Some members using larger dose than standard .5mg/day dutasteride for better results?

1982man

Established Member
Reaction score
As the subject implies, I'm wondering if there are still members here who purport to get better results, safely, on Dutasteride when taking more than the recommended 0.5mg/day. I remember seeing people took upwards of 2mg or more/day. I'm having a little trouble with search so I wanted to repost the topic here if possible.
I thought the point of taking 0.5mg/day was because "more is not better" with the way Dutasteride works. You're just increasing chance of side effects and yet having no increase of effectiveness, if I remember correctly.

I've taken dutasteride at 0.5mg for a few years and I'm not complaining with the results. I seems to be stable.

Thanks!
Brad

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
According to the studies 2.5mg yielded better results with slight increase in side effect occurrence.. from my experience reading through forums for years those who have tried 2.5mg more often than not didn't report good results, however those same people were also not responding to 0.5mg. I'd imagine if you're having success with the standard dose you will benefit from taking more, but if you've not responded well to the standard dose I doubt increasing it would help.

1982man

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you, I'm glad I asked and I'm glad to get an answer from you as one who's been around here a while!

1982man

Established Member
Reaction score
For me 0.5mg no response, 2.5mg no reponse.
I'm sorry to hear that. I'm on .5mg with no side effects for a few years, but since you have taken 2.5mg, may I ask how long you were on the 2.5mg and did you have side effects?

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that. I'm on .5mg with no side effects for a few years, but since you have taken 2.5mg, may I ask how long you were on the 2.5mg and did you have side
I was 7 months into .5mg then upped to 2.5mg and stayed at 2mg. Total 1.5yrs first 7 was on .5mg rest 2.5-2mg I wish I never touched the stuff. Sides even at .5mg ejaculation disorder semen struggling out of penis and at the end only produced 1 drop of semen. My hair thinned out faster on dutasteride than without it. dutasteride reduced my shedding but hair thinned faster anyways. Quit it and hair is thinning at a snails pace now. I tried finasteride after dutasteride and now got permanent ejaculation disorder. Never touching dutasteride or finasteride ever in my life again, I hate myself for trying them. Now im just on topical RU solo basically.

Last edited:

1982man

Established Member
Reaction score
I was 7 months into .5mg then upped to 2.5mg and stayed at 2mg. Total 1.5yrs first 7 was on .5mg rest 2.5-2mg I wish I never touched the stuff. Sides even at .5mg ejaculation disorder semen struggling out of penis and at the end only produced 1 drop of semen. My hair thinned out faster on dutasteride than without it. dutasteride reduced my shedding but hair thinned faster anyways. Quit it and hair is thinning at a snails pace now. I tried finasteride after dutasteride and now got permanent ejaculation disorder. Never touching dutasteride or finasteride ever in my life again, I hate myself for trying them. Now im just on topical RU solo basically.
I'm going to titrate up to 2.5mg just to see what happens, but I don't know if it should be done all at once or gradually increase dosage similar to other styles of drugs.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah I didn't have any sides like that with reproductive stuff. I'm still shootin' ropes. To be perfectly honest I had a vasectomy a few years ago.
Its interesting how it affects guys so Differently. If u look up dutasteride side effects, ejaculation disorder is one of the listed possible side effects. Im currently just soloing RU at 100-150 mg. Im done Messing with DHT and my hormones.

1982man

Established Member
Reaction score
Its interesting how it affects guys so Differently. If u look up dutasteride side effects, ejaculation disorder is one of the listed possible side effects. Im currently just soloing RU at 100-150 mg. Im done Messing with DHT and my hormones.
So did you jump from 0.5mg up to 2.5mg overnight or gradually increase dosage over a few week's time?

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
So did you jump from 0.5mg up to 2.5mg overnight or gradually increase dosage over a few week's time?
Overnight. Didnt make a difference in my case. I felt strong af on duta like I was on steroids. It must have raised my T alot which caused faster thinning. Or it just caused hormonal imbalance in me which caused thinning. It did reduce my hairfall and removed itch 100% but I was better off without it.

1982man

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay, makes sense. It sounds like going up to 2.5 mg could be really awesome or really horrible or a combination of all over the place. I’m going to try it. I guess if it messes with me I can go back down to 0.5 mg where I’ve been happy for a few years.

1982man

Established Member
Reaction score
What a disappointment! Went to see my primary care doctor today for my annual physical. Told him let’s up it to 2.5mg on dutasteride and see what happens. He said no, “0.5 is as high a dose as I feel comfortable prescribing for Dutasteride to treat male pattern loss.”
How have other people gotten a script for 2.5? Maybe outside the West where it’s a little more easier?
One of the reason my personal physician won’t prescribe higher doses of dutasteride is that it masks symptoms of prostate problems on lab work. He also isn’t even a fan of the half milligram dose for hair loss because he thinks it’s off label. I told him I know this stuff, and it’s my body, but, alas.

Last edited:

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
What a disappointment! Went to see my primary care doctor today for my annual physical. Told him let’s up it to 2.5mg on dutasteride and see what happens. He said no, “0.5 is as high a dose as I feel comfortable prescribing for Dutasteride to treat male pattern loss.”
How have other people gotten a script for 2.5? Maybe outside the West where it’s a little more easier?
Get it from the net. I did.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just thought I'd chime back in since I've added dutasteride 0.5mg myself and for a month dropped finasteride completely while using dutasteride and its wiped out ALL my regrowth I've gained from using RU within a month... cant say I'm surprised as finasteride had the same effect on me..however this time its different and I'm shedding alot of hair as opposed to just aggressively thinning.. I'll give it some more time but I'm thinking about dropping dutasteride.. I didnt need it and I'm now paying the price.

sunlight2

My Regimen
Reaction score
I watch Kevin Mann's videos on Haircafe a lot and he's convinced that titrating to 2.5mg dutasteride per day would be a cast-iron guarantor of preventing further hairloss. Yet there are those here, and others, who are still non-responders even at 2.5....so what is going on there? If the consensus is the problem is DHT why does dutasteride at 2.5 still not work for some?
I haven't responded very well at 0.5 and would be interested to try, but...it's expensive.

1982man

Established Member
Reaction score
Links here or in my inbox for where to begin getting a prescription of 2.5 dutasteride from a provider online? But my automatic worry thought is, will my insurance pay for that? I guess only one way to find out. When you say it’s expensive for 2.5 mg dutasteride how much are we talking for one month supply?
One of the reason my personal physician won’t prescribe higher doses of dutasteride is that it masks symptoms of prostate problems on lab work. He also isn’t even a fan of the half milligram dose for hair loss because he thinks it’s off label. I told him I know this stuff, and it’s my body, but, alas.