Start To Finish 4326 Grafts From Dr. Demirsoy In Istanbul, Turkey

TG123

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello man,

First of all, thank you for documenting your progress.

Do you have zits in both the donor and recipient, or just one of those areas?

Actually, I too had a transplant with Dr Demirsoy the day after
yourself. I was there with my girlfriend :)

I too have gotten a few zits, very small ones, in both areas,
now 24 days after surgery...
Also, I have already shed most of the transplanted hairs.

Wish you happy growing!

Cheers
haha no way! Small world. So, regarding the zits, I've only had a few of them in the recipient area - right above my forehead. Maybe 6 total and they only lasted 24 hours or so. That said, it's pretty rare for me to get zits in the first place, so if you're getting more that might be why. My donor area just been super itchy! I find that using head and shoulders shampoo helps a lot.

Are you finding that some of the transplanted hairs are breaking off with little millimeter long hairs left? Most of my transplanted hairs are gone overall as well though. It's gonna be a rough few months lol.

Jnix

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can't wait to see results after some months...

Andrew11

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Introduction & Background:
The purpose of this thread is to document my experience with receiving 4326 grafts FUE from Dr. Demirsoy in in Istanbul, Turkey. I intend to provide as much realistic detail as possible in hopes that it will help inform others exploring the possibility of the procedure for themselves. This will include every dollar spent (and misspent), pro tips on travel and lodging, regrets, successes, the specific medications I was on, the specific hotel I was at, how I communicated with Dr. Demirsoy's office before, during, and after the procedure, etc. I will continue to update this thread through 15 months, which is the time that I was told I can expect to see full results.

About Me:
I am a 29 year old male with light brown/dark blond hair. I live in America. I have been struggling with hair loss for the better part of a decade. I used Rogaine and Propecia on and off for a few years without a ton of luck, but I wasn't good about being consistent with my usage. In the last 6 months I have been taking Propecia, Biotin, and pumpkin seed oil (pills) every day and using Rogaine almost every day (usually only 1x / day, but sometimes 2x /day). I work a ton, mostly from a computer this time of year. In the last 6 months I have been lifting weights every day and have gained 20 lbs of muscle. I am ultimately hoping to gain another 20 in my overall ambition to radically improve my appearance. I am 5'11. I weigh 185. See photos Below.

Why Turkey and Why Dr. Demirsoy:
For the details that lead me to choose Dr. Demirsoy's clinic and all of the background about me, please see my original forum post here: https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...orporate-or-turkey.119417/page-2#post-1768245

In a nutshell, I was debating between doing the procedure in America at either a big brand corporate clinic (Bosley), a private practice, or traveling to turkey having the procedure done there (here as I am currently typing this a few days after surgery from my hotel room in Atasehir). I was originally leaning towards Bosley because I trust big brands to have the best talent and technology available, but found so many negative reviews online about Bosley that I just couldn't shake it. It was also extremely expensive and the final results didn't seem concrete. I found it hard to navigate the private practices in America as well. There was large fluctuation in the pricing and many different opinions between doctors. It was hard to know what was objective science and what was marketing jargon.

I ultimately chose Dr. Demirsoy in Turkey because another forum member recommended him. Upon further investigation I found a user who documented his results from Dr. Demirsoy in great detail. He seemed to be happy with using Dr. Demirsoy, so I sent his office an email. It took a couple tries, but I got a response Dr. Demirsoy's assistant Muzaffer. Despite being in very different time zones, Muzaffer was a really excellent communicator. I sent him several questions about the procedure and probably crossed the line between curious potential client to neurotic and annoying patient a few times, but he always did a great job fielding my comments/questions/concerns.

It's very possible that I should have done more research. Identifying a good surgeon in another country blindly is hard to do. Ultimately the before and after photos on Dr. Demirsoy's website (which are remarkable), the positive reviews of Dr. Demirsoy in online forums, and the responsiveness of Dr. Demirsoy's assistant Muzaffer were enough for me to go ahead and submit the 500 euro deposit and schedule the surgery.

