Son Losing Hair Since 13...now 16. Dr Says It's Male Pattern Baldness!

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
What do you mean by costing his manhood IMS? If you mean sterility then that's a no no for sure.
He's actually said he will shave it all off. He's happy as he has a huge beard so he says he'd look like a Viking ;) but I know he was shocked by the photo. I'm just telling him the products are moisturizing for his hair at the moment.
From the age of 5 he was prescribed melatonin as he would not sleep. I wondered a few years ago if that had an affect on his hair growth as he had a full beard, hairy chest etc very young. The past 2 years he slowed down the usage and has taken none for a couple of months now. Does long term melatonin use affect hormones/hair growth as I know it's produced by pineal gland?
I suggests you to wait for some time for better treatment . if he had not heart problems I would suggest you minoxidil . don't try finasteride at this young age ,he is still growing as a man and finasteride would do something unwanted (like feminising etc). Always take a professional advice before using any potent drug. At the end I should say hair transplant is always an option if you afford it.best luck to the young man.

Tinks69

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would rather him steer clear of any heavy side affect drugs right now due to his age.
I'm thinking of getting him back to the Dr to check his testosterone or at least try for a derm appointment....in the very limited hope of a chance this is something else.

He had beautiful hair and it's so sad to see him lose it like this. I think it really bothers him but puts on a brave face...but he's a good looking boy so he could get away with a shaved head if it came to it. Other kids at school can be cruel though.

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
He is too young to take finasteride or dutasteride. I'm not a doctor but I don't see why topical minoxidil should be off limits for him. What are his heart problems if you don't mind me asking? Oral minoxidil, meanwhile, is dangerous stuff that he should definitely steer clear of.
Considering that he has such aggressive male pattern baldness at such a young age, realistically his chances of regaining and/or maintaining anything close to a full head of hair with currently available treatments are slim. Maybe you could look into getting him a hair system. That may be the best option in his case.

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would rather him steer clear of any heavy side affect drugs right now due to his age.
I'm thinking of getting him back to the Dr to check his testosterone or at least try for a derm appointment....in the very limited hope of a chance this is something else.

He had beautiful hair and it's so sad to see him lose it like this. I think it really bothers him but puts on a brave face...but he's a good looking boy so he could get away with a shaved head if it came to it. Other kids at school can be cruel though.
Don't think too much it makes paranoid you. As I said assure him that cure could be at corner and instead thinking about it he should accept it for now.

Tinks69

My Regimen
Reaction score
He is too young to take finasteride or dutasteride. I'm not a doctor but I don't see why topical minoxidil should be off limits for him. What are his heart problems if you don't mind me asking? Oral minoxidil, meanwhile, is dangerous stuff that he should definitely steer clear of.
Considering that he has such aggressive male pattern baldness at such a young age, realistically his chances of regaining and/or maintaining anything close to a full head of hair with currently available treatments are slim. Maybe you could look into getting him a hair system. That may be the best option in his case.
He has mitral valve prolapse with regurgitation and autonomic dysfunction which causes tachycardia on standing.
What is a hair system Michael?

Tinks69

My Regimen
Reaction score
Don't think too much it makes paranoid you. As I said assure him that cure could be at corner and instead thinking about it he should accept it for now.
I feel if I tell him there's a cure for losing his hair then that might make him think it's a bigger issue...I'm telling him I think he has a scalp condition to try minimise the impact at the moment. He doesn't even know I'm on this forum.

Tinks69

My Regimen
Reaction score
Would Male pattern baldness cause scalp redness just on the area where his hair is thinning? There's normal colour at the back and sides.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is there a specific type to use ie. Organic/cold pressed etc and does this help with hair growth or nourish scalp etc? Would it be the sebum causing the smell...its a very strange smell! Thanks

pure 100%, with a deep yellow color, normally are all organics

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I feel if I tell him there's a cure for losing his hair then that might make him think it's a bigger issue...I'm telling him I think he has a scalp condition to try minimise the impact at the moment. He doesn't even know I'm on this forum.
Its better not to get his hopes up in any case. Currently there is no cure coming just around the corner. A cure could be decades away.

Tinks69

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you do plan on him using topical minoxidil, in view of the heart problems that he has it is probably best to check beforehand with a doctor that its okay for him to use topical minoxidil.
This page gives some information on what a hair system is: http://www.hairhub.com/blog/what-is-a-hair-replacement-system/. It should not be confused with a wig.
I think with that type of topical, it's best to leave it until he is older and he can choose. Thanks for the link...I will take a look!

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Tinks69

My Regimen
Reaction score
You're welcome :). There's also the sub-forum on this site that is dedicated to discussions about hair replacement systems and hair pieces: https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/forums/hair-replacement-systems-and-hair-pieces-for-men.13/
Thanks Michael. I've just read a few of the posts. Looks really good but think he wouldn't use one at the moment. One of the guys mentioned hair fibres so I'm going to search the forums for this :) I'm still 'hoping' that I can find a natural alternative for him...even something that may thicken what he's got.

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Seriously? That makes me feel real sad. I was hoping it was some thing else that products could improve. I'm with him all the way Mandar.
We put emu oil with rosemary and the condition of the front has improved...its more soft and relaxed which is better to style. I've also ordered peppermint oil and as another poster above mentioned, jojoba, but I'm not sure what one to buy. Rogaine is a no as he has heart problems.
What meds’ is he on for his heart condition? Propranolol is known to cause hairloss.

Tinks69

My Regimen
Reaction score
What meds’ is he on for his heart condition? Propranolol is known to cause hairloss.
He's not on meds at the moment as his paediatrician wanted to try high salt/water intake first for the tachycardia and just keeping an eye on his MVP Capone.