Started Oral minoxidil 5 weeks ago (shedding increase)

Rudi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
were you on topical prior to starting OM? if so, did you stop topical when starting OM or continue?
I never used minoxidil topical over the last two decades.
My shedding was just slightly elevated above what I consider normal.

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Just an update. About a month ago i got my dr to double my dosage. Ive been using the oral min for about 4 or 5 months now.
I think it has clearly helped the back of my head. its still thinish, but not nearly as bad as it was around Feb-April of this year. So its helping there, im almost certain of it.

But my hairline is still regressing, and the overall thickness doesnt seem to be improving either. I still didnt bother with needling.

Anyway just a progress report. I will continue. If nothing else, ill be thin up front, but solid in the back.

Baldingtooyoung

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just an update. About a month ago i got my dr to double my dosage. Ive been using the oral min for about 4 or 5 months now.
I think it has clearly helped the back of my head. its still thinish, but not nearly as bad as it was around Feb-April of this year. So its helping there, im almost certain of it.

But my hairline is still regressing, and the overall thickness doesnt seem to be improving either. I still didnt bother with needling.

Anyway just a progress report. I will continue. If nothing else, ill be thin up front, but solid in the back.
Nice man. I'm month 3-ish now and seen a defintely thicken of my hairs. Not so much regrowth but im diffuse and still have my 16 year old hairline. The middle part is still a little bit thin under harsh lightning but if that's fixed in 3 months i'll have perfect hair again.

This After finasteride that did nothing and dutasteride raped my Hair to pieces.

I take
5mg OM
1,25MG finasteride

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Nice man. I'm month 3-ish now and seen a defintely thicken of my hairs. Not so much regrowth but im diffuse and still have my 16 year old hairline. The middle part is still a little bit thin under harsh lightning but if that's fixed in 3 months i'll have perfect hair again.

This After finasteride that did nothing and dutasteride raped my Hair to pieces.

I take
5mg OM
1,25MG finasteride
Did dutasteride destroy the overall thickness or hurt certain areas in particular?

I noticed dutasteride did nothing for my hairline, in fact i think it made it worse. I dont know if the OM is hurting my hairline , but its def not regrowing anything in that area for sure.
Im currently taking OM, finasteride (daily) and dutasteride (once a week)

Baldingtooyoung

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Did dutasteride destroy the overall thickness or hurt certain areas in particular?

I noticed dutasteride did nothing for my hairline, in fact i think it made it worse. I dont know if the OM is hurting my hairline , but its def not regrowing anything in that area for sure.
Im currently taking OM, finasteride (daily) and dutasteride (once a week)
dutasteride just fucked all around density

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had a brutal shed when i first started oral min, it will subside in time. My only problem with it was that i didn't get the results i wanted. Im just using topical min and needling right now.

Gump

My Regimen
Reaction score
where are you all getting your oral minoxidil? A normal derm, or someone that specializes in hair loss?

Baldingtooyoung

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I had a brutal shed when i first started oral min, it will subside in time. My only problem with it was that i didn't get the results i wanted. Im just using topical min and needling right now.
You think that works better?
5mg had a 100% response rate.

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
where are you all getting your oral minoxidil? A normal derm, or someone that specializes in hair loss?
I got my dermatologist to write a prescription. She started with 2.5mg and moved me up to 5.

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
how long do you think it took for the shed to stop. Im on about month 5 now, and it seems to be slowing.
2 months in and i was shedding a ton each morning.