Setting up the Surgery and Travel:
I purchased the cheapest ticket I could find during a week that worked for me (February 10th -17th) and after a few emails back and forth w Muzaffer, had my surgery booked for Tuesday, February 12th. Apparently patients normally get the surgery and fly back home the next day, but tickets were between 30-40% cheaper if I stayed for a week, so that's what I bought. The clinic offers to book you a hotel, which includes free breakfast every morning, and transportation from the airport to the hotel and back, back and forth from the clinic, etc. Normally this is 200 Euro, but since I stayed for a whole week instead of 2 days, my cost was 380 euro. I foolishly made the mistake of booking an Air B & B to cover the anticipated gap between my original hotel stay and my flight home, which was basically non refundable.

The hotel itself is really nice. The breakfast is great. There are also other hair transplant patients lodging here, so despite feeling super self conscious about my appearance, the staff is very used to seeing surgical patients. It's located on the Asian side of Istanbul and is a little far from where all the touristy stuff in Istanbul is, but Uber is super easy to use here and you can get wherever you want to go very easily. Very few people in the hotel itself actually speak english, which made ordering things kind of complicated

I'm going to come back and edit/add to this post in a little but, but here's a photo of me on the day of procedure itself

View attachment 112769 View attachment 112770 View attachment 112771 View attachment 112772 View attachment 112773 View attachment 112774
View attachment 112977 View attachment 112978 View attachment 112979
Hey good luck im sure itll be a great result !! Did your surgeon mention how many grafts you have left and your hair characteristics??

RegenWaiting

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
haha no way! Small world. So, regarding the zits, I've only had a few of them in the recipient area - right above my forehead. Maybe 6 total and they only lasted 24 hours or so. That said, it's pretty rare for me to get zits in the first place, so if you're getting more that might be why. My donor area just been super itchy! I find that using head and shoulders shampoo helps a lot.

Are you finding that some of the transplanted hairs are breaking off with little millimeter long hairs left? Most of my transplanted hairs are gone overall as well though. It's gonna be a rough few months lol.
Sorry for the late reply...

Yup, I know... You can imagine my surprise when I saw your thread here :)

Got just a few zits also, mainly in the donor though, lasting no more than 2 days.

My donor area has been extremely itchy too, like, I'm waking up scratching my donor.
Thankfully it's just the donor, huh... Still avoid touching recipient, even after 26 days,
and slept on my back only with the neck pillow until 21st day. Today I used
the Head & Shoulders, so hope that helps me too with the itch.

About the small broken hairs, I've got them too. I believe it's completely normal.
Most of my transplanted hairs have also shed.

Do you apply minoxidil and take biotin?

Looking forward to May definitely :p

Cheers

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm on 93 days post surgery. About the zits.. I had a couple around week 3-4 that went away quite quickly.
However, just two days ago i noticed this swollen spot with a cystic acne-like lump!! Does any of yours look like this?
You're definitely right avoiding contact with scalp. As I reached 3 months, i became a little daring and started massaging the recipient area hoping to assist growth ,but instead got this :eek:. I'm eating extra healthy and stayed off alcohol all this time so I'm pretty sure it was caused by rubbing the scalp.
Good luck to you both and please keep us updated.

RegenWaiting

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm on 93 days post surgery. About the zits.. I had a couple around week 3-4 that went away quite quickly.
However, just two days ago i noticed this swollen spot with a cystic acne-like lump!! Does any of yours look like this?
You're definitely right avoiding contact with scalp. As I reached 3 months, i became a little daring and started massaging the recipient area hoping to assist growth ,but instead got this :eek:. I'm eating extra healthy and stayed off alcohol all this time so I'm pretty sure it was caused by rubbing the scalp.
Good luck to you both and please keep us updated.
Hello there,

Thank you.

No, the zits that I've got definitely don't look like the one you are describing.
From your description it sounds like you may have some ingrown hairs, or
Folliculitis (follicle infection)...but it may just be a bigger acne.
In any case you should contact your surgeon, and if it's one
that is too far away, then you should consult with a local physician.

About the recipient: I don't believe you did any harm by massaging
your scalp after 3 months. A study performed by William Rassmann
has shown that the new grafts in recipient have ''taken'' and are not
possible/very hard to harm already after 14 days in the vast majority
of patients. I'm still very careful in the shower and overall now 27 days
after the transplant, but that's just me being overly careful. Tbh, even
if I bumped my head now, the grafts wouldn't be hurt.

In any case, please consult with a qualified person if you feel that
the acne is out of the ordinary.

