Some Questions For Dutasteride Users

mrmojorisin

Reaction score
Just got a few questions for dutasteride user out there

- How long have you been taking dutasteride?
- How much do you take and how often?
- How long did it take to notice a change if any e.g maintenance or regrowth
- Where do you get it from?
- How much does it cost?
- Any side effects?

Thanks for any replies.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
3 months, was on finasteride for 3 years before that. I'm hoping for an increase in hair density iirc it can restore an extra 10 or so hairs per 2 over finasteride.
I take it every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Take finasteride on other days.
I get it from a Japanese Gp, he just gives me whatever I ask him for really.
It's cheap but only because I have to pay 200,000 yen health insurance every year...
No side effects.
No notable regrowth or thickening as of yet. Been shedding heavily since March and that hasn't stopped.

Derpicus

Established Member
Reaction score
I was on Finasteride for roughly a year, and I've been on dutasteride for roughly a year.

I take 0.5 mg daily

I can't comment on that since anything extra could be related to dutasteride combined with minoxidil. But I do believe I've been maintaining a lot better on dutasteride; but I did experience a totally new shed after dropping finasteride and switching to dutasteride around 4 months, since then I haven't experienced another shed.

I get it from my Family Doctor / GP. It took a bit of convincing by bringing in studies and etc, as well as saying if needed I'd be willing to sign a form for using a prescription for an off use application. Since I don't believe Dutasteride/Avodart at the moment is an approved treatment for hair loss in Canada. I wasn't required to sign a form, but it showed I was well aware of what I was asking.

It costs me nothing a month due to my student health insurance. Student Health costs me around 500 a year.

I have yet to experience any noticeable side effects. dutasteride does have a greater chance of showing side effects.

mrmojorisin

Reaction score
I am gonna answer my own questions myself here aswell

- I have been taking it since June 2016
- I take a 0.5mg capsule twice a week
- Haven't noticed a change yet, male pattern baldness itch is there but maybe because I quit nizoral
- I get it from alldaychemist
- It costs £25 for 30 0.5mg capsules
- I have noticed some very slight ball ache, weakened erections and possibly lower libido. It is worrying but I could live with it

mrmojorisin

Reaction score
3 months, was on finasteride for 3 years before that. I'm hoping for an increase in hair density iirc it can restore an extra 10 or so hairs per 2 over finasteride.
I take it every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Take finasteride on other days.
I get it from a Japanese Gp, he just gives me whatever I ask him for really.
It's cheap but only because I have to pay 200,000 yen health insurance every year...
No side effects.
No notable regrowth or thickening as of yet. Been shedding heavily since March and that hasn't stopped.

Did you shed on finasteride? I did but never regrew anything.

I was on Finasteride for roughly a year, and I've been on dutasteride for roughly a year.

I take 0.5 mg daily

I can't comment on that since anything extra could be related to dutasteride combined with minoxidil. But I do believe I've been maintaining a lot better on dutasteride; but I did experience a totally new shed after dropping finasteride and switching to dutasteride around 4 months, since then I haven't experienced another shed.

I get it from my Family Doctor / GP. It took a bit of convincing by bringing in studies and etc, as well as saying if needed I'd be willing to sign a form for using a prescription for an off use application. Since I don't believe Dutasteride/Avodart at the moment is an approved treatment for hair loss in Canada. I wasn't required to sign a form, but it showed I was well aware of what I was asking.

It costs me nothing a month due to my student health insurance. Student Health costs me around 500 a year.

I have yet to experience any noticeable side effects. dutasteride does have a greater chance of showing side effects.

Did you ever shed on finasteride? I did real bad but never regrew anything.

I am tempted to ask for dutasteride at my GP but I am worried they will end up cancelling my finasteride prescription if it is not working. I am not even sure if I could get dutasteride through a doctor here in the UK.

I am jealous that you're getting no sides from it. I am taking it twice a week and getting sides, which is strange considering when I was on 1.25mg of finasteride every day I didn't get sides.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score

I am tempted to ask for dutasteride at my GP but I am worried they will end up cancelling my finasteride prescription if it is not working. I am not even sure if I could get dutasteride through a doctor here in the UK.

I am jealous that you're getting no sides from it. I am taking it twice a week and getting sides, which is strange considering when I was on 1.25mg of finasteride every day I didn't get sides.
I shed on finasteride. And before finasteride. And badly I don't recall losing less than 150 hairs a day since.... Maybe teenage years. But despite the never ending shedding, I did gain a significant amount of hair too, so while it is always worrying. I'm trying to stay optimistic but vigilant.
You need to find a different doctor, very few will give dutasteride, most won't even give finasteride, even though it's FDA approved....

Derpicus

Established Member
Reaction score

I shed on Finasteride like a lot. It scared the sh*t out of me to be honest, but I knew that in the long run it was gonna get better. I just shaved it real low to make it not as noticeable. I had a lot of hairs showing up on my keyboard/desk area, on my pillow, and it was clogging my shower drain.

The thing is finasteride isn't the best for regrowing nor is dutasteride. Yah Dutasteride will generally give you a couple more extra hairs but both prescriptions are used for maintaining. People who get regrowth are honestly really lucky, not everyone gets to experience regrowth from them.

As for getting side effects after you decreased the amount of days you take finasteride that seems really odd. Normally if you took it more often you would experience side effects.

Overall I think you'll have a hard time getting a doctor to prescribe Dutasteride, but I wish you the best luck.

Jim lahey

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
- around 3 months
- started ed for 2 months and recently dropped it to twice a week
-didnt notice a visual change yet
-prescribed by my gp
-idk insurance covers most of it
- yes, prostate pain and discomfort, really bad ball ache, joint pain, and pain in my penis.

horunger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
dutasteride has extremely short halflife when taken in small infrequent doses, even at 0.5 a day it takes 3 moths to build up to 90% of therapeutic concentration, and then the halflife has increased to 3-5 weeks. 0.5 is really the minimum dosage of dutasteride due to the two elimination routes that messes up it's halflife so badly and making it so unpredictable in lower or more infrequent doses.

Im taking 0.5 a day of genuine Avodart and the result was very visible in less than a month, definitely extremely effective. Now its been 3 months+ and the result is unreal.

People who take duta eod or 1-2 capsules twice a week should expect no results, and as we see here they have no result. When used properly and AS DIRECTED BY GSK the effect is visible in just a few weeks.