SpicyLuv67's Story - (Unusual Hair Loss Problems)

SpicyLuv67

Reaction score
Hi all, Im new and found this board. I have very unusual hair loss problems....and Im not sure if ANY one of you had the same problem like me. I have natural curly hair and it all started back in March. One morning I woke up with a wet pillow. I knew it cant be sweat cause it was still winter in March and it has some odor to it. When I run my fingers thru my hair, my scalp was wet. So I took a tissue and patted it and saw it was yellow....signs of infection. Then I noticed my neck felt sore and I found 5 swollen lymph nodes including by the shoulder. The next day it had gotten worse, more wet pillow but this time I had a pink eye, bad headache and then what's scarier was, my scalp felt like it was on fire....there was a burning sensations all over plus it was draining as well, I literally had to keep tissues on hand to wipe my forehead like I was sweating....(by the way I didnt change any hair products, used to same one and havent dyed my hair for a year).

That scared me so bad and since it was a Sat....I couldnt call my DR so I went to Urgent Care Center....DR looked at my head & scalp and was very puzzled, said, "Ive never seen anything like this before" He went out of the room to talk with another DR....he came back in and said we're sending you to the ER. I have to say I was scared not knowing whats going on with the painful scalp. So I went....what shocked me that the ER Dr didnt even order bloodwork....she just said I have Celluitis and then have me take antibiotic. The drainage stopped but, one morning, my hair was "caked in" from the drainage that stopped. So it took me 1/2 hour to wash my hair and comb it out....thats when my hair started to fall out. When I was combing it, it was like I was shedding hair, but lots of it! My scalp itches like crazy and the scalp was extremely dry. When my hair fell out, it was attatched to the dried piece which looks like dandruff. Fast forward to now, I am 3/4 bald on the top....like if Im wearing "skin" jewish cap. The top sides on front are gone and I barely have any bangs...I would say by end of this month or sooner, that would be gone and Ill have to start wearing ball cap..... I pull my hair from sides and clip it to cover the baldness on top or have my hair piled up with a clip as well...

My family physican wants me to see the dermatologist and there's one in same office but he's booked til AUG!!!! Just few days ago, my parents suggested for me to find another one in network even if I have to drive 2 hrs away that have earlier appt.... luckily I found one... May 30th 1/2 hr away.....I have blood work appt on the 16th. My Dr does not know why my hair is falling out...hopefully Ill find out the answer at the end of this month.

By the way, I have hypothyroid, not taking med consistantly but tests shows its fine....I have very low iron, am taking multi vitamins & iron (due to gastric bypass 5 yrs ago).....

So has anyone ever have drainage from the scalp? This is the third time it happens now.