Started Finasteride...what Results Can I Expect?

willwork4pizza

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
After a year of minoxidil, I decided to bite the bullet and give finasteride a try per the recommendation of my new dermatologist. He instructed me to continue using the minoxidil once per day.

I'm only 5 doses in, but so far no adverse effects from what I can tell.

What should I continue doing in addition to the finasteride and minoxidil? Previously, I was doing nizoral 2x/week, biotin every other day and derma-rolling once a week. Should I continue any of those?

Here's where I'm at today:

IMG_8786.jpg
IMG_8788.jpg
IMG_8789.jpg
IMG_8790.jpg
IMG_8791.jpg

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
After a year of minoxidil, I decided to bite the bullet and give finasteride a try per the recommendation of my new dermatologist. He instructed me to continue using the minoxidil once per day.

I'm only 5 doses in, but so far no adverse effects from what I can tell.

What should I continue doing in addition to the finasteride and minoxidil? Previously, I was doing nizoral 2x/week, biotin every other day and derma-rolling once a week. Should I continue any of those?

Here's where I'm at today:

View attachment 128541
View attachment 128542
View attachment 128543
View attachment 128544
View attachment 128545
If your scalp is inflamed and/or flaky then continue w Nizo but have in mind that it dries your hair like sh*t. Maybe cycle some other shampoos to keep any scalp issues at bay. biotin... Is more like snake oil really. No conclusive studies that show whether biotin supplements make any difference. Especially in male pattern baldness.

washed_up

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Pretty rare for any significant regrowth in slick bald temple areas. I would say you should be happy that the rest of your hair looks pretty solid and if your regimen can help you hold on to that you're good.

willwork4pizza

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If your scalp is inflamed and/or flaky then continue w Nizo but have in mind that it dries your hair like sh*t. Maybe cycle some other shampoos to keep any scalp issues at bay. biotin... Is more like snake oil really. No conclusive studies that show whether biotin supplements make any difference. Especially in male pattern baldness.

I only use it two times per week and haven't noticed any major drying. My skin/scalp is fairly oily as is, so a little drying wouldn't be the worst thing to happen to it. I use plain Head & Shoulders shampoo on other days. Should I use something else?

I'll definitely do away with the biotin. I hated having to buy it.

Pretty rare for any significant regrowth in slick bald temple areas. I would say you should be happy that the rest of your hair looks pretty solid and if your regimen can help you hold on to that you're good.

I still have some hair in the temple areas. They've always been high. I can't tell if the thin areas are due to the minoxidil or if they're thinning. It's hard comparing old photos because there doesn't seem to be a hugely noticeable difference from when I started monitoring it a couple of years ago.

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I only use it two times per week and haven't noticed any major drying. My skin/scalp is fairly oily as is, so a little drying wouldn't be the worst thing to happen to it. I use plain Head & Shoulders shampoo on other days. Should I use something else?

I'll definitely do away with the biotin. I hated having to buy it.

I still have some hair in the temple areas. They've always been high. I can't tell if the thin areas are due to the minoxidil or if they're thinning. It's hard comparing old photos because there doesn't seem to be a hugely noticeable difference from when I started monitoring it a couple of years ago.
Twice per week is actually often enough. But if you say it doesn't bother you or dries your hair too much maybe it's not that bad. I usually cycle between Nizoral and Selsun Blue. I also mix Selsun blue with pura d'or (50/50). Sometimes I add essential oils (tea tree oil, rosemary etc.). Seems to be doing well for skin.