started Avodart (after 8months proscar)

balding89

Established Member
Reaction score
Need some advice from avodart users:

today i took my first Avodart capsule. I plan on taking Avodart 2X a week.

The alternate days i will keep taking Proscar...

Is 2x a week enough in your opinion ?

(i will build up my regime and possibly quit proscar after a few months)

balding89

Established Member
Reaction score
That really isn't an answer to my post ...

fyi, I have a friend who works in a pharmacy :)

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't use Avodart, but the half-life is approximately 10 days, so you could probably even use it weekly and get more or less the same results. Every other day would be almost exactly the same as daily.

Why are you using it with finasteride? Avodart inhibits 5AR Type 1 and 2, and finasteride only inhibits type 2. Using both doesn't really add any additional benefits, and you might be opening yourself up to further risks.

balding89

Established Member
Reaction score
Wuffer said:
I don't use Avodart, but the half-life is approximately 10 days, so you could probably even use it weekly and get more or less the same results. Every other day would be almost exactly the same as daily.

Why are you using it with finasteride? Avodart inhibits 5AR Type 1 and 2, and finasteride only inhibits type 2. Using both doesn't really add any additional benefits, and you might be opening yourself up to further risks.

Thanks for your reply.
I'm still using finasteride because i want do be sure that duta has taken hold first..
And i don't want to use duta every day yet... I have read some posts of people who used duta 1 or 2x a week and finasteride the other days and had better results than on finasteride alone.

Kev123

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm finally gonna get on dutasteride late this year. I have planned it before, but backed off last minute. After 1 year and 6 months on finasteride, only maintaining, it's time to kick it up a notch. But by late this year I would have almost 2 years on it.

balding89

Established Member
Reaction score
JimmyNeutron said:
I'm finally gonna get on dutasteride late this year. I have planned it before, but backed off last minute. After 1 year and 6 months on finasteride, only maintaining, it's time to kick it up a notch. But by late this year I would have almost 2 years on it.

Hej JimmyNeutron,

I have been on finasteride for the past 8 months but am not noticing any regrowth. I guess i am maintaining, although my temples have receded a bit. (but i think that they are still recovering from the shed, which stopped at month 6)

So you have been on finasteride for 1yr and 6m ? And you have not seen any regrowth the whole time you've been on it ?

DTW

Reaction score
I've been using Avodart for over 8 months now after 11 months on finasteride, without seeing any significant change. It's been a rollercoaster ride though. Scary sheds and nasty side effects. Currently my hair looks amazing, but I would suggest using this drug with caution.

KO1

Established Member
Reaction score
Uh no, 2x a week will never give you the same results of every day. The half life of 10 days does not literally mean that 2x a week is the same as every day. Total misunderstanding of how this works. For full effect you need to take it every day.

balding89

Established Member
Reaction score
KO1 said:
Uh no, 2x a week will never give you the same results of every day. The half life of 10 days does not literally mean that 2x a week is the same as every day. Total misunderstanding of how this works. For full effect you need to take it every day.

Hey KO1,

What if I would take it let's say 3x a week (mon/wed/fri), would that be enough ?

I am still taking Proscar the of days.

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
balding89 said:
JimmyNeutron said:

Hej JimmyNeutron,

I have been on finasteride for the past 8 months but am not noticing any regrowth. I guess i am maintaining, although my temples have receded a bit. (but i think that they are still recovering from the shed, which stopped at month 6)

So you have been on finasteride for 1yr and 6m ? And you have not seen any regrowth the whole time you've been on it ?

I think you are not patient enough. You are not going to see the full effects after 8 months. I understand you but I think it is premature.

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
KO1 said:

Yes but people usually also don't take finasteride alongside dutasteride, right?

Also the question is, enough for what? You aren't seeing the peak of finasteride yet, so you will not know what will be effective. I understand what you do, and maybe I will do that too some day but I think you should give it more time for now.

Just my two cents.

balding89

Established Member
Reaction score
WillNotLetItHappen said:
KO1 said:

Yes but people usually also don't take finasteride alongside dutasteride, right?

Also the question is, enough for what? You aren't seeing the peak of finasteride yet, so you will not know what will be effective. I understand what you do, and maybe I will do that too some day but I think you should give it more time for now.

Just my two cents.

I know 8 months is not long enough to determin if finasteride wil work well for me or not. I still have a full head of hair, my temples are just receeding at a fast rate the past year, and I want to tackle it the best way (Duta).

Since a lot of men in my family got bald at 45 years of age, I know for a fact that I have an agressive form of male pattern baldness. That is why I am taking dutasteride aswell. I just don't think that finasteride wil be powerfull enough to stop the recession at the temple area :s...

I've also been using minoxidil on the temples for the past 8 months. At first I used it 1x daily, and at month 6 i started applying it 2x daily. (the only thing minoxidil did for me all this time, is make my temples worse!) this could be the so called 'dead shed' which minoxidil caused, and it should get better as I continue (so they say)... But after 8 months I should be seeing some positive signs right...? :-<

balding89

Established Member
Reaction score
Hej guys,

3 weeks on Avodart now. (2-3 capsules a week), still taking finasteride the other days.

I have noticed that my skin is more prone to acne ... :s and this isn't just since starting Avodart.
I have been noticing this a long time allready while I was taking finasteride. Now that I am taking Avodart asswell, I notice even more acne. (Even on my shoulders)
The skin around my eyes is dryer than normal, I even get kind of red soaring in that area. What the hell is happening ? :dunno:

Has anybody experienced this??? i'm really confused at the moment ...

brian liles

Reaction score
the increase in acne is probably due to the testosterone increase. Avodart raised testosterone by a long shot. since your on finasteride as as well, there is even a bigger increase.

Rawtashk

Reaction score
Have you tried taking a 1/4 dose of dutasteride? .125mg is as effective as 5mg of finasteride.

balding89

Established Member
Reaction score
brian liles said:
the increase in acne is probably due to the testosterone increase. Avodart raised testosterone by a long shot. since your on finasteride as as well, there is even a bigger increase.

Hej Brian liles,

i was also thinking it was due to the test increase... the strange thing is, that some people report a "better, clearer" skin while on dutasteride.
Isn't DHT more pronounced compared to testosterone when it comes to acne ?

thanks!

balding89

Established Member
Reaction score
Rawtashk said:
Have you tried taking a 1/4 dose of dutasteride? .125mg is as effective as 5mg of finasteride.

No, I have not :s

I only have 0.5mg capsules. I can't understand why the hell the skin under my eyes is flaking (red). i know for shure it is bc of finasteride/dutasteride!

i don't have any other sides at all, only acne and some red skin now and then...

I'm really hoping my hair gets better though... :jackit:

brian liles

Reaction score
acne wont get better on finasteride or dutasteride. I asked numerous dermatolgists about this issye, as I suffer with mild acne as well, and they said finasteride or dutasteride will not make it better. one of the doctors even said, if thats was the case, then the fda would of approved it for acne as well.

testosterone I think is the main hormone for acne. then again alot of doctors have told me acne is not hormonal. no one knows lol