Someone I know was diagnosed with cancer. Puts things in perspective

whatintheworld

Reaction score
I know many here talk rather pessimistically about hair loss, and for good reason. I'm well aware of how impactful this condition is.

Frankly though, it pales in comparison to what horrible diseases are out there. Someone I know who was young, healthy, just got a devastating cancer diagnosis. I am praying for his recovery. Treatment is already close to financially crippling his family, and there is much more to come. But beyond the financial aspect, god forbid things may take a turn for the worse, as things are very unknown right now.

All in all, I hope that it gives some perspective to those who may feel depressed because of this. Don't despair, we have relatively safe treatments that can keep your hair for a long time. Transplants have come a long way. Be grateful that if your biggest problem is your hair, you actually have a great life all things considered.

Even if you are not religious, I recommend you thank God tonight for your blessings.

BurningCoals

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, it helps to put things into perspective when you feel bad about a thing. Even if it doesn’t fix the issue, it goes to show it could have been much worse.

My granduncle for example was a NW1 until he died at the age of 89 (!), but he also had polio that gave him pain in his legs and made him wheelchairbound for his last two decades or so, and he also had mental issues as well (with like speech and development and that stuff). So he won in the hair department but lost at alot of way more important stuff.

Hope everything will be alright with your friend.

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I know many here talk rather pessimistically about hair loss, and for good reason. I'm well aware of how impactful this condition is.

Frankly though, it pales in comparison to what horrible diseases are out there. Someone I know who was young, healthy, just got a devastating cancer diagnosis. I am praying for his recovery. Treatment is already close to financially crippling his family, and there is much more to come. But beyond the financial aspect, god forbid things may take a turn for the worse, as things are very unknown right now.

All in all, I hope that it gives some perspective to those who may feel depressed because of this. Don't despair, we have relatively safe treatments that can keep your hair for a long time. Transplants have come a long way. Be grateful that if your biggest problem is your hair, you actually have a great life all things considered.

Even if you are not religious, I recommend you thank God tonight for your blessings.
Indeed. This is merely an example to these pessimists on this site. One that unfortunately they are not going to care too much about as it has “no impact” on their life.

However, when it hits home it is certainly eye opening just how small of an issue hairloss is to the countless other issues that many run into.

Wishing the best for your friend. At the end things always seem to work out, regardless of the result.

TheDarkHour

My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree. My father is seriously ill at the moment and my hair loss seems completely trivial in comparison. I wish the best for your friend and hope for a speedy recovery.

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There is always going to be someone worse or better off than another person, i don't like the idea that this somehow invalidates and delegitimizes another persons suffering and worries just because of that.
Of course there is always going to be someone worse off.

It simply comes down to perspective.

Your current perspective is “theres always someone worse off” in which that does not relate to me therefore I am going to complain about xyz.

The opposite perspective is “wow this guy can’t get out of bed because his legs do not work, I am grateful and blessed to have 2 working feet, perhaps my hairloss situation shouldn’t hold me back from going outside”.

Of course these were very niche examples. I just wanted to paint the picture of perspective. You may choose which one you want to carry.

Of course theres less serious stuff than hairloss. Like poor nail growth. Now imagine if that person with poor nail growth was so self-concious that it impacted their everdaylife. If you went up to them and said “chill man, I have hairloss and I still walk out confidently, nails are no big deal”, then they too would respond with what their perspective is. In which if it was “idc what u have, Im still going to feel sh*t about my nails”, you would be like “what the f***”.

I want to make clear, this in no way invalidates any treatments we take for hairloss. At the end of the day we are being proactive about something we care about and gives us confidence... and that’s all that matters.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
There is always going to be someone worse or better off than another person, i don't like the idea that this somehow invalidates and delegitimizes another persons suffering and worries just because of that.
I get that point, but what I'm saying is that the treatment options we have at our disposal for hair loss are pretty good, especially if you go to elite transplant surgeons.

Many other illnesses, no matter how much money you throw at them...you are at the mercy of luck. And we always think it can never happen to yourself, or someone you know, but it takes a tragedy to unfortunately teach that lesson the hard way.

On my way to play tennis I saw a kid with his parents, he had some muscular disorder and was in a wheelchair. Sure, this is rare, but it isn't "that" rare. It unfortunately happens. And I know everyone here would rather have hair loss than be in that situation.

goku_black

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
no prespective at all. just because hes about to die dosent makes someone's life better. there are still plenty of people who live good life with relationships

dr75

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair loss doesn't kill you, yes. But you are in constant suffering as long as you are alive. You will always miss your thick luscious hair no matter how accepting you are of your condition. Of course cancer is worse when you think about it, yet it doesn't make androgenetic alopecia a benign condition as society makes it out to be.

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair loss doesn't kill you, yes. But you are in constant suffering as long as you are alive. You will always miss your thick luscious hair no matter how accepting you are of your condition. Of course cancer is worse when you think about it, yet it doesn't make androgenetic alopecia a benign condition as society makes it out to be.
Nobody is saying hairloss is great. I think what this thread is trying to do is make you...

when you think about it

justinbieberscombover

My Regimen
Reaction score
From what I've seen everyone actually moves on from hair loss eventually. It can take a bunch of years but it happens. Either through shaving it or getting transplants.

Haironnu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
From what I've seen everyone actually moves on from hair loss eventually. It can take a bunch of years but it happens. Either through shaving it or getting transplants.

you mean they move on from trying to fight it or vent about it, no one moves on from the shitty feeling of being bald, and longing for your hair back.

goku_black

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
you mean they move on from trying to fight it or vent about it, no one moves on from the shitty feeling of being bald, and longing for your hair back.
Those who go bald in their 50's accept it well because its just natural oldness and they lived their young life to the fullest. Its the young balders who are fucked up mentally. I was nw4 by 22. This sh*t scarred me for life