Started Finasteride: If I'll get sides what is the window they'll occur in?

hair2stay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've started at 0.25 mgs per day 3 days in: no sides, just total relief that i've started.....

If sides are coming, is their a window? For example, does it take a few weeks to develop sides? If after a month I still don't have sides is it safe to say I will not get them or can sides develop months or years after?

Thank you

NickyA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
They could happen later on, like six months after starting your treatment, a year or two later... But in those cases it can sometimes be handled by reducing the dosage or frequency and they will subside or stop. Most people that have to straight up quit get side effects earlier, three or four months top.

hair2stay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
They could happen later on, like six months after starting your treatment, a year or two later... But in those cases it can sometimes be handled by reducing the dosage or frequency and they will subside or stop. Most people that have to straight up quit get side effects earlier, three or four months top.
Ok, thank you very much ,

I read (somewhere...) that some sides lessen with time once our body adjusts. Is it possible to ride it out and sides can diminish? Is there initial sides that are more common and less worrisome or is it very individualized?

NickyA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok, thank you very much ,

I read (somewhere...) that some sides lessen with time once our body adjusts. Is it possible to ride it out and sides can diminish? Is there initial sides that are more common and less worrisome or is it very individualized?
Yes, you might get side effects at first but they might go away on their own (Not so common) or if you reduce dosage or frequency. Many people report testicular pain at first, which is benign and goes away on its own after two or three weeks.

hair2stay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
ok thanks - the testicular pain sounds intimidating...not the pain per se but the idea that we have to - or i'm willing to - do almost anything to keep my hair.......

MR sinister

My Regimen
Reaction score
ok thanks - the testicular pain sounds intimidating...not the pain per se but the idea that we have to - or i'm willing to - do almost anything to keep my hair.......
This for me was the biggest issue. Hopefully you won’t experience any sides, but if you get testicular pain, you’ll know instantly and won’t want to go anywhere near finasteride ever again I tried to persist on and off for months, with smaller doses but it just wasn’t worth it for me in the end. Good Luck

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well , it depend on how is your life. For example, lets say you have an exam or a job interview. You are not simple inhibiting DHT, you actually inhibiting an enzyme ( 5-alpha reductase ) . And that enzyme is part of many , many other reactions, not DHT related. For example, it convert Dihydroprogesterone into Allopregnolone, that is an neurosteroid , a calm one, the kind you need on situation of stress, to deal with it . So, next time you have an stress situation, you will react much worst than when you was without Finasteride . And there are another 8 hormones that are not longer produced ( actually, that are extremly reduce it ) now that you are on Finasteride .
So, you get it ? Inhibiting DHT per se is bad, But Finasteride is much worst cause the way it inhibit it .
Sides are comming for sure, the question is if you are going to tolerate it or not. If you want your body working 100 % , finasteride orally is not the right option.

PRIMEN

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Everyone's different, sensitivity is different, the amount of DHT is different. I get sides after 3-4 weeks including acne, watery sperm, weak ejaculation, blurred vision, slower reaction time and thinking process.

hair2stay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Everyone's different, sensitivity is different, the amount of DHT is different. I get sides after 3-4 weeks including acne, watery sperm, weak ejaculation, blurred vision, slower reaction time and thinking process.
Are you still taking it?

hair2stay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well , it depend on how is your life. For example, lets say you have an exam or a job interview. You are not simple inhibiting DHT, you actually inhibiting an enzyme ( 5-alpha reductase ) . And that enzyme is part of many , many other reactions, not DHT related. For example, it convert Dihydroprogesterone into Allopregnolone, that is an neurosteroid , a calm one, the kind you need on situation of stress, to deal with it . So, next time you have an stress situation, you will react much worst than when you was without Finasteride . And there are another 8 hormones that are not longer produced ( actually, that are extremly reduce it ) now that you are on Finasteride .
So, you get it ? Inhibiting DHT per se is bad, But Finasteride is much worst cause the way it inhibit it .
Sides are comming for sure, the question is if you are going to tolerate it or not. If you want your body working 100 % , finasteride orally is not the right option.
Do you think topical finasteride is an option? Any other options?

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you think topical finasteride is an option? Any other options?
Well, yes, at least, you can try to do a a very low concentration, 0.025 % of finasteride and see . Something will go systemic, but may be at that dose ( at least what it can be see it on studies ) will not lower as much as oral .
There are tons of things you can use in a lotion Minoxidil , tretinoin, cetirizine , ketoconazole, melatonin,latanoprost, bitamoprost,alphatradiol, etc . There are a lot of studies done in humans showing that all the drugs I mention works .
Search for online for pharmacies that compound lotions, other simple give you a prescription and then you compound in a pharmacy near you .
for example :
they need a prescription, simple go for an online ( or even ask them a doctor recomendation ) and search for doctor prescription "consultation " .
There are many around USA, and if you are not from USA , in your country , in your town, there must be a pharmacy that compound lotion . All are really old drugs available in most of the countries .

