SSRI's and hair loss

Robuk

Reaction score
Hi all
Just wondering whether any of you have any experience of losing hair while taking these meds i.e Prozac,Ciprimil , Zoloft etc.The meds actually state in some cases they can cause hair loss but it's rare.Also i can't find any info anywhere as to why they may cause hair loss.The same is true with aspirin and NSAIDS which parodoxically are anti inflammatories and hence seemingly beneficial but in reality cause hair loss but again i can't find the mechanism by which it happens
Cheers
Rob

maddoc23

Established Member
Reaction score
The mechanism has to do with prostaglandins. Aspirin inhibits prostaglandin production as do other NSAIDS. However, conflicting studies exists indicating prostaglandins increase hair growth, but so do aspirin.

D

Anita

Reaction score
Hey Robuk-

I was on Zoloft for a year and experienced zero hair loss for the first 9 months. In fact, when I started going off it was when it started (which may be due to stress, I still have no idea). So I personally did not experience this side effect...

bombscience

Reaction score
Paxil CR 2 years. Hairloss started about 1.5 years in. I'm off it now, hairloss continues. It's male pattern baldness.

Robuk

Reaction score
Cheers

Ta for the replies guys.I was on ciprimil/citalopram for 6-12 months and it was only after coming off it that i noticed hairloss.Wondering if it triggered male pattern baldness,or perhaps accelerated it as i may need to go back on it due to anxiety
Cheers
Rob