Started dutasteride and losing hair where I did not have any problem

Skarsgard

Reaction score
Hello to everyone
I’ve been using finasteride for almost four years and three months ago I decided to start with dutasteride 3 days per week in order to try to stop losing hair in my temples. However, the result hasn’t been good and I have lose hair in the middle of the hairline, where I have always had good here. Also, sometimes I have a bit of itchiness in that area, something that never happened before. The temples are more or less receding in the same way as with finasteride. By the way, I continue using finasteride the days that I don’t take dutasteride. Thus, take 4 pills of finasteride and 3 of dutasteride per week. My purpose was to switch completely to dutasteride slowly. Now, I think I’m going to stop dutasteride and continue with finasteride every day. I’m posting some photos with the before and after, any advice will be welcome.

Before starting with dutasteride

C84AAA28-1CAE-4ECB-B973-CCF2F950E6A9.jpeg

After 3.5 months with dutasteride

6AE37D45-D57C-4476-92A1-4C2E22985758.jpeg

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
I mean, you're hair was clearly thinner in the middle part as well, now you're 3.5 months in (the shedding period) and plan to stop? Just ride it out and let it do it's thing.

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It looks better IMO. Top one looks wispy. More pics?

I see what you mean in the very center but I'd like to see more before and after pics. My guess is that you might be itchy and perhaps shedding in the temples because 1. it's only been 3 months, 2. dutasteride increases T a bit more and the hairline is extra sensitive to T.

My recommendation would be to stay the course and add RU or bi-estro to the hairline.

Skarsgard

Reaction score

I see what you mean in the very center but I'd like to see more before and after pics. My guess is that you might be itchy and perhaps shedding in the temples because 1. it's only been 3 months, 2. dutasteride increases T a bit more and the hairline is extra sensitive to T.

My recommendation would be to stay the course and add RU or bi-estro to the hairline.
So if it is the second case I will continue to lose hair en the hairline right? I also use minoxidil in the hairline. Here I have some more pics.

Before
E740F63B-04E7-4734-9550-0F0E30BD6334.jpeg
34E9069A-8C38-49A2-9E36-BAD4AAF85B39.jpeg

After

7C868FFD-166F-4946-97FB-528B07258A71.jpeg

1E4B1D0F-FC77-4DDC-ABAB-E09B52674B94.jpeg

Skarsgard

Reaction score
I mean, you're hair was clearly thinner in the middle part as well, now you're 3.5 months in (the shedding period) and plan to stop? Just ride it out and let it do it's thing.
Yes, maybe you are right and it’s only shedding but I’m afraid of that dutasteride is making me lose more hair that I will never recover. I think I will continue with dutasteride two more months and if I’m still losing hair I will just drop it.

VigantolX

My Regimen
Reaction score
Stick with dutasteride, I was on finasteride for years and it did very little to stop my hair loss. I slowly switched to dutasteride last year, for the first two weeks (if I remember correctly) I took both finasteride and dutasteride, then slowly tapered off finasteride. I am very happy with results from dutasteride, while I was taking finasteride my sink was full with hair every time I washed my hair, now I see maybe 2-3 hairs.

Wffd4182002

My Regimen
Reaction score

Bi-estro cream? every day-twice a day. And feminine side effects

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think you are making progress. Hair looks healthier. I'd stick with it for at least the better part of a year. How is your hairline looking underneath?

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Bi-estro cream? every day-twice a day. And feminine side effects
I even did it right after needling, and still no side effects. It's very low dose estradiol, and contains more estriol which is not very feminizing but still promotes hair growth and skin quality.

Skarsgard

Reaction score
I think you are making progress. Hair looks healthier. I'd stick with it for at least the better part of a year. How is your hairline looking underneath?
Why do you think I am making progress? I think that my hair looks the same but I have lost density in the middle part. I believe that my hairline underneath is receding as before, not much, but in the center I have less hair.