Good that you stay away from alcohol and eat healthy. It would count as
extra points if your diet was rich in protein and the vitB range which aids
hair growth. Also, a lot of fruit and veggies :) Workout helps too in order
to reduce stress and aid good sleep.

Good luck to you also!

Cheers

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello there,

Thank you.

No, the zits that I've got definitely don't look like the one you are describing.
From your description it sounds like you may have some ingrown hairs, or
Folliculitis (follicle infection)...but it may just be a bigger acne.
In any case you should contact your surgeon, and if it's one
that is too far away, then you should consult with a local physician.

About the recipient: I don't believe you did any harm by massaging
your scalp after 3 months. A study performed by William Rassmann
has shown that the new grafts in recipient have ''taken'' and are not
possible/very hard to harm already after 14 days in the vast majority
of patients. I'm still very careful in the shower and overall now 27 days
after the transplant, but that's just me being overly careful. Tbh, even
if I bumped my head now, the grafts wouldn't be hurt.

In any case, please consult with a qualified person if you feel that
the acne is out of the ordinary.

Good that you stay away from alcohol and eat healthy. It would count as
extra points if your diet was rich in protein and the vitB range which aids
hair growth. Also, a lot of fruit and veggies :) Workout helps too in order
to reduce stress and aid good sleep.

Good luck to you also!

Cheers

Thanks for the re-assurance. Yeah I thought as much...what I read so far also indicated grafts can't be lost after 10 days or so, but like you I was also over cautious and left the scalp completely alone for longer. My surgeon is Dr. B-sanga in Belgium and I'm based in UK; I did send an email with image so I'll see what the response it. I hope the infection won't harm the grafts around that spot!
I really don't know what caused my cystic acne-like lump, but my suspicion was more so that touching the scalp gave rise to infection, so I'm leaving it alone for now as well. I did ask if I could start micro-needling the recipient area, and he said yes....I would think this helps rather than hinders, but if I do that I'll be sure to avoid this infected spot.
My diet has seen an increase of omega 3 and protein since the transplant. I'm confused as to which vitamin does what nowadays lol, but I've been aiming for the known 'superfoods' high in anti-oxidants and low on high GI carbs.

TG123

My Regimen
Reaction score
D29 Top.jpg
D29 Front.jpg
D29 Right.jpg
D29 Back 2.jpg
D29 Left.jpg
29 Back 1.jpg
Day 29 (4 Weeks): Major shedding. Minor Itching & zits. Still using biotin, fish oil, and Finasteride daily. Rogaine 2x / day. Working out (intense cardio warm up and weight lifting) daily.

Head has definitely hit a new low. I knew to expect it, but mannnnn it's rough. Hopefully not much more will be falling out. Lighting plays a big role in how noticeable the donor area boundaries are and how red the skin in the recipient area is. Wearing a hat in public when I go to school, work, or the gym. 3 more months till new growth!

brill007

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did they use automatic or manual punch ?

Price is really cheap. I hope you get good results

I originally wanted a FUT, but now considering going FUE for that price if the results are good. as I don't' really want to have my head opened up.

TG123

My Regimen
Reaction score
Day 44 / 6 weeks
Definitely at the unfortunate looking stage in the process. Head still has some minor itchiness. Exercising 5-6x week. Debating getting a haircut because the original hair is growing in kind of funny from the shaved head look, but not sure I want to go in public yet since the red marks from the recipient site are still very visible. Looking forward to seeing some new growth in a couple months.

Trying to take accurate/least flattering as possible photos, but it's hard to figure it out w lighting. For the sake of consistency I've been using the same room with the same light settings across photos.

D44 Top1.jpg
View attachment 115874
D44 Front.jpg
D44 Left.jpg
D44 Right.jpg
D44 Back1.jpg
D44 Back 2.jpg

TG123

My Regimen
Reaction score
Day 52 / 7 weeks: First sign of new hairs growing

It's prolly not easy to see in any of these photos, but two days ago I noticed new hairs growing in for the first time. I was told this wouldn't happen until 4 months in, but I can count at least 100 small little hairs growing in within 1" of the hairline. At first I thought they were razor shavings from my bears that somehow got onto my scalp (like maybe from my pillow or something), but having looked closer they're definitely new hairs growing. It's strange, many of them have a dark brown thicker end to them, but they are blond throughout the shaft. I wish I could capture this in a photo, but it's hard to take alone. It sort of like like I have these floating pieces of 1mm long hairs, but if you look closer you can see there's a blond shaft holding it up. The brown doesn't fade to blond either. It's an abrupt change. Note: I got a haircut last week. They only cut the sides, not the top.
D52 Back.jpg
D52 Front.jpg
D52 Left.jpg
D52 Right.jpg
D52 Top.jpg

Last edited:

TG123

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did they use automatic or manual punch ?