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, Yes, there are humans and not humans . You are inhibiting 9 NATURAL hormones that 99% chances are in NORMAL range , so.....

badnewsbearer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
testicle pain is in fact not a problem according to Drs i have talked to. it is also a very rare aide effect, much rarer than ED or loss of libido.

also once again, serum dht is a completely worthless metric to go by, go to any andrologist as a man with hypogonadism they will never grt blood drawn and looj at dht. for anytjing male sexuality, free T to free estradiol ratio and overall levels are where it is at, DHT does not tell you anything because seruk is just leakage from tissues and gives you no clue how high the dht in target tissue is, where it is used and produced. for example you can havd low dht and still experience baldness due to high dht on scalp, you can have low dht and still have a working dick due to high dht in the penis, this will not show in blood levels as 5AR expression is hoghly tissue specific

that is also why the standard "0.25mg lowers dht as much as 1mg" sentence is stupid. how do you know how kuch of a difference there really is on 5AR in tissues where it actually matters? after all nobody gets their spinal fluids examined or their penis tissue biopsied.there is a reason why 1mg is the standard dose for hairloss and 5mg is the standard dose for prostate. why? well it is not so that merck can sell more proscar, after all they could have sold 1 or 2.5mg for the same price
it is because these doses have had the strongrst effect locally and recued tissue dht more than a lower dose. so if 5mg can suppress more tissue dht than 1mg so far that it has a added therapeutic value it probably also gives less side effects

hair2stay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
testicle pain is in fact not a problem according to Drs i have talked to. it is also a very rare aide effect, much rarer than ED or loss of libido.

also once again, serum dht is a completely worthless metric to go by, go to any andrologist as a man with hypogonadism they will never grt blood drawn and looj at dht. for anytjing male sexuality, free T to free estradiol ratio and overall levels are where it is at, DHT does not tell you anything because seruk is just leakage from tissues and gives you no clue how high the dht in target tissue is, where it is used and produced. for example you can havd low dht and still experience baldness due to high dht on scalp, you can have low dht and still have a working dick due to high dht in the penis, this will not show in blood levels as 5AR expression is hoghly tissue specific

that is also why the standard "0.25mg lowers dht as much as 1mg" sentence is stupid. how do you know how kuch of a difference there really is on 5AR in tissues where it actually matters? after all nobody gets their spinal fluids examined or their penis tissue biopsied.there is a reason why 1mg is the standard dose for hairloss and 5mg is the standard dose for prostate. why? well it is not so that merck can sell more proscar, after all they could have sold 1 or 2.5mg for the same price
it is because these doses have had the strongrst effect locally and recued tissue dht more than a lower dose. so if 5mg can suppress more tissue dht than 1mg so far that it has a added therapeutic value it probably also gives less side effects
So by your logic then do you think 0.25mgs will give less sides than 1mg? Also do you think then localized DHT being the biggest draw means that maybe topical has some benefit?

I'm at 10 days on 0.25mgs of finasteride. I seemingly have zero sides at this point. everything works the same though I thing 3 months is the window in which I can still discover that finasteride is not an option..

Thank you! Have you gone forward with your topical experiment yet?

badnewsbearer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So by your logic then do you think 0.25mgs will give less sides than 1mg? Also do you think then localized DHT being the biggest draw means that maybe topical has some benefit?

I'm at 10 days on 0.25mgs of finasteride. I seemingly have zero sides at this point. everything works the same though I thing 3 months is the window in which I can still discover that finasteride is not an option..

Thank you! Have you gone forward with your topical experiment yet?

maybe but 0.25mg still is very potent. sadly i have had pretty aggressive sides on my last days of oral finasteride and since they have not faded a week after quitting i am not experimenting right now, i want to go back to normal(if thats even possible) before i use topical. i will definitely not try oral anymore especially at the dose i used(1.25mg)

hair2stay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
maybe but 0.25mg still is very potent. sadly i have had pretty aggressive sides on my last days of oral finasteride and since they have not faded a week after quitting i am not experimenting right now, i want to go back to normal(if thats even possible) before i use topical. i will definitely not try oral anymore especially at the dose i used(1.25mg)
How long were you on oral finasteride? Did the sides get worse and worse or the same but simply not tolerable........

what do you make of people who take finasteride for months or years and then swear they feel better after being off of it for a few days? sounds suspicious.... the fact that you still have sides is likely because of the build up in your system?

that's a pretty scary feeling to still have the sides after a week........i'm sorry

badnewsbearer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How long were you on oral finasteride? Did the sides get worse and worse or the same but simply not tolerable........

what do you make of people who take finasteride for months or years and then swear they feel better after being off of it for a few days? sounds suspicious.... the fact that you still have sides is likely because of the build up in your system?

that's a pretty scary feeling to still have the sides after a week........i'm sorry
not that scary, ive felt worse. feel like i am also prone to ED so sometimes gard to differentiate however this time it was not. i do not believe in tbe build up at all, half life of finasterise is very short at 6 hours so even if you take it 3 years after a few days nothing is left and then within 3-4 days dht should be back to normal so its not unnormal to feel better after a week

i think mine got worse the longer i powered throigh them. sides takibg longer to subside can have many causes i guess. my hormones were pretty garbage on finasteride tok i talked abou tthis a month ago already