Some Specifics on the Rogaine Foam Vehicle for the Curious..

H2O

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's a chart or two as well as a PDF link to a scientific study examining the penetration efficacy of the VersaFoam used in Rogaine Foam as a number of people have questioned how well it penetrates given the fact that it "dries so fast" compared to the old, greasy formula...

Note that this is a study based only on the VersaFoam vehicle and not specifically Rogaine Foam...but it does clearly show the effectiveness of its penetration profile :

graph_b1a.gif

This graph also partly explains the minimum 4 hour timespan recommended before washing off...as the penetration characteristics seem to peak around the 4 to 6 hour mark.

Here's the PDF link to the study from which the above data was drawn :

http://www.versafoam.com/pdf/huang.pdf

Taken from the study :

The studies presented herein demonstrated that the new foam has the ability to deliver a greater amount of the active drug at an increased rate compared with other vehicles. This was true whether entry occurred into a synthetic lipophilic barrier (Silastic membrane) or into split-thickness skin samples (from live human donors). These findings also suggest that the new foam utilizes a nontraditional ‘‘rapid-permeation’’ pathway for the delivery of drugs. It is likely that components within the foam (probably the alcohols) act as penetration enhancers 8 and reversibly alter the barrier properties of the outer stratum corneum, thereby driving the delivered drug across the skin membrane via the intracellular route. This is in contrast to traditional topical delivery vehicles, which must first rely on hydration of the intercellular spaces in the stratum corneum to effect drug delivery. The latter mechanism reflects a hydration-dependent process, which may result in comparatively slower drug permeation. Researchers have speculated that the physical changes that a foam vehicle such as this new foam undergoes after release from the container has important implications for the rate of penetration and permeation of an agent through the stratum
corneum.12 It is well known that maximum drug transfer into the skin takes place when the drug is in a saturated solution at the vehicle-skin interface.12,21 The evaporation of volatiles from the foam, which
leaves behind little if any residue from the vehicle, may cause the active ingredient to concentrate at the interface, leading to the aforementioned saturation and then to supersaturation. This supersaturation,
although generally a transient condition, results in a drug delivery rate exceeding that of a saturated solution that may occur with other vehicles, further contributing to the enhanced rate of delivery seen
with the new foam. In addition, supersaturation may permit the formation of a drug reservoir within the stratum corneum.

Happy Reading...

H2O

Established Member
Reaction score
Kiffa said:
man, that's very interesting 8)
thank so much :lol:

Glad you find me funny Kiffa...but let me understand this cause, I don't know maybe it's me, I'm a little f*%ked up maybe, but I'm funny how? I mean, funny like I'm a clown ? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I'm here to f$#kin' amuse you? How da f!%k am I funny? What da f#!k is so funny about me? Tell me. Tell me what's funny !!

G

man i was serious, i really appreciated your info post. it was a really good post and i thank u
and i laughed because i was happy to see some studies about penetration efficacy of the VersaFoam, nothing else

H2O

Established Member
Reaction score
Kiffa said:
man i was serious, i really appreciated your info post. it was a really good post and i thank u
and i laughed because i was happy to see some studies about penetration efficacy of the VersaFoam, nothing else

hehe...I was afraid you might take me seriously :p . That is a quote from the movie "Good Fellas". Joe Pesci made that "How Am I Funny" speech to another character in the movie. I wasn't sure if you'd get the reference. I appreciate you explaining yourself but I didn't take offense to your original post. I don't take things like that seriously at all....sorry about the confusion Kiffa...I was just making a joke :)

It's kinda funny but life imitates art here...because in the movie the other character that Joe Pesci was saying the "How am I Funny" speech to also didn't know that Joe Pesci was really just joking...at least not at first.

Anyway....Sorry about the confusion and I'm glad you found the info useful... :D

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
lol i got the refrence
i love good fellas its a very cool film