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why do you think I am making progress? I think that my hair looks the same but I have lost density in the middle part. I believe that my hairline underneath is receding as before, not much, but in the center I have less hair.
It does look pretty similar. The first photo is pretty low quality so it's hard to tell just how thick or thin the hairs are. But I see some really thick "baby hairs" growing strong on your hairline. The color, shine, and thickness all look good. Granted, sure, you could still be shedding quite a few weaker hairs right now as you're not even 4 months in, so just be patient and stay the course for at least a few months more.

Skarsgard

Reaction score
It does look pretty similar. The first photo is pretty low quality so it's hard to tell just how thick or thin the hairs are. But I see some really thick "baby hairs" growing strong on your hairline. The color, shine, and thickness all look good. Granted, sure, you could still be shedding quite a few weaker hairs right now as you're not even 4 months in, so just be patient and stay the course for at least a few months more.
It may seem in the photos that there are baby hairs growing but I don’t have any. I am seriously considering to definitely stop taking dutasteride since I am losing too much hair in the hairline and in the middle part just in a few weeks. The itchy also continues and, honestly, I don’t think I’m going to recover the hair I have lost. I can see more and more my scalp every day it passes.

zeldazoo22

My Regimen
Reaction score
Stick with dutasteride, I was on finasteride for years and it did very little to stop my hair loss. I slowly switched to dutasteride last year, for the first two weeks (if I remember correctly) I took both finasteride and dutasteride, then slowly tapered off finasteride. I am very happy with results from dutasteride, while I was taking finasteride my sink was full with hair every time I washed my hair, now I see maybe 2-3 hairs.
Any sides with dutasteride working? For the longest time On finasteride I’ve had an itchy scalp, and seb derm. I’m trying to see if dutasteride worsens this.

Tuta

My Regimen
Reaction score
It may seem in the photos that there are baby hairs growing but I don’t have any. I am seriously considering to definitely stop taking dutasteride since I am losing too much hair in the hairline and in the middle part just in a few weeks. The itchy also continues and, honestly, I don’t think I’m going to recover the hair I have lost. I can see more and more my scalp every day it passes.
I would stick it out for 6 months. Remember certain times of the year we shed hair seasonally. I know my hair usually looks sh*t about this time of the year as winter comes to a close and also when summer ends. I’m currently on 5 days finasteride 2 days dutasteride.

Ryanr01234

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on dutasteride for 4-5 months now, and am still aggressively shedding all over (rather than just the balding areas). I've only just started to see some baby hairs come through.

I was concerned that removing 100% of the DHT from the hair follicles that aren't sensitive to DHT (non-balding areas), will now just allow more room for testosterone to bind and possibly cause issues. But then again I've taken silly amounts of testosterone shots (quadrupling my test levels) in my past and didn't see hair loss in these areas, so the theory maybe falls short.

Im going to stay on it for at least a year, who knows.. maybe after a crazy shedding phase may come crazy growth haha. might be the best thing I ever did! Plus no point getting on something, knowing there is going to be shedding for a few months, just to come off it when that's exactly what you experience. Id keep going with it.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I mean OP's original and subsequent hairlines are really low. That's difficult to maintain under any circumstances. You might try massaging the forehead to loosen the skin in these areas as hair loss might be associated with a slight but general movement of the scalp backwards due to maturation of the male head.

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think your hair looks ok still. I’ve been on dutasteride for 6 years which I am about to make a thread about.. I did not maintain with it at the .5 dosage, nor when I upped to 2.5mg.. one thing to note, you hair may get slightly more oily on it making the strands appear thinner..

zeldazoo22

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah I think your hair looks ok still. I’ve been on dutasteride for 6 years which I am about to make a thread about.. I did not maintain with it at the .5 dosage, nor when I upped to 2.5mg.. one thing to note, you hair may get slightly more oily on it making the strands appear thinner..
Curious to hear what happened to your hair. Libido issues?

rapper dude

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would stick it out for 6 months. Remember certain times of the year we shed hair seasonally. I know my hair usually looks sh*t about this time of the year as winter comes to a close and also when summer ends. I’m currently on 5 days finasteride 2 days dutasteride.
Your using both