Something interesting (PRP).

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: Something interesting.

This can't be real. If it is, its a cure. If it were a cure it would be all over the news. I guess there were some news stories in the links, but... I don't know. If it is what it is, this guy would be a billionaire.

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Okay , when looking at pictures like these there is a clear difference between if they are real or not.

Legit photos will have the exact same lighting conditions, hair combed and short. Also, to me it looks like there could be a sprinkle of toppik on the "After" photo. Unless there is conclusive evidence for regrowth , ignore the limitless number of fake material online

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Nuli said:
http://doctorgreco.blogspot.com/

Pictures look promising and at 900 per year, not too bad.

$900 a year is a TON of money. Tons.
Besides... who knows what else that guy was using... minoxidil? Longer hair?

Petchsky

Reaction score

I've heard of PRP used in hair transplantation to help with healing, but not hair growth. Seems a bit suspect to me

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Petchsky said:
I've heard of PRP used in hair transplantation to help with healing, but not hair growth. Seems a bit suspect to me

Yep. And for $900 a year? No thanks.

Nuli

Established Member
Reaction score

I would pay 900 a year to maintain my hair, let alone regrow, in a heartbeat. Maybe i'm just crazy.

Avery

Established Member
Reaction score

So would I. That's what, $70/month? I'd do it.

Besides, his procedure is simple. If similar methods are used or he sells rights to his procedure, by the time we need a 2nd treatment there will be clinics all over the place and the cost will be down.

Nuli

Established Member
Reaction score

It's also FDA approved, not for hair loss, but approved none the less.

kento

Established Member
Reaction score
This is not a cure, i've send him a email. From his response this can maintain your hair for a year so you need to repeat every year. I'm in for this if it really works i will more like to spend a day per year on my hair rather than to do that every day (speaking guy who is on hardcore topical regime)

The only downside is that i've live in Europe

Thank you for your email communication. I have been doing hair transplantation 25 year's and doing cellular injections in surgery and in non-surgical procedures the past two years in over 300 cases. This procedure began as a research grant that was sponsored by the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery so I have to answer to a higher standard that just posting something on the Internet.

Many times in research when you look to observe one thing you end up observing another thing. This study was based upon objective evidence and clinical results lthat ed to this procedure.

So in younger patients who are just beginning to thin one session appears to work for up to one year. You would need a another treatment the next year because of the production of the constant production of DHT. It can give you a Propecia like effect for one year with one treatment.

I suggest the Orogen Plus, which is PRP plus the " protein matrix " and that is $1,000, or you could have PRP for $800 like the patient in the photo.

Attached is the published study for you to read. If you are seriously interested then you can link into my web site at grecohairsurgery.com and fill out a remote consultation. I will also need to see photos of your hair wet because that is where you will be 5 years from now as a rule of thumb.

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score
kento said:
This is not a cure, i've send him a email. From his response this can maintain your hair for a year so you need to repeat every year. I'm in for this if it really works i will more like to spend a day per year on my hair rather than to do that every day (speaking guy who is on hardcore topical regime)

Thank you for your email communication. I have been doing hair transplantation 25 year's and doing cellular injections in surgery and in non-surgical procedures the past two years in over 300 cases. This procedure began as a research grant that was sponsored by the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery so I have to answer to a higher standard that just posting something on the Internet.

Many times in research when you look to observe one thing you end up observing another thing. This study was based upon objective evidence and clinical results lthat ed to this procedure.

So in younger patients who are just beginning to thin one session appears to work for up to one year. You would need a another treatment the next year because of the production of the constant production of DHT. It can give you a Propecia like effect for one year with one treatment.

I suggest the Orogen Plus, which is PRP plus the " protein matrix " and that is $1,000, or you could have PRP for $800 like the patient in the photo.

Attached is the published study for you to read. If you are seriously interested then you can link into my web site at grecohairsurgery.com and fill out a remote consultation. I will also need to see photos of your hair wet because that is where you will be 5 years from now as a rule of thumb.

What the sh*t? Is that true? Is that even possible? Thats a scary f*****g thought...

kento

Established Member
Reaction score
ClayShaw said:
kento said:

What the sh*t? Is that true? Is that even possible? Thats a scary f****ing thought...

This part is mine resume, the other part is the letter that i got from him.

kento

Established Member
Reaction score
This can be big thing to keep our hair until something more promising came up.

If you got sides from finasteride mostly you will spend more that 1000$ on messy topical per year, not to mention that you will become topical junkie :)

I hope that they don't lie, will keep my eyes open on this one for sure. The only downside for me will be if this will be the only clinic in the world that will do this. Additional cost for me to get there but rather i will send 2 days per year saving my hair than putting 4-6 topical applications per day.

