Started Finasteride - Not Satisfied, Other Dht Blockers?

niall wimbaher

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I started off using Minoxodil(Rogaine) once daily for regrowth.

Obviously, that didn't work. I moved up to twice daily after 2 years. That still wasn't good enough.

I signed up for keeps and now take 1 mg finasteride daily. It works best so far, but again, isn't 100%.

I'm wondering if I should add other DHT blockers into this routine in order to be more effective.

What are everyones thoughts?

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
How long have you been using Finasteride and what does 'it works but not 100%' mean?

niall wimbaher

My Regimen
Reaction score
How long have you been using Finasteride and what does 'it works but not 100%' mean?

I've been on finasteride for a month. What I mean by it not working 100% is that its brought back my hairline somewhat but it doesn't block enough DHT to effectively return it to where it originally was.

So I'm wondering if I should include natural DHT blockers in my routine as well.

niall wimbaher

My Regimen
Reaction score
have you any sides from finasteride? If not look into avodart

No, I really don't have any side effects from finasteride. i just read up on dutasteride and that seems like what I beleieve I need.

I wanted to up the dosage on my finasteride prescription but the only FDA-approved dose for hair loss is 1 mg.

How would I go about getting a prescription for dutasteride?

Thanks for the help, by the way!

skyline999

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You need to give finasteride time if you’ve only been using it for 1 month. You need to judge it between the 6-12 month mark

thetdog666

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No, I really don't have any side effects from finasteride. i just read up on dutasteride and that seems like what I beleieve I need.

I wanted to up the dosage on my finasteride prescription but the only FDA-approved dose for hair loss is 1 mg.

How would I go about getting a prescription for dutasteride?

Thanks for the help, by the way!
Are you from the UK? a month on finasteride aint long enough. i would maybe evaluate after a year. Also there is no quick fix out there when it comes to regrowing hair.......thats if your one of the lucky ones that gets regrowth :)

niall wimbaher

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you from the UK? a month on finasteride aint long enough. i would maybe evaluate after a year. Also there is no quick fix out there when it comes to regrowing hair.......thats if your one of the lucky ones that gets regrowth :)

Do you have any other suggestions to stop any loss and help with regrowth while I'm taking finasteride?

Night

Established Member
Reaction score
finasteride takes at least a year to show any regrowth on average. Some people it's quicker (me for example) others it takes up to two years. A study showed that some patients still had regrowth after 5 years on the drug. A month is too short for hair loss, you are fighting a long term battle.

Divallo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you have any other suggestions to stop any loss and help with regrowth while I'm taking finasteride?

Use a 1.5mm dermapen. There are no side effects to this treatment except physical pain. Just make sure you keep it clean and look up a tutorial to get an idea for how it goes. Studies compare it to minoxidil in terms of effects and they have a synergistic relationship (Do not put minoxidil in open dermapen wounds though!).

The dermapen won't stop loss, but will facilitate regrowth that isn't dependent on any ongoing use of medication in the sense minoxidil hair is. (finasteride will help keep these hairs too which is nice.)

hz123456

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride isn’t going to have an impact within 1 month so I’m somewhat skeptical of that.

Mind posting a photo to gauge how severe the hairloss is?