Price is really cheap. I hope you get good results

I originally wanted a FUT, but now considering going FUE for that price if the results are good. as I don't' really want to have my head opened up.
I'm not sure to be honest. I'll ask.

TG123

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply...

Yup, I know... You can imagine my surprise when I saw your thread here :)

Got just a few zits also, mainly in the donor though, lasting no more than 2 days.

My donor area has been extremely itchy too, like, I'm waking up scratching my donor.
Thankfully it's just the donor, huh... Still avoid touching recipient, even after 26 days,
and slept on my back only with the neck pillow until 21st day. Today I used
the Head & Shoulders, so hope that helps me too with the itch.

About the small broken hairs, I've got them too. I believe it's completely normal.
Most of my transplanted hairs have also shed.

Do you apply minoxidil and take biotin?

Looking forward to May definitely :p

Cheers
Yes, I'm doing biotin 5,000 mg daily and rogaine at least once, but usually twice a day. How're your recovery going?

Parity07

My Regimen
Reaction score
Looking good mate. I too had crazy early growth and those little stubby hairs are indeed new babies on their way! I'm now 5 months in, have a stupidly dense head of hair beyond my wildest expectations (yay) and I see similarities with yours. Enjoy the ride!!

TG123

My Regimen
Reaction score
Looking good mate. I too had crazy early growth and those little stubby hairs are indeed new babies on their way! I'm now 5 months in, have a stupidly dense head of hair beyond my wildest expectations (yay) and I see similarities with yours. Enjoy the ride!!
Honestly that's exactly what I needed to hear right now Parity lol. Do you have any photos you could share?

TG123

My Regimen
Reaction score
Day 57 / 2 months (and one day)
old hair that's growing back is starting to look normal again (probably mostly due to the haircut last week). There are moments where I catch myself in the mirror and think "oh, that's not so bad", but it's more of an angle/lighting thing than anything else. As you can see, in unflattering lighting/angles the situation is still unfortunate. More of those tiny new hairs are appearing. Looking forward to seeing them grow. Still working out nearly every day, taking Rogaine, Propecia, Biotin, and fish oil daily, and using Selsun Blue medicated shampoo when I wash my hair a couple times a week. Still experiencing some minor itching. I also went tanning a couple days ago (too little sunlight this time of year and was feeling the blues), but made sure to cover every inch of my head with 3 layers of cloth. Technically the instructions I got from the Dr. said tanning was kosher at 2 months, but I didn't want to take the chance at damaging anything. If you look closely you can see the tan line a solid inch down from the recipient line.

D57 Front.jpg
D57 Top 1.jpg
D57 Top 2.jpg
D57 Left.jpg
D57 Right.jpg
D57 Back 1.jpg
D57 Back 2.jpg

Parity07

My Regimen
Reaction score
My story is in my bio mate. But here's the difference I've encountered, just took these photos at 5 1/2 months.

Attachments

• 20181221_094637.jpg
    20181221_094637.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 650
  • 20190409_180516.jpg
    20190409_180516.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 664
  • 20190409_192659.jpg
    20190409_192659.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 663
Last edited:

Toms

Established Member
Reaction score
It took a couple tries, but I got a response Dr. Demirsoy's assistant Muzaffer.

Did it take multiple tries to get the response? If so - how long did you have to wait for the next available surgery appointment?

I wrote them an email yesterday, haven't gotten a response yet.

TG123

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did it take multiple tries to get the response? If so - how long did you have to wait for the next available surgery appointment?

I wrote them an email yesterday, haven't gotten a response yet.

I think I only had to email them twice? Give it a couple days and try again is my suggestion. I think there was about a 1-2 month waitlist for appointments? I scheduled mine around cheap plane tickets and my work schedule though, so I'm not sure if how hard it would be to book sooner.