only clean healthy stuff low suger low fat diet
i havent rested so long when it was heavier i did 5 min rest not more
ill try to rest more when it gets heavy on this round.
thanks.
Hey Joseph thanks for the fidback im gactuallt getting bigger everyday everybody notices and tells me. the deadlift is my new favorite exercise