spironolactone cream users: How often do you apply it?

skallagrimur

Established Member
Reaction score
For those spironolactone cream user out there... how often do you apply it each day and when? Do you use it with Minoxidil? If so, how long apart to you apply them?

Ranma

Reaction score
I would love to know other people's opinions on this. I currently do only one application at night and so much of it gets matted in my hair no matter how I part it that I cannot imagine using it 2 times a day.

MrBastard

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I am using a very small ammount of spironolactone along with 0.7ml'ish minoxidil in morning and 1.3 - 1.5 ml minoxidil with more spironolactone at night. First minoxidil then spironolactone 15 - 20 min after.

I go to work 30 - 40 min after the spironolactone applying in the morning and i have not noticed people staring at my hair or asking "do you smell that" or any other varities. I feel that it look a bit greasy/"glowing" in sunshine tho. Got brown hair who have turned more dark after starting my regime.

Have not used it long enough to tell if it is working good...

flamingpie

Established Member
Reaction score
i apply it once a day at night before sleep.
It makes my hair so greasy after applying i dont know how people pull it off twice a day.

MrBastard

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The key for morning applying is to use a VERY small amount. I dont do it on the whole head morning, only on my thinning places like the front.

Also doing a personal test with applying it on the "frontal side". The part a little higer up between the eye and ear to see it i get some hairs back there. Not much lost on that part, but im only using spironolactone to test there.

Hairforever

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm applying it twice a day while I'm on holiday - if I get up early enough for their to be a decent time interval between applications! Will apply it once a day when back to work (in the evening for the reasons stated by others on this thread). Using a topical makes me feel my bald patch on the crown (depressing stuff). I normally live in daily denial until the barber shows me the back of my head in the mirror - God I hate that moment!

Is the 'burning' sensation when applying spironolactone due to the mentol? What purpose does the menthol serve? Does it encourage growth or is it a solvent vehicle for the spironolactone to be absorbed by the scalp?

I wish there were some conclusive research results that prove this stuff actually works!

skallagrimur

Established Member
Reaction score
I haven't come across many guys here that have been using spironolactone for more then a year..

rcom440

Reaction score
skallagrimur said:
I haven't come across many guys here that have been using spironolactone for more then a year..

I've been using spironolactone for more than a year.

Hairforever

Established Member
Reaction score
How's it going on the spironolactone rcom? Is it actually working? (Maintenance?Growth?).

I see that you use quite a few topicals (no finasteride) so is it difficult to isolate the effectiveness of spironolactone amongst the rest of them?

I'm 3 weeks into spironolactone (once a day) and intend to give it a lengthy go (barring any side effects which is why I dropped finasteride - for a second time).