Blondilocks

Established Member
Reaction score
I have no idea why people are being so negative, hes had a research grant, hes had results and if you can't take propecia it seems a good shot, and yes this is the first time its been used for hairloss but so was all the rest used:

Propecia was for prostate
Minoxidil was for blood pressure
PRP is FDA approved for surgery

The bottom line is its attacking hairloss from the same lines as Follica and Acell, its wound healing!

I dont like the idea of Greco's PRP Plus there should not be gimmicky better versions that would be like having propecia plus!

Dr Fuller from New York will be offering it this summer aswell, I am going to have this done this year because i cant afford to lose more hair because i cant take propecia!

In continuing to research PRP as an option to prevent hairloss I came across this from an IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon. I don’t know much about the various certifications for hair transplant docs but it sounds like IAHRS is credible and there have been some questions raised about Greco having a PHD but not being a medical doctor.

“PRP is not new, but it’s application to hairloss is as far as I know.

I read about PRP for wound healing a few years ago when it was brought to my attention by a dentist who came to me for a transplant. I read the papers and the theories, and you know what…I think it really works.

Just recently there was an article in our hair transplant trade journal “The Forum†and PRP applied hairloss was discussed. This rekindled my interest in the field.

I will be offering this simple technique to patients before the end of the summer. My protocol will be one treatement every 6 months.

It is safe, relatively inexpensive, and probably the best medical treatment for hairloss since propecia. I actually believe in this and will be committing time and effort to it.

Dr. F
Great Neck, NY 11021
516-487-3797
http://www.fellermedical.com“

The big question for me is that while prp contains all of the growth factors, that unfortunately includes TGF Beta which is a follicle killer, at least under certain circumstances. I believe Greco’s position on this is that while they still don’t know all of the details on exactly how all of the growth factors work together to affect follicles, he believes the positive growth factors overwhelm the TGF Beta. But I am hesitant to take that chance unless he has a sterling reputation. I think prp is used by a number of hair transplant docs and it doesn’t seem to hurt and likely helps at least as far as the healing. And he did get a grant to study prp. On the other hand, the Greco websites seem to over glamorize the “biotech†pics and are maybe a little too slick for my taste from a sales perspective. And, not sure, but I believe Greco owns a piece of OroGen Biosciences which makes the machines and tools that create the prp. So maybe a bit of a conflict. Once you report back, I may give him a call.

Heres a link to Xconomy were some interesting points have been raised:

http://www.xconomy.com/boston/2008/08/1 ... -approach/

This has been on the News for christ sake, it must have some credability you dont see sham products make the news that often, there must be some belief init, or else the media wouldnt run a story, if they did they'd have story every day with dr lees this proctor that saw palmetto this.. bla bla bla

This forum should be a lot bigger than it is! again heres the Greco link for all interested:

http://doctorgreco.blogspot.com/

SoThatsLife

Established Member
Reaction score
Alan Feller is quite into the PRP stuff, he has a personal interest in hair loss products if I recall correct.

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/fo ... 100372/p/4

Many answers and some pics.

A UK Doctor(former patient of Dr Feller) is going to offer the same type of PRP treatment as Dr Feller. The Doctor lives in Birmingham.

Personally I really don't know what to think, it's no cure, but its better than much of the crap on the marked. But 600-800$ in the US or 600£ in UK is quite step.

Mr. Barry, what do you think?

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Surprised that there hasn't been more made of this on here...
be interesting to see how this develops although the lack of statistically evaluation maybe tells it's own story...
still, would a doctor like Feller be risking his whole reputation on something that he wasn't sure would be a success?

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
But why this thing is working? What is the method of action? Can anybody elaborate more on this new stuff? I got it..

“Typically a blood specimen contains 93% RBC, 6% Platelets, and 1% WBC The rationale for PRP benefit lies in reversing the blood ratio by decreasing RBC to 5%, which are less useful in the healing process, and increasing platelets to 94% to stimulate recoveryâ€.

Topical Blood Platelet Gel to Speed Skin Healing?
Posted: May 23, 2007

Treating skin wounds with a concentrated topical gel of the patient’s own blood platelets may result in faster healing, according to research from the University of Cincinnati (UC). The study's leader, David Hom, MD, now a UC otolaryngologist and a facial plastic surgeon, completed his work while he was on faculty of the University of Minnesota.

According to UC, Hom and his team looked at how quickly skin wounds healed when treated with a gel of the individual's own blood platelets (autologous platelet gel or APG), compared with a control antibiotic ointment. This, reported UC, is believed to be one of the earliest preliminary studies comparing the effectiveness of APG on skin wounds in healthy humans.

