Spironolactone

Crowningglory

Reaction score
Is it true that you have to be off spironolactone for 9 months before trying to get pregnant? My derm told me to stop taking it one month before trying assuming I guess that it might take a few months. I haven't started yet but am worried now that I need to be off it a lot longer than I thought. I am on 200mg a day at the moment, 100mg for 9 months, 200mg for the last 3 months. Still no results.

teyjay

Reaction score
Got a minute to post back?

Hello,

I am a newby to the site so I may ask questions that have already been answered, for that I apolgize. I have not had a chance to read everything on this site. For that matter I don't think there would be anyone that has read everything on this site.

But, to the point, I have been on Aldactone for 5 years now. I was taken off for 2 months to see if anything would change. It did, although I am still experiencing hair loss, when I was one the Aldactone I felt there was less hair falling out and less hair in the drain. Then when they took me off it seemed that it fell out very quickly and when they put me back on I never regained the hair back but, again notice less hair loss. I do not want to give up the Aldactone, but I need more help.

I started losing my hair at 18 I am now 29. I have tried many things just like most of you on this site. I have seen many different Dermatologists and still do not have a diagnosis. I have heard everything from stress, bugs in my scalp, lack of vitamins, to male pattern baldness. I really do not know where to go from here.

I work in the type of enviroment where apperance is a reflection of your work so If I can not get some help soon it's either look for a job with a cubicle or find a wig. So what I need to know is: Has anyone heard of SCALPMEDS and have they or do they know anyone that has tried this? Is it just another name for rogaine? Any advice will help.
Thanks

gina

Reaction score
spironolactone

8) I 37 and been on spironolactone 100 2X a day for about a month. Is seems my hair is a little worse right now. Is this what happens at first or does it take a while to stabilize. I am going to stick with it but just want some feedback on success or lack of success on this drug.

IBM

Reaction score
Hi. I started oral spironolactone mid-April of this year. I decided to take on my own instead of having approval of a doctor. I'm taking 50mg/day. It seems that my current hair thickened a lot and the hair growth rate increased (when i was teen each of my hair thread was very thick and grew very fast).

I'm not taking higher doses because of money and its hard to buy on pharmacy without prescription.

seasaw

Reaction score
Hi. I am 36. I have Ludwig Type II thinning - has occurred over the past 3 years. Have been trying all kinds of things for past 3 years. been on Aldactone / Psironolactone 25mg x 3 times a day for past 6 months. Shedding has reduced. Still shed 10 odd hiars every time i brush. Cannot see any peach fuzz. Also on Diane with 7 dyas gap inbetween course. Will this regimen help in hair growth - how long does it take? please help.

teyjay

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I just wanted to take a minute to update on how things are going since I wrote three years ago. I am still taking spironolactone 200mg a day. I decided to see a new dermatologist because the last one I went to seemed if as if I were wasting her time.

Anyway, about 6 months ago the new Derm encouraged me to try rogaine again. This time using 5%. I was skeptical but figured what else can I loose (except my hair) which I was doing already. So I started it.

Now 6 months later I am very happy to say with the daily regimens I use I have seen a great improvement. I do not have all my hair back, But what is there has become fuller and I have seen more regrowth. I'm sure this isn't going to work for everyone but, doesn't hurt to try. It is not a cheap resolution but here's my secret. I buy the rogaine at CVS. Between catching it on sale and the coupon you get with the bottle and the instore coupons I pay no more than $10 a bottle. I save even less when I catch the 3 month supply on sale.

This is my daily regimen

Spironolactone tabs 100mg- twice a day
Rogaine 5%- twice a day
Biotin 1000mcg vitamin supplement- twice a day
Pantene full & thick -shampoo & conditioner

I know what everyone on here is going through and we all wish there was this miracle out there that could fix our hairloss problem, but in the meantime I only hope that sharing my results helps others wake up to face the world with a more positive attitude.

Try it and please let everyone know how it is working for you. Keep a positive attitude, this isn't a quick fix. It will take some time, it's only been 6 months for me and I look forward to how much growth I will have in a year.

Good Luck and Best Wishes

misstoffee

Reaction score
Hi .. First of all I'm new here, and just wanted to thank everyone for sharing. My hair has been falling out since I was 14 - I'm now 29, but it really helps to know that there are other people out there who are going thru the same thing!

My hair loss is due to male pattern baldness, and I've been on 5% rogain for years.
However, I started spironolactone (2 x 25mg per day) in September, and seem to have a lot of hairs which look to be broken ( and falling out) ... and only a few growing!!!!!

Did anyone else notice that they shed more when starting off on spironolactone? I'm wondering if its like the Rogain - where you shed before the new growth kicks in?

Thanks!!!!

IBM

Reaction score
A women can take higher doses of Spironolactone. The usual is 200 mg/day which is the maximum for a men.

teyjay

Reaction score
Hello Misstoffe,
Unfortunalty four months isn't enough time to see much results in hair growth. Also I noticed you said (2x25mg) a day? I have been prescribed (2x100mg) a day. Is there a reason why your doctor put you on such a low dose? I believe I was given the maximum dose that is allowed. I am not a doctor but I think that 50mg a day seems to be a very low dose. What stage of hair loss are you seeing. When I first started spironolactone I was almost completely thinned out in the front (scalp showing, very hard to cover) I have been on spironolactone for many years and although I do not have a thick head of hair, the front of of scalp is fuller and I am continuesly seeing new hair growth with the help of the rogaine. Maybe talk with your doctor and ask him/her to up the dosage of your prescription. If there isn't a medical reason as to why you were given such a low dose.

Good Luck

(I am not a doctor, information given from my own experience. Please consult with your doctor first before trying any regimens I have posted.)

misstoffee

Reaction score
Thanks for your input.

My thinning has got worse since i came off Diane 35, hence trying spironolactone.
I went to 2 different derms who wouldn't prescribe because it is not recognised by the FDA for Hairloss! .. So when the 3rd said yes I was pretty relieved!

I guess they just wanted to start me off low and see what happens .. but its really getting to me right now, as the loss is right at the front of my head, whilst I don't have to use toppikk everyday I feel i'm getting close to that point!

may be I will email the Derm and see what she thinks ... I sure wish there was a Dr here in FL who knew what they were doing!!!

Thanks again ladies! :)

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I tried spironolactone @ 100 mg and it took 2 mos to slow down the shedding. When it did it also started filling in my temples which had thinned terribly.

But I do have fibroids and spironolactone caused them to hurt. Badly. And my breasts to hurt. In different areas. Thats when I found out it increases breast and uterine cervical cancer. And fibroids are fed by estrogen. So I stopped taking the spironolactone.

My hair began to shed terribly again. 200 hairs a day. Nothing else worked so I've gone back to spironolactone BUT only 25mg and ONLY until I find something else that works.

I'm working on other things such as Saw Palmetto (but just read in another forum where after blood tests liver damage occured with several members), Nizoral 2% (I've been using this nothing new) and msm.

MSM has reduced my shedding in half.

Migel

Reaction score
Spironolactone is an aldosterone antagonist. It also acts as an antiandrogen by blocking androgen receptors and by inhibiting ovarian androgen production. It slows hair loss in women, but it does not stimulate hair regrowth.

However, everyone is different. There are cases when this drug helped to regrow hair:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17222303