Something a hair stylist told me

misterium

Reaction score
Hi,

I was told once by a hair stylist, that using conditioner after every shampoo isn't a good idea, because it "makes the follicles softer, and causes hair to pull out easier".. She said to use it every few days after shampooing but I don't see that as being practical for my hair type.

Also they told me that it's good to brush/comb the scalp, gently of course.. but that it helps "stimulate" the follicles.

Any comments ?

TortoiseAndHair

Established Member
Reaction score
My hair stylist told me that Rogaine and Propecia were bad, and that I should stick with thickening shampoos.

I think that you should take anything your hairstylist tells you with a grain of salt.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
Any hair that comes out while brushing or running your hands through was destined to come out anyways. You are simply delaying the inevitable.

G

My hair stylist told me that when your scalp goes shiny that means you are going bald in that area. Right!

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
Sorry, what was the question again? Only that woman on traxdata's avatar has completely blown my train of thought, was it something to do with stimulation?

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
My hair stylist tells me I know nothing about hair loss.

And that's no joke.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
For a person that works with hair everyday, hairstylists have got to be the stupidest people when it comes to hair loss. You would think since hair is their livelyhood they would educate themselves on the subject of hair loss.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Generally they are just thick... in England anyway. One of the reasons i hate getting my haircut, other than having to look at the back of my head when its finished, is the boring meaningless chit chat - Been on holiday recently? - What football team do you support? - Its raining again! course it is, we are in England!

Phew... I feel better now.

oni

Reaction score
No Petchsky it's when they don't hold the mirror up so you can see the bald spot like you don't know you are going bald :roll:

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
We usually go at it regarding Nioxin.

The guy doesn't even recommend Rogaine to his clients, which confuses the heck out of me. He only tells them to use Nioxin. He doesnt strike me as the type to be motivated just by money. Nioxin sends them on weekend retreats to learn about the stuff. Hundreds of Millions of dollars is spent on building their army of hair stylist nioxin militants. I guess they saw a larger ROI spending that money on weekend conferences than on FDA approval...

When a company has that much money but still avoids FDA testing and approval, the holy grail of legitimacy ... it pretty much proves to me that they know it wont pass.

HairLossTalk.com

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
I must say that I fell for the whole Nioxin thing when I first started losing my hair and really didn't know much :oops:Guess who sold it to me, yup the chick who cuts my hair. I swore off the stuff years ago. My girlfriend has thinning hair and when she got her hair cut (about a year ago) she came home with the three Nioxin products her hairstylist/Nioxin Nazi conned her into buying.
I had to break the news to her that the stuff doesn't stop thinning hair. We used the shampoo and conditioner. Suprisingly It's a really nice shampoo and conditioner..but that's it. I still use the Scalp therapy Conditioner just about every day. It's turned into my favorite conditioner besides Biolage Conditioning Balm.
When I first fell for the Nioxin thing I used it for about 9 months with no results at all. Nioxin has every hair stylist brain washed and you can't argue with them. They think that because they went to school to cut hair, they now know everything there is to know about hairloss.

BHD