Some info on my situation (pics)

talbin

Reaction score
I am 23 and I basically started noticing my hair falling out around 9 months ago. I had just gotten off of accutane and I had the infamous red bumps all over my scalp and it itched like crazy. I have been using Nizoral 2% for the last 6 months and an anti-dandruff shampoo. My scalp still itches a lot but definately not as bad as it used to.

The point of my post is not to ask what kind of drugs I should get on because I really don't think it's worth the time or money. I just want to know if anyone has had hair that looks like mine around my age and how long I can expect it to last.

All these pics are when my hair is wet.

http://www.users.qwest.net/~talbin/pic1.jpg
http://www.users.qwest.net/~talbin/pic2.jpg
http://www.users.qwest.net/~talbin/pic3.jpg

EDIT:

Here is a picture of my hair when dry so yo can see why I am not too concerned. It looks thick to me.

http://www.users.qwest.net/~talbin/pic4.jpg

Petchsky

Reaction score
Hard to say.... 2 - 5 years? maybe longer impossible to say for sure

G

I'm going to be honest with you here.

Looking at your pictures - if you had a full head of hair (Norwood 1) 9 months ago, I would say your hairloss is quite aggresive. No-one can tell how long it will take you to go bald because everyone is different.

You do have a good chance of keeping what you've got and thickening it considrably if you start Finasteride now.

Its defintely worth a try man.

ugem12

Established Member
Reaction score
I will recommend not to estimate days of getting bald but to fight until it lasts. Do get on Finestride and Minoxidil as soon as possible, if you have lost all you had in last 9 months then you may have good chance to recover quite a bit. Come on, give it a fight.

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hmm well no one can answer your question seeing as how male pattern baldness is so much different for each person who experiences it..i mean it could be aggresive for 9 months but..for another 9 months it could not thin all that much..you never know..but the good thing to do is atleast get on some drug that slows it down no matter what.

I know you said this post wasnt about what drug to get on if any..but no one on this site can answer your question,just give educated guesses.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
If you do decide to start using propecia and minoxidil, the sooner the better. Your hair is not that bad now and they will help you keep what you have. It does seem that you are aggressively losing so don't wait til its too late.

talbin

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys I really apreciate it. You are are really encouraging and I my just have t ostart some of this medical stuff to see what happens. This aggresive shed talk got me a litle worried heh. I'll have to keep everyone posted on how my situation goes.

ACT10Npack

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Do you have any images from 9 months ago because it seem like you been lossing hair for a couple of years and you didn't want to face the fact until 9 months ago.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ACT10Npack said:
Do you have any images from 9 months ago because it seem like you been lossing hair for a couple of years and you didn't want to face the fact until 9 months ago.
I'd have to agree. I am sure now that I had started losing my hair years before I accepted it. And that does look like more then 9 months of recession/diffusion. (If it is just nine months, then you should really be concerned).

Unless you want to be straight bald by 30, just get on the drugs, man. :/ If its really just the money, then buy Cipla Fincar. You can get a years supply for under $100. Thats less then $10 a month. You could even make the same amount last two years by half-dosing it (but I'd reccomend taking a full dose).

Hair isnt the most important thing in the world. We know this. Still you need to ask yourself how losing it is going to effect your self confidence, which is important. If you dont think it will, then maybe its not such a big deal.

talbin

Reaction score
ACT10Npack said:

Well it is possible but it is hard to tell because of the way I style my hair. My hair stylist and friends never said anything about it until this last year so that's why I assumed it was starting to get bad. My hair also never itched or had red bumps until the past year.

Also, as I mentioned, I was on accutane because of my acne so I had other stuff I was worried about. Just the way we humans are I guess, never satisfied with how we look.

talbin

Reaction score
flux said:
ACT10Npack said:
I'd have to agree. I am sure now that I had started losing my hair years before I accepted it. And that does look like more then 9 months of recession/diffusion. (If it is just nine months, then you should really be concerned).

Unless you want to be straight bald by 30, just get on the drugs, man. :/ If its really just the money, then buy Cipla Fincar. You can get a years supply for under $100. Thats less then $10 a month. You could even make the same amount last two years by half-dosing it (but I'd reccomend taking a full dose).

Hair isnt the most important thing in the world. We know this. Still you need to ask yourself how losing it is going to effect your self confidence, which is important. If you dont think it will, then maybe its not such a big deal.

