Someone help me put on some weight?

Ian Curtis

Established Member
Reaction score
So....I already eat lots, and Im signing up for gym work out, and I think Ill start taking those weight gain shakes though my parents dont like that.
Does anybody know what I should do? Do you have weight gain techniques? :freak:

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Try to eat more than you usually do.

Try a big bowl of porridge in the morning and chicken for lunch, this has helped me to gain some weight.

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
i was about 139/140 lbs a couple of years ago and im now around 170lbs,i did what lucky advises you to do,i eat a whole lot more now,potatoes,cereal,fish,chicken but with extra fruit and vegetables thrown in,eat more but do it healthily! i also exercise more and i gained muscle which i think weighs more than fat?

GlasgowCelt

Reaction score
I was in the same boat bro - I had a bad case of the mumps a while back and lost a 17 pounds in 6 days due to a stupendously highly active metabolism, and its still the same today I'm still only 11 stone but I went right down to under 9.5 in the space of a week.

What I eat everyday now is
breakky - porridge/museli/nuts and seeds collection
midmornin - apple/banana
lunch - rice/rawveggie
midafternoon - (blue, black, rasp)berries/orange/necterine/plum etc
dinns - mostly fish but sometimes chicken too / brocholli, cauliflower, peas, carrots etc
beforebed - some nuts and seeds

and drink at least 2 litres of water throughout the day, have between 2-4 cups of lemon balm tea, and likewise for green tea, around 6-8 cups of tea a day - and treat myself to some apple juice or pomegranate juice too!

Do this and you should gain wait! but eat PLENTY OF GOOD STUFF! Good luck!

Ian Curtis

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you:)
I already eat lots, but I dont drink that much water, though I eat soup almost twice a day.
How much does drinking water affect the weight gain?

GlasgowCelt

Reaction score
What you're eating appears to be fine. Just eat more than your used too and be careful it doesn't metabolize into fats but instead muscle

All the best

Anus

Reaction score
Protein shakes work best when you use them straight after your workout and eat some fibers with them (high fiber crackers for example). I take my shake to the gym and drink it straight after lifting, then I do my cardio. Been doing that for four months now. I never had my bodyfat percentage measured but a month ago bought a tape measure to have some kind of idea about how I was doing. I lost about 4 inches on my waist in that last month and I weigh one kilo more than I did 4 months ago. Sweet! Losing fat, gaining muscle, feeling good.

Ian Curtis

Established Member
Reaction score
I dont want to lose fat, I hardly have ANY! :(
I might consider a weight gain shake, it has some protein percentage,a protein only shake maybe in a few months.
You gotta watch out for that shake drinking while doing exercise,you might get some digestion problems.
Also, does no one know if drinking water is vital for weight gaining? if so, how much should I drink?

mikej123

Reaction score
Taking in water is always good, I try and drink about a gal a day but I don’t think it has much affect on weight gain. You want to take in 2g of protein per lb of body weight. You do that and work out 3 times a week and you will see some gains

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Ian Curtis said:
So....I already eat lots, and Im signing up for gym work out, and I think Ill start taking those weight gain shakes though my parents dont like that.
Does anybody know what I should do? Do you have weight gain techniques? :freak:

Brushing your teeth with chocolate instead of toothpaste might help.

mpower

Established Member
Reaction score
heh, one more in the club...
it's a tough battle and you gradually win it with the years :)
the thing that stops me is cosistent "eating schedule", the other important things are workout, workout, workout and sleep, sleep, sleep ;)

Finnjävel

Established Member
Reaction score
If you wan't to gain fat. Eat pizzas and all kinds of crap with a lot of calories. There's no quick way to gain muscle, except for steroids which will potentially destroy your liver and give you all kinds of health problems.
One of the biggest myths is, that in order to gain muscle, you have to get fat. That is so not true. You can gain muscle and stay lean at the same time, like I do.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Do Rippetoe's Starting Strength, eat craloads, stay dedicated. Google it for more information.

I've been on it and went from 140lbs to 160lbs and I intend to keep going to 180.

shookwun

Reaction score
Instead of eating three big course meals, divide them up into five smaller meals through out the day. it's crucial that your muscles have protein, carbs to feed on through out the day. Snacking plays a big role also in working-out and gaining mass.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
I've been stuffing my face all the time while working out consistently, I've gained another 10lbs since that last post (I was fluctuating 155-160 at that time and wasn't eating consistently).

I should be 180 within 1 to 2 months. It's really showing. Shoulders getting defined, legs getting bigger, back getting wider.

Dan55

Reaction score
Hey,

I know how your feeling as I felt the same I spent hours and hours browsing the net for the best and quickest ways to gain weight. When you go to the gym you should be doing big compound exercises i.e deadlifts, bench press, squats etc. Start off with light weights to make sure you get good form and comfortable with the movement range. I workout 4 times a week: legs, chest/tris, back/bis, shoulders/abs. Doing only 8-12 reps spending around 35-40mins (not inc warm up/down) any longer and your body will start eating itself.

As the others have said you need to eat MORE split it up it up to 6 meals a day, if you add an extra 1000 calories a day to what you normally eat you should see a couple lbs gained a week. If you parents don't like the idea of weight gainers try drinking full fat milk, 2 pints is like 650 calories and has good source of protein and vitamins.

The hardest part is being consistent there is no point eating loads one day then nothing the next.I'm not how much your looking to put on but a stone is achievable in like 4-6 weeks? Make sure the food your getting down is good to support muscle growth from the gym. lots of protein and carbs for energy.

I weighed 141lb at the beginning of december I'm now at 158lb and still going. Then I'll start cutting for summer :)