Started Propecia Yesterday, What to Expect?

eshack

Reaction score
I'm a 20 year old male (soon to be 21) suffering from male pattern baldness. TLDR is bolded at the bottom. Below is some background information which may or may not be relevant.

For the past 5-6 months, I have been experiencing hair loss primarily around the hairline/temple region, as well as some less-noticeable thinning at the crown (you must be really looking at it to notice). Originally, I thought that the hair loss was simply the result of my new medication (prescribed Adderall in August 2014), stress from being a full-time college student, the result of a vitamin/mineral deficiency, or a thyroid problem. I don't know anyone in my family with male pattern baldness, so I incorrectly assumed that it was impossible for me to have it.

After being in denial about my hair loss for several months, I decided to look further into the matter. I saw my doctor in November to discuss my concerns, and after pushing my hair back and examining my hairline, he almost immediately said that it was male pattern baldness. He gave me my options (1. Rogaine; 2. Propecia; or 3. Do nothing and accept nature and the cards I was dealt). He seemed to be in favor of letting nature take its course. Naturally, even after he gave me this diagnosis, I attributed it to other possibilities (low thyroid, vitamin/mineral deficiencies, etc.). After he explained the potential side effects of Propecia, I told him that I'd need some time to think things over. I left without a prescription, and tried to ignore the hair loss, hoping that maybe it was just all in my head. I didn't want to start Propecia due to the potential sexual side effects, and I didn't want to use Rogaine due to how messy it is to apply (not to mention the dry, itchy, flaky scalp that many people experience).

Come December (one month later), my hair loss was getting progressively more noticeable. I went back to my doctor, and asked that blood tests be done to rule out other possibilities. Blood work was done, and the results came back just as my doctor had expected they would --- normal thyroid, and no vitamin/mineral deficiencies other than low vitamin D (correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think low levels of vitamin D can cause male pattern baldness). I accepted the diagnosis of male pattern baldness and asked for a prescription for Propecia. Because of the high cost of brand name Propecia, he recommended that I be prescribed the generic finasteride 5mg and cut them into quarters (taking 1/4 of the 5mg tablet = 1.25mg daily). Although I've had the prescription since December, I held onto it without getting it filled until just a couple days ago because I was nervous about the potential side effects. Finally, I decided that the risk of going bald before 25 was far greater than the risk of potential side effects, although I'm not so sure... Hopefully I'm in the majority that tolerate the treatment well with minimal side effects, but I know that it's possible that I may experience some side effects.

TLDR: 20 year old male experiencing hair loss/thinning primarily around hairline and at temples, but to a small extent around the crown. Currently not too noticeable. Last night I took my first dose of finasteride 1.25mg, and I'm about to take my second dose tonight before going to sleep. I haven't noticed any side effects yet, other than a slight testicular pain which might just be a placebo effect (i.e., in my head because I'm focusing on side effects). Below are some questions that I have regarding treatment:

1. What can I expect while being on this medication, in terms of both effectiveness and side effects?

2. What is the frequency of side effects, and which are most common? Is it true that finasteride can cause permanent sterility? (I assume not, but it's worth asking since I one day plan on having children.)

3. How should I screen or monitor myself for side effects? Also, if any side effects do arise, how should I deal with them (e.g., this testicle pain I'm feeling at the moment, sexual side effects, etc.)?

4. Should I have my doctor perform any routine tests for the duration that I'm on the medication? For example, blood tests, liver function tests, prostate tests, etc.?

5. Finally, is there any additional information or advice that I should know as I begin treatment?

Thanks in advance for reading and responding!

- - - Updated - - -

bump? :eek:

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
1. 40% chance you will maintain but not regrow, 50% of regrowth to some degree, 10% chance of losing at a slower rate
2. Low libido & ED. Finasteride does not sterilize men, only lower sperm counts, not by a huge amount
3. Don't. You will know. If you get sides stay on for like 2 weeks or so see if they get better
4. Not really necessary
5. Be patient

0-100realquick

Established Member
Reaction score
^ perfectly answered by zzzzz.

My advice would be to live your life as you normally would, and majority of people that use propecia are successful with maintaining and/or regrowing hair. Also, majority of people don't get severe sides. The mind is a powerful thing and can make you believe that you are getting "side effects". Just don't worry about it and you will be fine. Good luck.

sportsfan12

Established Member
Reaction score
^ perfectly answered by zzzzz.

My advice would be to live your life as you normally would, and majority of people that use propecia are successful with maintaining and/or regrowing hair. Also, majority of people don't get severe sides. The mind is a powerful thing and can make you believe that you are getting "side effects". Just don't worry about it and you will be fine. Good luck.

Pretty much was in your EXACT same boat. First noticed at 23, didn't do anything until it became worse 2 years later. I'm 2 1/2 weeks in and 0 sides whatsoever. Obviously too soon to judge but just giving my 2 cents. I'm in medical sales and pretty much drive around all day meeting customers and prospective customers and I just go about my normal day. I will say I'm a hell of a lot happier and more euphoric knowing I'm doing what I can to keep/thicken my hair.

Use rogaine without a doubt I used that the 2 years I pondered propecia- I saw 2 derms both willing to write the script. One bald. One not who has taken propecia for 10 years with no sides. If you decide to take it, go about your day as you would before. Be mindful of any serious sides but the data shows sides are pretty rare.

ozzir

Reaction score
Hello brother.. i feel your concern.. i am 23, kept denying the concerns of my ex that i was losing my hair and kept blaming it on a double crown, however i can now see the thinning increase. just popped my first propecia, got me as excited as when i popped my first X back when i was a rebelling teen (now im rebelling in my 20s, always work hard and play harder , you live once so ff it). I realised that with the kind of work i do, which involves a lot of stress, especially during production support onsite visits like the one im on now in Brazil, that the thinning increased. Some friends who are on propecia suggested it, have seen many positives and little to no negatives, so ytf not ??? we will never know until we try.. hope it comes with a nice side of buzz ;)