spironolactone or finasteride?

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Im going to start attackin my hairloss problem but dont know what to get.im 19 years old and i cought my hairloss early so im just lookin into the nizoral and finasteride or spironolactone combo right now.Im going to leave the minoxidil for later if needed.Now my question is i dont want the finasteride side effects mostly the sexual ones(you know how the girlfriends are) so im lookin into spironolactone but the guys on this site seem to prefer finasteride over spironolactone.Is spironolactone a worse product or does it work just as good but isnt as prefered as finasteride due to it being topical and finasteride being in a pill form?

shineydome

Established Member
Reaction score
I used "spironolactone" a couple year ago. Bought the pills, (followed some directions I got at some hairloss website) crushed them up and mixed them in with the 5% minoxidil I was using. They did say it would smell, but boy, does it ever. I applied it, and asked my wife how bad it was. She smelled my head and almost barfed on it. How's that for an improvement? "More hair but don't get near me cuz I smell like hell." I know that a few guys use it but are probably using commercially available mixtures that don't smell so bad. I think if you don't mix with minoxidil it doesn't smell *as* bad. I think HairLossTalk.com uses it cuz he can't use finasteride. For me, it's just not as convenient to get as topical minoxidil and not as easy to use as just popping a pill. Can't really attest to effectiveness as I only used it once. The look on my wife's face was the end of that.. didn't want to sleep on the couch for the rest of my life. Shiney

The Gardener

Reaction score
If you aren't using minoxidil then I would believe that spironolactone might be a good alternative for you. spironolactone only usually creates a smell problem when mixed with the minoxidil, and when heat is involved... i.e., if you put it on, then put on minoxidil, then go outside on a warm day. There is something about the mixing of it with the minoxidil that makes it unstable.

I use spironolactone, but then again I use a professionally mixed liquid that has been formulated by a hairloss Doctor to minimize the odor. I only use it at night (when it is cool), and a very minimal amount on the temples/hairline area on mornings when I am only going to work and sitting in my office. No smell problems at all.