Started balding at 16, I’m 17 and fighting hair loss while it’s not that bad

thebaldingteen

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a larger presence on r/tressless but tbh theres a lot of idiots on there and the fear mongering on finasteride is pretty widespread. Anyways here’s my story, let me start off before the hair loss started. As a kid and in my early/ mid teenage years I always had super thick hair with a good hairline (maybe a lil on the high side, but still solid regardless), I was praised for having great hair and I swear in freshman year of HS it was literally why girls wanted to date me, like I had this big curly jewfro mess of hair that was awesome. I had it cut shorter and it still looked great and my hair stood up tall and thick, and throughout the year before I turned 16, I rocked multiple styles all of which looked pretty good. When I turned 16, my hair still looked great but that’s when it started and a few months after my birthday around the time quarantine started and shaving your head was a big trend, I followed the trend and shaved my head. I noticed my hairline looked a lil uneven but I just brushed it off as it always looking like it even though it totally didn’t, and I remember a couple months later getting a video call with my friends and the first thing they were talking about was how my hairline was uneven and they were laughing, again I still thought nothing of it, but then a month later a completely unrelated friend joked that it looked like my hairline was starting to recede. In around the beginning of summer around 6-7 months after I turned 16, I considered the fact that I might be losing hair, I was posting to r/bald and they were like “JUST SHAVE IT BRO” even though it really wasn’t that bad and I just cringed heavily at the thought of that. Then I was like “ohh it’s just telogen effluvium”, even though it was clearly receding in a pattern, but I’m definitely not the only one who did this sh*t at first too I’m sure many of us did that. Then I just kept flip flopping between whether I thought it was “male pattern baldness” or “telogen effluvium”, at this time I was very anxious and was also experimenting with psychedelic drugs and during these trips I would always be looking at my hairline and thinking about my balding and it would f*** me up and I would get super emotional, and I would cry about it constantly even when I wasn’t tripping. Then just like that online school for me started and thank corona for that sh*t, I could in no way go to school with my shitty hairline, I would be flamed by the other kids at my school because after all kids were always roasting hairlines at my school and I was simply terrified of looking like like a f*****g teacher because of my receding hairline and mature *** face. Anyways in September I posted a something to r/tressless about my balding and named something like “16 and balding, can’t start finasteride blahahahaha” and people gave a lot of good recommendations and I was asking my mom to take me to a dermatologist but according to her “You have a great head of hair, you aren’t balding so you don’t need to go”, the delusion in my family runs strong and the lies they spit feel like truth to them. In family my sister, my dad (Norwood 7 btw), and my mom all think I’m not balding, however I do have an ally in my family and that is my brother, he has always been straight up with me and I asked him what he thought and he said he noticed it too. I really knew I was balding now and was absolutely certain it was male pattern baldness, for a while I had been watching MPMD, and Kevin Mann about hair loss and knew my sh*t decently well thanks to them. So I started minoxidil in early December in hopes to combat this, then I thought about it for a little bit and came up with an idea on how to get finasteride, I confined in my brother and asked him to get me get a script since he was old enough to get one and he agreed, if I didn’t have my brother I don’t know what the f*** I would do tbh. I started it in early January and for the first week I had very mild sides that included lower EQ, lower libido, and watery c*m, however after the first week all of these sides went away and I was fine and have been ever since. I’m not concerned with how it might effect my development, you have to understand I started puberty very early (9) and have always been way ahead of my peers in terms of development and always looked a lot older, atm I am a 5’10 skinny *** 130lb boy, that is hairy as f***, with a modest 6 inch penis that is average girth, and even if I had no hair loss I would still look 24 because of my mature *** face and god tier jawline (thanks dad, but f*** you for the bald gene, still love you tho). I don’t care how it effects me because catching it early is the MOST important thing when it comes to hair loss prevention. It seems that I might be a hyper responder to minoxidil as I have seem crazy results in only 2 months and I’m curious to see how it will turn out in the future and I will be add microneedling to increase results. Theres a good chance that when I go back to school in about 8 months my hair might look good, and I’m pretty optimistic about all of this, That’s my story.

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, I started to loose ground on my whole top when I was 13/14, and as well started puberty pretty early.

When hair loss starts in teens, its pretty much the aggressive version of male pattern baldness. You just... can't combat it. I hope you're doing good now! Also, gotta love your brother, did the right thing, but maybe he should have been getting for you Dutasteride instead of Finasteride. A 16yo I know got really cool regrowth and thickening from dutas.

Just to give you a reminder, finasteride will slow the loss just down, and in our cases, to maaaybe a few years (2-5). I recommend you trying some AA, like RU or so topically! Keep us updated,

Em'!

thebaldingteen

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, I started to loose ground on my whole top when I was 13/14, and as well started puberty pretty early.

When hair loss starts in teens, its pretty much the aggressive version of male pattern baldness. You just... can't combat it. I hope you're doing good now! Also, gotta love your brother, did the right thing, but maybe he should have been getting for you Dutasteride instead of Finasteride. A 16yo I know got really cool regrowth and thickening from dutas.

Just to give you a reminder, finasteride will slow the loss just down, and in our cases, to maaaybe a few years (2-5). I recommend you trying some AA, like RU or so topically! Keep us updated,

Em'!
Right now, I’m not in the best finical situation as I’m paying for all treatment myself and don’t have a job, but this summer when I get a job I will likely add more things onto my stack.