Some finasteride sides but are they still the finasteride?

first_and_foremost

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I took finasteride for a little over a year through 1/4 proscar tablets. I only took 6 months worth during the entire duration. I did notice my libido had decreased and I cut the stuff out.

I recently talked to a Dr on my campus about it. Two actually. One of them went onto some Dr database thing where different Dr's can rate perscriptions given to their patients. So you know the sides reported in the document she gave me were significantly more frequent than those reportd by merck. For example ED cases averaged 25% as opposed to 1%.

Anyway I have been off of it for over a year now and I have noticed my libido has been all oer the place. I really mean all over the place. I still enjoy morning glory semi frequently but I just feel a disconnect between my brain and downstairs. I also have some anxiety issues and I was wondering if anybody could shed some light on the subject. I talked to my familty Dr and he literally laughed and said its a one in a million chance that the finasteride sides are causing it. Any insight would be appreciated. I am 23 so it should not be an issue yet.

Mew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I talked to my familty Dr and he literally laughed and said its a one in a million chance that the finasteride sides are causing it.

Give him these papers, I doubt he will laugh.

March 16, 2011

Persistent Sexual Side Effects of Finasteride for Male Pattern Hair Loss

Irwig MS and Kolukula S
J Sex Med 2011;8:1747–1753.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... x/abstract

ABSTRACT

Introduction. Finasteride has been associated with reversible adverse sexual side effects in multiple randomized, controlled trials for the treatment of male pattern hair loss (MPHL). The Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency of the United Kingdom and the Swedish Medical Products Agency have both updated their patient information leaflets to include a statement that “persistence of erectile dysfunction after discontinuation of treatment with Propecia has been reported in post-marketing use.â€￾

Aim. We sought to characterize the types and duration of persistent sexual side effects in otherwise healthy men who took finasteride for MPHL.

Methods. We conducted standardized interviews with 71 otherwise healthy men aged 21–46 years who reported the new onset of sexual side effects associated with the temporal use of finasteride, in which the symptoms persisted for at least 3 months despite the discontinuation of finasteride.

Main Outcome Measures.? The types and duration of sexual dysfunction and the changes in perceived sexual frequency and sexual dysfunction score between pre- and post-finasteride use.

Results.? Subjects reported new-onset persistent sexual dysfunction associated with the use of finasteride: 94% developed low libido, 92% developed erectile dysfunction, 92% developed decreased arousal, and 69% developed problems with orgasm. The mean number of sexual episodes per month dropped and the total sexual dysfunction score increased for before and after finasteride use according to the Arizona Sexual Experience Scale (P < 0.0001 for both). The mean duration of finasteride use was 28 months and the mean duration of persistent sexual side effects was 40 months from the time of finasteride cessation to the interview date. Study limitations include a post hoc approach, selection bias, recall bias for before finasteride data, and no serum hormone levels.

Conclusion. Physicians treating MPHL should discuss the potential risk of persistent sexual side effects associated with finasteride.

December 22, 2010

Adverse Side Effects of 5?-Reductase Inhibitors Therapy: Persistent Diminished Libido and Erectile Dysfunction and Depression in a Subset of Patients

Traish AM, Hassani J, Guay AT, Zitzmann M, and Hansen M.
J Sex Med 2011;8:872–844.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... x/abstract

ABSTRACT

Introduction. 5?-reductase inhibitors (5?-RIs), finasteride and dutasteride, have been approved for treatment of lower urinary tract symptoms, due to benign prostatic hyperplasia, with marked clinical efficacy. Finasteride is also approved for treatment of hair loss (androgenetic alopecia). Although the adverse side effects of these agents are thought to be minimal, the magnitude of adverse effects on sexual function, gynecomastia, depression, and quality of life remains ill-defined.

Aim. The goal of this review is to discuss 5?-RIs therapy, the potential persistent side effects, and the possible mechanisms responsible for these undesirable effects.

Methods. We examined data reported in various clinical studies from the available literature concerning the side effects of finasteride and dutasteride.

Main Outcome Measures. Data reported in the literature were reviewed and discussed.

Results.? Prolonged adverse effects on sexual function such as erectile dysfunction and diminished libido are reported by a subset of men, raising the possibility of a causal relationship.

Conclusions. We suggest discussion with patients on the potential sexual side effects of 5?-RIs before commencing therapy. Alternative therapies may be considered in the discussion, especially when treating androgenetic alopecia.

first_and_foremost

Reaction score
Thanks. Those papers were released prior to the perscription so I supose I can't hold it against him. He was just going with the stats he had. I was shocked when I once spoke to another Dr and learned that the statistics Dr's refer to are those published by the pharms themselves following their clinical trials. I guess I was naive to believe that the release of drugs onto the market would require some sort of third party trial.

The ironic part about it all is that theres such a good chance that people such as myself just worry about the issues so much that we cause them. I can literally feel the anxiety building in my chest throughout the day as I think about this stuff. Im willing to be thats not exacly good for libido, or blood pressure or my hair for that matter.