Not really the money, just the hassle I guess that I've read a lot of people have gone through. I am going to give propecia a try I think because you guys are stressing it so much.

KevinW

Established Member
Reaction score
People often say their hairloss occured overnight- but what I believe happens more often is that overnight they saw the cup half full to half empty. This happened to me, and when I look back at pictures of when I thought my hair was fine (my hair still sucked) I now wonder how on earth I didn't notice. When you look in the mirror you see what you want to see. Sometimes I see 17yr old kevin with good hair and sometimes I see 23 yr old Kevin that is dealing with hairloss. It's so bizarre, yet completely natural.

Oh and for you I would begin with Propecia/Proscar and consider minoxidil as well. You may be able to reverse some of your loss, especially if your hairloss progression is less rapid then you might realize. Find some older pictures for all us licensed medical practitioners to diagnose you. ;D

G

I'm glad we've convinced you to get on the treatments.

I'm gonna paste in what I wrote to another guy who was just starting out the other day - i feel it sums up what you have to do.

Take some time and read through some posts on this site. I have been doing that for about 6 months now and i have gone from knowing very little abouit hairloss, to knowing more than any of the derms and GP's I have spoken to.

You really need to consider getting on Finasteride, if you want to halt your thinning. I appreciate many people are concerned over the side-effects of the drug but I really do feel they are few and far-between and only effect about 1-2% of users. Many people (including myself) experience an initial problem in the c*** department (either a lowering of libido or some occasional erectile dysfunction) however most people's reported problems go away after a couple of weeks of continued use, and IMHO, I feel that the majority of these cases are psychological. I swear that hardly anyone would reported boner/libido trouble if they didnt read about the side effects beforehand.

Other than a slight increase in general health, natural supplements will do jack for your hair.

Nizoral is good stuff, so stick with that but use a good moistruising conditioner after as it is prone to drying your hair out and can sometimes make you think its no good for your hair.

Get on the finasteride buddy, see what your hair is like after a year's continued use, if its much worse you may want to consider using minoxidil, but i'll bet you will be pleased with your results.

I think the key to combatting hairloss is to get on finasteride and Nizoral (and maybe minoxidil depending on your severity of hairloss) and then forgetting about it for a while.

I have a suggested plan for you and anyone else who is experiencing the first stages of hairloss:

1. Take some time to read up and research hairloss on this site by looking back through threads and searching on topics relevant to yourself.
2. Read up on posts from experienced and helpful Forum Members on this site. IMHO, if you want honest, accurate and helpful advice look at posts from the Moderators (HairLossTalk.com, TynanW, Axon, Cassin)
3. Take photographs of your balding areas now and every month but try and keep them at the same angle, lighting, time of day and distance from your head. This will show you your progress in a true light.
4. Get on Finasteride now, either from your doctor, derm or order from a legit website(this could be your first search topic).
5. Get a haircut that is easy to maintain/style
6. Go to the gym, go out have a good time, bang your GF or some sl*ts you meet, play sports, be good to your family and friends, work hard and try and advance your career. Basically do everything else that makes you a better person and feel good about yourself.
7. Don't visit this site to often and dont read posts with titles like: 'hairloss has ruined my life' etc.
8. Try you hardest not to think about hairloss all of the time.
9. Be positive - this can truly help.

Over and out.

circusrat

Reaction score
KevinW said:
People often say their hairloss occured overnight- but what I believe happens more often is that overnight they saw the cup half full to half empty. This happened to me, and when I look back at pictures of when I thought my hair was fine (my hair still sucked) I now wonder how on earth I didn't notice. When you look in the mirror you see what you want to see. Sometimes I see 17yr old kevin with good hair and sometimes I see 23 yr old Kevin that is dealing with hairloss. It's so bizarre, yet completely natural.

Oh and for you I would begin with Propecia/Proscar and consider minoxidil as well. You may be able to reverse some of your loss, especially if your hairloss progression is less rapid then you might realize. Find some older pictures for all us licensed medical practitioners to diagnose you. ;D

This is very very true. Same happened with me. I seriously just thought I was too young to worry about hairloss - so even though it was probably thinning for a year or two my mental image of myself just wouldn't accept it as a possibility. Then one day the cup went from half full to half empty...