Some figures & a Great Article - a must read

DammitLetMeIn

Experienced Member
Reaction score
By studying the figures on prostate cancer, more light is shed on the subject of DHT and hence hair loss: Native Japanese men have an incidence rate of prostate cancer of 4 per 100,000. The rate amongst Japanese living on the U.S. mainland increases to between 12 to 20 per 100,000 and a staggering 36 per 100,000 for those living in Hawaii.

Clearly environmental factors must affect DHT production or its cellular uptake.(Ref W. Martin, 'My Prostrate & Me' ISBN 1-56877-88-8).

http://www.remedio-capilar.com/hormones ... irloss.htm

docj077

Reaction score
I read this far...

"No study has established a direct correlation between Testosterone, DHT and hair loss. In fact one study demonstrated that bald men have in fact lower testosterone levels than other men. Other studies show that the levels of testosterone are within normal ranges or are at the upper end of normal range."

...and said to myself, "damn, this article is old."

DammitLetMeIn

Experienced Member
Reaction score
docj077 said:
I read this far...

"No study has established a direct correlation between Testosterone, DHT and hair loss. In fact one study demonstrated that bald men have in fact lower testosterone levels than other men. Other studies show that the levels of testosterone are within normal ranges or are at the upper end of normal range."

perhaps you should read the rest of it, Mr. selective. you really don't come to anything with an open mind. how are you going to learn anything?

E.g.

What must also be understood is that total testosterone alone is not that important, as it is transported through the blood on a carrier molecule known as sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG). The free portion that is not bound in this manner is available to be converted through to DHT. There is a commonly held view that the genetic predisposition is the conversion rate from testosterone to DHT in the area of hair loss.

Little work has been done into what lowers sex hormone binding globulin but it is known that there is an inverse correlation between SHBG and insulin level. Insulin is touched upon in the dietary section but it is worth noting that its levels are raised by our dietary habits, stress and being over weight.

docj077

Reaction score
DammitLetMeIn said:
docj077 said:
I read this far...

perhaps you should read the rest of it, Mr. selective.

E.g.

What must also be understood is that total testosterone alone is not that important, as it is transported through the blood on a carrier molecule known as sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG). The free portion that is not bound in this manner is available to be converted through to DHT. There is a commonly held view that the genetic predisposition is the conversion rate from testosterone to DHT in the area of hair loss.

Little work has been done into what lowers sex hormone binding globulin but it is known that there is an inverse correlation between SHBG and insulin level. Insulin is touched upon in the dietary section but it is worth noting that its levels are raised by our dietary habits, stress and being over weight.

Actually, I did read the whole thing and I found it to be a rather simplistic viewpoint on the subject. The creator of the article acts as though he or she has an absolute understanding of hair loss by keeping their explanations superficial. That's not how science works.

If they think that male pattern baldness is directly linked to the rate of conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone, then they need to list at least 2 or 3 good sources with experiments that clearly demonstrate an upregulation in 5AR production along with an increase in all downstream effects that occur as a result that increase. An increase in 5AR should lead to an increase in DHT in all men with male pattern baldness. Not only that, but men with male pattern baldness that are subject to diet review should all have high fat and high cholesterol diets with a clear genetic predisposition to male pattern baldness that can either be identified through pedigree or sequencing of the androgen receptor gene. Also, a clear increase the concentration of 5AR RNA or protein should be seen in all men with male pattern baldness.

Show me the article that says what is said above.

An article that clearly demonstrates that ALL men with a diet high in cholesterol and saturated fat with a predispositon to male pattern baldness have increased levels of 5AR RNA and protein along with an increase in DHT concentrations.

Then, find me an article that explains why vegans and semi-vegetarians with high protein, low carb, and low fat diets have male pattern baldness. When you're done there find the article that explains why men with low androgen concentrations in their blood still have male pattern baldness even when they eat a normal diet.

DammitLetMeIn

Experienced Member
Reaction score
This guy didn't mention fat.

He seemed to place the emphasis on SHBG which is affected by diet.

Surely, T & DHT can't act upon follicles if SHBG is high?

There is a clinically established inverse relationship between sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) and androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia). Studies have shown that those with Androgenetic Alopecia have lower circulating levels of SHBG compared to the non-balding controls.

docj077

Reaction score
DammitLetMeIn said:
This guy didn't mention fat.

He seemed to place the emphasis on SHBG which is affected by diet.

Surely, T & DHT can't act upon follicles if SHBG is high?

There is a clinically established inverse relationship between sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) and androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia). Studies have shown that those with Androgenetic Alopecia have lower circulating levels of SHBG compared to the non-balding controls.

If you believe what I bolded is true, then it's up to you to find the reason and fix it. The human body needs cholesterol and it needs fat. There is no way around it, so eliminating it completely from the diet is out of the question. So, either find a molecular mechanism by which we can raise SHBG levels or find the real biochemical reason why SHBG is decreased in men with male pattern baldness. I want to know everything down to the genetics. Also, you should see if such a theory has ever been tested in that has an experiment ever been done in which researchers purposefully raised the amount of SHBG in patients with male pattern baldness to see if their male pattern baldness reversed or stabilized?

Then, we can talk business.

DammitLetMeIn

Experienced Member
Reaction score
docj077 said:
If you believe what I bolded is true, then it's up to you to find the reason and fix it. The human body needs cholesterol and it needs fat. There is no way around it, so eliminating it completely from the diet is out of the question. So, either find a molecular mechanism by which we can raise SHBG levels or find the real biochemical reason why SHBG is decreased in men with male pattern baldness. I want to know everything down to the genetics. Also, you should see if such a theory has ever been tested in that has an experiment ever been done in which researchers purposefully raised the amount of SHBG in patients with male pattern baldness to see if their male pattern baldness reversed or stabilized?

Well, what you bolded was from the male pattern baldness research site. I believe it though.

SHBG can be reduced as much as 40% on a high-fat diet. And there is evidence which shows that levels of protein and carbohydrate in the diet affect SHBG markedly in both directions depending upon the amounts/ratio.

You seem to think that I advocate a fat-free diet. I do not.

A question: have you ever had your SHBG tested?

docj077

Reaction score
DammitLetMeIn said:
docj077 said:

Well, what you bolded was from the male pattern baldness research site. I believe it though.

SHBG can be reduced as much as 40% on a high-fat diet. And there is evidence which shows that levels of protein and carbohydrate in the diet affect SHBG markedly in both directions depending upon the amounts/ratio.

You seem to think that I advocate a fat-free diet. I do not.

A question: have you ever had your SHBG tested?

I'm still curious to know what the mechanism is. Why does a high fat or high carbohydrate diet decrease SHBG? I could understand a low protein diet decreasing SHBG, but you'd have to be practically malnourished.

Also, when you say "markedly" are the levels still maintained within what is considered physiologically normal or are they truly increased or decreased outside of what is scientifically and medically reasonable?

DammitLetMeIn

Experienced Member
Reaction score
docj077 said:
I'm still curious to know what the mechanism is. Why does a high fat or high carbohydrate diet decrease SHBG? I could understand a low protein diet decreasing SHBG, but you'd have to be practically malnourished.

Also, when you say "markedly" are the levels still maintained within what is considered physiologically normal or are they truly increased or decreased outside of what is scientifically and medically reasonable?

Maintained within physiologically normal levels. I will post up the findings tomorrow (sleepy)

barcafan

Reaction score
DammitLetMeIn said:
docj077 said:

Maintained within physiologically normal levels. I will post up the findings tomorrow (sleepy)

You sleep? Man to me it seems like you just never stop posting... -_-;;