Sperm counts

Pondle

Reaction score
I've been considering a switch from finasteride to dutasteride, but this is something of a concern to me. Any reactions?

Effects on male fertility

The effects of dutasteride 0.5mg/day on semen characteristics were evaluated in healthy volunteers aged 18 to 52 (n=27 dutasteride, n=23 placebo) throughout 52 weeks of treatment and 24 weeks of post-treatment follow-up.

At 52 weeks, the mean percent reduction from baseline in total sperm count, semen volume and sperm motility were 23%, 26% and 18%, respectively, in the dutasteride group when adjusted for changes from baseline in the placebo group. Sperm concentration and sperm morphology were unaffected.

After 24 weeks of follow-up, the mean percent change in total sperm count in the dutasteride group remained 23% lower than baseline. While mean values for all parameters at all time points remained within the normal ranges and did not meet the predefined criteria for a clinically significant change (30%), two subjects in the dutasteride group had decreases in sperm count of greater than 90% from baseline at 52 weeks, with partial recovery at the 24 week follow-up.

The possibility of reduced male fertility cannot be excluded.

plusryan

Established Member
Reaction score
Just like what you said in my thread, believe the science or kill yourself. haha. But seriously I believe you can regain all lost sperm (or most) if you were to discontinue the drug.

Pondle

Reaction score
plusryan said:
Just like what you said in my thread, believe the science or kill yourself. haha. But seriously I believe you can regain all lost sperm (or most) if you were to discontinue the drug.

Well I'm concerned about results which have been reported in the clinical literature, which is a little different to unsubstantiated internet scare stories about shampoo. :roll: And no, I never said you should kill yourself.

plusryan

Established Member
Reaction score
I was exaggerating your comment. :p

Personally, Being on the big3, and being or were a norwood 2.25 after months being on dutasteride my entire hairline is regrowing. I haven't cut my hair in like a year, and it's actually quite nice because you can clearly see the difference in the length of hair. All across my window peak is a line of new hair, dense regular hairs. it's like I shaved my windows peak when I lift the hair up it's quite odd actually.