Some "way 316606" Stuff Is Making Headlines Today.

MomoGee

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2018/05/08/baldness-cure-could-come-side-effect-cancer-drug/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-44038756

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/08/bal...ound-in-an-osteoporosis-drug-study-finds.html

There's tons of news websites talking about this today. Though some of you might give a sh*t.

Supposedly tests were conducted on actual human hair follicles which is at least good to know, and as always hair growth was a side effect and not the primary target. Actual drug is called Cyclosporine A.

"Enhanced hair growth is a side-effect of a different drug, cyclosporine A, used to treat autoimmune diseases.

And researchers found it also inhibited a protein, SFRP1, that blocks a molecular pathway, WNT, vital for the growth of many tissues, including hair."

Last edited:

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it increases the rate of growth on healthy hair but I didn't see them say that it grew hair in bald areas

MomoGee

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sounds like it increases the rate of growth on healthy hair but I didn't see them say that it grew hair in bald areas
I thought growth stimulants help against male pattern baldness despite not addressing the root cause. Like Minoxidil.

InBeforeTheCure

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Here's the paper: Identifying novel strategies for treating human hair loss disorders: Cyclosporine A suppresses the Wnt inhibitor, SFRP1, in the dermal papilla of human scalp hair follicles

Abstract:

Hair growth disorders often carry a major psychological burden. Therefore, more effective human hair growth–modulatory agents urgently need to be developed. Here, we used the hypertrichosis-inducing immunosuppressant, Cyclosporine A (CsA), as a lead compound to identify new hair growth–promoting molecular targets. Through microarray analysis we identified the Wnt inhibitor, secreted frizzled related protein 1 (SFRP1), as being down-regulated in the dermal papilla (DP) of CsA-treated human scalp hair follicles (HFs) ex vivo. Therefore, we further investigated the function of SFRP1 using a pharmacological approach and found that SFRP1 regulates intrafollicular canonical Wnt/β-catenin activity through inhibition of Wnt ligands in the human hair bulb. Conversely, inhibiting SFRP1 activity through the SFRP1 antagonist, WAY-316606, enhanced hair shaft production, hair shaft keratin expression, and inhibited spontaneous HF regression (catagen) ex vivo. Collectively, these data (a) identify Wnt signalling as a novel, non–immune-inhibitory CsA target; (b) introduce SFRP1 as a physiologically important regulator of canonical β-catenin activity in a human (mini-)organ; and (c) demonstrate WAY-316606 to be a promising new promoter of human hair growth. Since inhibiting SFRP1 only facilitates Wnt signalling through ligands that are already present, this ‘ligand-limited’ therapeutic strategy for promoting human hair growth may circumvent potential oncological risks associated with chronic Wnt over-activation.

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I thought growth stimulants help against male pattern baldness despite not addressing the root cause. Like Minoxidil.
Im sure it cant hurt. But male pattern baldness is a beast.

They mentioned testing it on harvested follicles from transplant participants. Certainly the harvested follicles are healthy follicles, so of course they would have no problem growing, especially with a stimulant.
What they should have done is harvested dying follicles to see if it regenerated them to a healthier state

Kagaho

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Im sure it cant hurt. But male pattern baldness is a beast.

They mentioned testing it on harvested follicles from transplant participants. Certainly the harvested follicles are healthy follicles, so of course they would have no problem growing, especially with a stimulant.
What they should have done is harvested dying follicles to see if it regenerated them to a healthier state

Good observation. Still i recall reading somewhere cyclosporin did regrow hair affected by Androgenetic Alopecia, which seems to validate what this guys are concluding

abcdefg

Reaction score
Yeah its getting a lot of attention of the media

Everything with male pattern baldness gets tons of press if they have nothing else to talk about. PGD2 discovery was hailed as male pattern baldness cure in 2012. Its 2018 now, and that product does not exist yet if ever.
The WNT pathway probably is involved in male pattern baldness, but its going to be 10 years minimum to see any product from this research if ever. WNT pathway is involved in many other things so cancer could show up as well.
You cant suppress your immune system safely, but doing so has been shown to regrow some hair.

SamFT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Everything with male pattern baldness gets tons of press if they have nothing else to talk about. PGD2 discovery was hailed as male pattern baldness cure in 2012. Its 2018 now, and that product does not exist yet if ever.
The WNT pathway probably is involved in male pattern baldness, but its going to be 10 years minimum to see any product from this research if ever. WNT pathway is involved in many other things so cancer could show up as well.
You cant suppress your immune system safely, but doing so has been shown to regrow some hair.
On the PGD2 discovery.. That’s what happens with EVERY discovery. They find a gene or pathway and it’s all over the media.. After a week or few Days you don’t see it for years.. Why? Common sense they have years of preclinicals and clinical research to do before they can even hit the market. Not surprising it hasn’t come back up too much yet

InBeforeTheCure

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So should we care about this or nah, Grandmaster Inb4?

The study suggests it might give similar results to cyclosporine (maybe better), but without the nasty immunosuppresion. So if you care about cyclosporine-tier results, yes. If not, then no.

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score

I call speculation.

It’s going to be 2 years before market. Or 1 year. Or maybe 500. Or maybe 10.

The great news folks is that this guy doesn’t know. And neither do you

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
The study suggests it might give similar results to cyclosporine (maybe better), but without the nasty immunosuppresion. So if you care about cyclosporine-tier results, yes. If not, then no.

Never even heard of it until now, and that study is too smart for me.

So it's a conclusive "maybe"

westonci

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Slides https://imgur.com/a/m62S5

FDAKX5x.jpg

Bigoldben

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m exceptionally dubious of this tbh, they’ve found a drug that may prevent baldness in some respect. The drug then needs to be tweaked for the specific use, it then needs to be trialled, in the UK a drug needs three trials to come to market. The likelihood is that this will take the best part of a decade and at the end of it the chances are that it will be a similar drug to finasteride in that it will have to be taken every day. That said it may amount to a better minoxidil but for everyone on here’s sake (especially my own) I hope this drug never comes to market. Simply because if all the trials (or ideally even one) going on at the moment show an appropriate level of efficacy producing this drug would be next to pointless.

Min0

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m exceptionally dubious of this tbh, they’ve found a drug that may prevent baldness in some respect. The drug then needs to be tweaked for the specific use, it then needs to be trialled, in the UK a drug needs three trials to come to market. The likelihood is that this will take the best part of a decade and at the end of it the chances are that it will be a similar drug to finasteride in that it will have to be taken every day. That said it may amount to a better minoxidil but for everyone on here’s sake (especially my own) I hope this drug never comes to market. Simply because if all the trials (or ideally even one) going on at the moment show an appropriate level of efficacy producing this drug would be next to pointless.
i hope you lose your last tiny hairs as soon as possible, you sad strange retard.

Last edited: