Experienced Member
Reaction score
Caffine in coffee or coke
I aways take finasteride with these

Soy drinks

Energy drinks with trace minerals

vitamin C rich foods

Nicotine in cigarettes

any studies or links which anyone can provide for the above theories?

jeffsss

Reaction score
where do you get your info from??

what in these products is changing it's effects?? caffiene?? carbination>??

i'm screwed if that's true.. i drink about 4 sodas a day.

and usually a energy drink at the gym.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
i really doubt you would notice much difference in finasterides effectiveness because of those things listed. possibly smoking, but thats my opinion.

Petchsky

Reaction score
One thing that was going around this forum was to drink grapefruit juice with your finasteride to increase the amount that is absorbed. Not sure if it was recommended though.

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Petchsky said:
One thing that was going around this forum was to drink grapefruit juice with your finasteride to increase the amount that is absorbed. Not sure if it was recommended though.

Yes there had been a study done right?

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I cant verify my clams but as alwas the finasteride pakaging claims no known food interactions. But hwere dd someone come out with this grapefruit theory?

Sometimes if they state "No known" does not mean there isnt any possibilites, it is just that they havent found out yet

hairschmair

Established Member
Reaction score
I bet the grapefruit theory came from the Belgravia Center in London. They tell that to patients they give Propecia to.

I'm sure it's BS.

RS

Reaction score
There are numerous studies how certain medication taken with grapefruit juice is as effective as doubling or tripling the doses of the given medication.

Off the top of my head, grapefruit juice eliminates alot of the stomach enzymes used to digest food/medication. The enzymes play a roll in providing a barrier to breakdown the drug, and in the absence of these enzymes, the uptake of some drugs into the bloodstream is effectively doubled or tripled.

For example, not all of a 1mg dose of Finasteride would be absorbed into the bloodstream. A portion of that would be lost in digestion, or filtered by the liver.

Solutions: Sublingual or rectal administration

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
There's a set of many different enzymes that evolved over the eons in animals, collectively known as the cytochrome P450 enzymes. They evolved as a way of detoxifying harmful substances in the animals' food and environment. They also help degrade and break-down many substances like drugs, even the beneficial ones that you don't necessarily WANT to be degraded.

There's a substance in grapefruit juice which helps block or inhibit a certain subset of those cytochrome P450 enzymes (the CYP3A4 sub-group). If you drink grapefruit juice at the same time that you take drugs that are degraded by CYP3A4 (which includes finasteride and dutasteride), it'll have a "sparing" effect on those drugs, and a higher percentage of them will be absorbed. However, the one obvious question is whether or not the extra amount of the drug that's "spared" is worth the cost of the grapefruit juice itself. It may be in the case of a more expensive drug like Avodart, but it remains to be seen if that's true of a cheaper drug like finasteride for which cheap overseas generics are available.

Bryan

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
There's a set of many different enzymes that evolved over the eons in animals, collectively known as the cytochrome P450 enzymes. They evolved as a way of detoxifying harmful substances in the animals' food and environment. They also help degrade and break-down many substances like drugs, even the beneficial ones that you don't necessarily WANT to be degraded.

There's a substance in grapefruit juice which helps block or inhibit a certain subset of those cytochrome P450 enzymes (the CYP3A4 sub-group). If you drink grapefruit juice at the same time that you take drugs that are degraded by CYP3A4 (which includes finasteride and dutasteride), it'll have a "sparing" effect on those drugs, and a higher percentage of them will be absorbed. However, the one obvious question is whether or not the extra amount of the drug that's "spared" is worth the cost of the grapefruit juice itself. It may be in the case of a more expensive drug like Avodart, but it remains to be seen if that's true of a cheaper drug like finasteride for which cheap overseas generics are available.

Bryan

thanks for that.

G

jeffsss said:
where do you get your info from??

what in these products is changing it's effects?? caffiene?? carbination>??

i'm screwed if that's true.. i drink about 4 sodas a day.

and usually a energy drink at the gym.

It probably not a good idea to drink 4 sodas a day. Type II diabetes.