spironolactone & Reviogen Vs dutasteride

KEVING

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok i have been investigating changing my finasteride dose to something else. I have decided to do this as i think the finasteride is giving me side affects of acne which is very troublesome.
I have been using finasteride for about 10 months and was taken 1mg a day, i then reduced this too 0.6mg but still the spots

People have suggested dutasteride, but this may have the same if not worse effect that finasteride did to me!!!

My only other option that is proven is spironolactone and reviogen. Could users of this please give me there opinion!!??

Will it work as good as finasteride, will it just pick up where finasteride stops or will i have to start from scratch again??

Please help HairLossTalk.com. Need experienced help here.

KEVING

Established Member
Reaction score
I should probably say im losing my hair on my crown. My temples are losing it but only gradually.

Just need some answers, experienced posters please help

Thanks

Dinzy

Established Member
Reaction score
I was not aware that finasteride could cause acne. Are you sure it is the finasteride and not something else? Have you tried treating the acne?

I look at dutasteride as a super finasteride since it has the same effect on DHT as finasteride does plus it blocks the other enzyme that facilitates T -> DHT. If it is the hormonal change that is causing this acne then dutasteride would most likely still have that effect.

As far as revivogen and spironolactone go they are not proven as you claim hence they are not part of the big 3. So no they won't work as well as finasteride and you would probably get more out of minoxidil than those two.

How bad is the acne? Did you have bad acne when you were younger?

KEVING

Established Member
Reaction score
Its improved since lowering to 0.6mg but i think it generally makes my skin blotchy etc.

I never had acne when i was younger just started in the last few years. Think finasteride made it worse

I really feel im at a loose end, cant see any options. My hairs long so trying to get reviogen and spironolactone to absorb every night will be a nightmare

KEVING

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there any other internal options that wouldnt have the side affect of acne??

Britannia

Reaction score
KEVING said:
Is there any other internal options that wouldnt have the side affect of acne??

No. Dutasteride would not help reduce the acne as it simply lowers DHT more than Finasteride.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Dutasteride blocks Type 1 5AR, which is found throughout the body, especially in the skin and the brain. Type in Dutasteride and acne into google, and you will see that Dutasteride is used by some health physicians to treat acne. I feel that it's helping me.

Britannia

Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
Dutasteride blocks Type 1 5AR, which is found throughout the body, especially in the skin and the brain. Type in Dutasteride and acne into google, and you will see that Dutasteride is used by some health physicians to treat acne. I feel that it's helping me.

Dutasteride acutally blocks Type I 5AR and Type II 5AR. Finasteride only blocks Type II 5AR.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
I meant to say that it blocks Type I 5AR, too. Sorry about that.

DHT causes some acne, so wouldn't it be reasonable that Type I 5AR enzyme is related to skin acne?[/b]

Britannia

Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
I meant to say that it blocks Type I 5AR, too. Sorry about that.

DHT causes some acne, so wouldn't it be reasonable that Type I 5AR enzyme is related to skin acne?[/b]

DHT does not cause acne. Regular testosterone does. So no I dont believe type I 5AR enzyme is related to skin acne at all.

KEVING

Established Member
Reaction score
Im a bit lost sorry. Are you saying that my acne definitely isnt caused by finasteride. Or are you saying it might, and dutasteride would get rid of it!? If you are saying this does dutasteride not just block the other type of dht so why would it stop acne.

Sorry bit confused, please help

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Side effects of finasteride include increased acne...

Finasteride only blocks Type II 5AR, whereas Dutasteride blocks both Type I and Type II 5AR.

The difference is this: Type II 5AR exists in the liver and has the primary function on the prostate. In contrast, Type I 5AR exists throughout the body, mostly in the skin and the brain.

Because DHT is partly responsible for acne, taking Dutasteride has the hormonal effect of clearing up some acne on the DHT-prone skin.

However, there may be unknown psychological implications associated with dutasteride use, as DHT is also present in brain tissue. For me, I've had some weird dreams from using Dutasteride, but that might be iirrelevant. I don't know. But anyway, I hope this helps.

KEVING

Established Member
Reaction score
So why does blocking also type 1 have the opposite effect to skin when blocking type 1 and 2.

Should i consult my physcian before going on dutasteride?

Aplunk1

Reaction score
You know what, I'm not sure about why using Finasteride would have increased acne. I don't know the exact causes. What I do know from experience, and from a little research, is that Dutasteride, which blocks both types, does have the effect of clearing up acne and oiliness in the skin.

Should you consult a GP or dermatologist before going on Dutasteride? Definitely.

jeffsss

Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
You know what, I'm not sure about why using Finasteride would have increased acne. I don't know the exact causes. What I do know from experience, and from a little research, is that Dutasteride, which blocks both types, does have the effect of clearing up acne and oiliness in the skin.

Should you consult a GP or dermatologist before going on Dutasteride? Definitely.

what GP or derm is going to perscribe or advise anyone to use Dutaseride for hair loss or acne?!!!!?!?

KEVING

Established Member
Reaction score
Could you not just tell him your going to use it and if it will do any damage?

Britannia

Reaction score
Finasteride = Possible Acne
Dutasteride = Possible Acne, NOT treatment for acne!

Aplunk1

Reaction score
I'm not suggesting that Dutasteride SHOULD be prescribed for hairloss or for ACNE, for that matter. I doubt that many practictioners would prescribe such a strong medication for any of the aforementioned conditions. However, in my own research, and to my own understanding, Dutasteride has the effect of helping these two conditions. Period.

I am only contending that Dutasteride can help these conditions, but I am not suggesting that they should be used unless under the close supervision of a doctor.