Some Personal Idea About The Ar Receptor And Dht

James Passion

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The DHT concentration in the hair loss site and the AR receptor of the hair follicle are higher than those in the non-hair loss site (about 7 pmol/g in the hair loss site and about 3 or 4 pmol/g in the other site). The raise of DHT concentration and the development of AR receptors, Who is the cause and who is the result? Is it said that the receptors at the hair loss site develop more gradually than the non-hair loss site, leading to an increase in the level of 5 alpha reductase in this part, ensuring that sufficient DHT can bind to the receptor?

Taking finasteride to inhibit 5 alpha-reductase activity can decrease the DHT concentration in the scalp (from 7pmol/g to 3.5pmol/g) and slow or even stop hair loss, but transplant hair from the hair loss site to the back of the head or arm will still cause the fall off (transplanted to the site where DHT concentration does not rise), is it because these hair follicles with developed AR receptors will promote the rise of 5 alpha reductase levels in the nearby area, leading to shedding?
If the receptor is not caused by the rise of 5 alpha-reductase levels, why finasteride can reduce the hair loss, but transplanting hair to the back of head or arm will still cause the hair loss? (all DHT concentrations dropped to 4pmol/g)

In addition, hair after hair transplant may fall off after several years (Rooney is a typical example). Does it mean that DHT is poisonous to all kinds of hair? Although the level of hair receptors for the hair follicle at the back of the head is not high, the level of DHT in the transplanted area is relatively high, which still causes hair follicle atrophy. . .

Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism The effect of finasteride, a 5 a-reductase inhibitor, on scalp skin testosterone and dihydrotestosterone concentrations in patients with male pattern baldness. J Clin Endocrinol Metab:

In 10 male subjects studied at baseline, mean (+/- SEM) DHT levels were significantly higher in bald (7.37 +/- 1.24 pmol/g) compared to hair-containing (4.20 +/- 0.65 pmol/g) scalp, whereas there was no difference in mean T levels at baseline.

The above is some of my personal thoughts, welcome to discuss.

vlados

My Regimen
Reaction score
Going by " In 10 male subjects studied at baseline, mean (+/- SEM) DHT levels were significantly higher in bald (7.37 +/- 1.24 pmol/g) compared to hair-containing (4.20 +/- 0.65 pmol/g) scalp, whereas there was no difference in mean T levels at baseline." , we can say that balding is really site specific(duh !) and taking an oral/systemic 5ar inhibitor is not really necessary. We need to do something about those DHT rich areas. I think we can also emphasize the fact that serum levels are not really important , because if they were one would have similar DHT concentrations on all scalp areas.

So ,,maybe using topical finasteride/anti androgen in the balding areas would be a better choice. The issue here is making a topical formulation being able to reach deep enough to the hair folicle AND stay there .

James Passion

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Going by " In 10 male subjects studied at baseline, mean (+/- SEM) DHT levels were significantly higher in bald (7.37 +/- 1.24 pmol/g) compared to hair-containing (4.20 +/- 0.65 pmol/g) scalp, whereas there was no difference in mean T levels at baseline." , we can say that balding is really site specific(duh !) and taking an oral/systemic 5ar inhibitor is not really necessary. We need to do something about those DHT rich areas. I think we can also emphasize the fact that serum levels are not really important , because if they were one would have similar DHT concentrations on all scalp areas.

So ,,maybe using topical finasteride/anti androgen in the balding areas would be a better choice. The issue here is making a topical formulation being able to reach deep enough to the hair folicle AND stay there .
Yes, that is the key. I have the same opinion with you. I have learned before that the Japanese are developing hair follicle cloning technology. I don't know whether they have considered to clone the hair follicles of beard. DHT can promote beard growth. I think the high level of DHT is good for beard.