Four male and four female volunteers, aged 21–58, received five full-thickness skin punch wounds (4 mm diameter) on each thigh. APG was applied topically to the punch sites (one to two times) on one thigh and antibiotic ointment to the other and the wounds were monitored for six months. Over a 42-day period, the researchers claimed that skin wounds treated with APG showed a statistically significant increase in wound closure, compared with the antibiotic-treated sites.

According to the study, published in the May/June 2007 issue of Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery, on day 14, the APG-treated sites had a closure rate of 73.9% while the control, antibiotic-treated sites closed at 49.6%. By day 17, 81.1%of the APG-treated sites closed, compared with 57.2%of the antibiotic sites. Clinical analysis of the APG-treated sites also showed increased growth factor levels, which are essential in wound healing.

“Overall, some of the APG-treated wound sites healed two to three days faster,†said Hom in a report. “That’s a significant amount of time. This may be especially useful for patients who are prone to poor healing, such those with diabetes. Accelerating normal wound healing could also improve the quality of life for patients post-op,†said Hom.

An exciting area where accelerated tissue healing has been demonstrated is wound healing with the use of platelet rich plasma (PRP). This substance is now being used to help accelerate the healing of conditions such as tendonitis, ligament strains, muscle injury, arthritis, and cartilage defects.

Platelet rich plasma is obtained from a sample of the patient's whole blood. Blood is drawn from the patient into a special container and then processed in a specific fashion to allow the largest number of platelets to be harvested.

Platelets are cells that contain multiple healing and growth factors. These include the following:

? Fibrinogen: helps with clotting and framework making.
? Adhesion molecules: helps cells to bind to each other.
? Platelets: initiates clotting and inflammation.
? IL-1: promotes migration of macrophages.
? Platelet derived growth factor: helps with healing; stimulates growth of blood vessels; attracts macrophages.
? Transforming growth factor B: stimulates formation of collagen.
? Epidermal growth factor: stimulates connective tissue growth.
? Vascular endothelial growth factor: stimulates formation of new blood vessels; promotes healing.

All of these platelet-derived growth factors recruit undifferentiated cells to the site of injury and stimulate their growth. When PRP is injected (generally, using ultrasound guidance) into an area of tissue injury, it stimulates damaged tissue to grow in an accelerated manner.

Prior to the 2009 Super Bowl, Hines Ward, the Pittsburgh Steelers' major receiving threat received a treatment of platelet rich plasma to help accelerated the healing of an injury. This treatment allowed Ward to play. While he didn't make the huge impact he ordinarily had during the season, he was healthy enough to draw defenders to him which allowed players like Santonio Holmes to break free. Plus, the psychological edge it gave the Pittsburgh team to know that Ward was ready obviously also was an advantage.

Treatments such as platelet rich plasma and stem cells are introducing a new era of regenerative medicine which will permit the management of chronic degenerative conditions such as arthritis and tendonitis, as well as various acute injuries.

PRP needs to be prepared in a way to ensure a maximal number of platelets along with a high concentration of growth factors. Obviously, the more growth factors that can be delivered to the site of injury, the more likely tissue healing takes place.

While most people respond to one course of treatment, about 10-20 per cent of patients will require a second procedure. Whether a second procedure is needed is usually determined at 1-3 months following the initial procedure. Diagnostic ultrasound using Doppler to assess the amount of residual inflammation is useful for determining the need for another procedure.

Contraindications to the administration of PRP include platelet dysfunction, low platelet count, infection, and anemia.

Following the procedure, patients must rest the affected area to prevent leakage of the PRP from the site.

Pain at the injection site is common for a 1-2 day period following the procedure.

For more information on platelet rich plasma (PRP) and stem cell therapy, call the Arthritis and Osteoporosis Center of Maryland at (301) 694-5800

Platelet formation is regulated by the hormone thrombopoietin (TPO) (Marieb, 2004). Anything that would decrease estrogen may aid in the production of platelets, as estrogen is an inhibitor of Interleukin-6 (IL-6), an immunomodulatory cytokine that stimulates TPO synthesis (Wolber & Jelkman, 2000).

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
send Dr feller a message, he seems to be quite pro-active about responding to questions about this treatment.

Nuli

Established Member
Reaction score
I think PRP might be a move in the right direction, but right now it doesn't seem to have any impact on thinning hair.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Nuli said:
I think PRP might be a move in the right direction, but right now it doesn't seem to have any impact on thinning hair.

Then why you can go for months with just one application and having positive results on hair? The only problem so far is the price.Think about it..no more Topical. The subject wasnt taking any finasteride at all in the pictures. Would like to see the difference with internal finasteride added to the regimen.