Sodium Laureth Sulphate causes hairloss

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
one the main ingrediets found in commercial shampoos....coud anyone verify the safety profile of this chemical?

Sodium laurel sulphate - it is in toothpaste and shampoos

Between 1965 and 1982 over 4,000,000 new chemical compounds were formulated. Since then some 6,000 new chemicals have been formulated weekly. Approximately 3,000 of these have been formulated to deliberately add to our food. American drinking water contains over 700 chemicals. 884 neuro-toxic chemicals are used in the cosmetic, perfume, and toiletries industries. One of these chemicals is Sodium Laurel Sulphate, which is also known by some 90 synonyms (such as Product no. 161, or Gardenol) and is used in many products. In America, Warrant Material Safety Data Sheets are available by law. They say of Sodium Laurel Sulphate: "In case of contact, immediately flush the eyes or skin with copious amounts of water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Ensure adequate flushing of the eyes by separating the eyelids with the fingers. If inhaled, remove to fresh air. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. If swallowed, wash out the mouth with water. Provided the person is still conscious, call a doctor. When handled, wear approved respirator, chemical-resistant gloves, safety goggles, and other protective clothing. Use only in a chemical fumehood. Avoid prolonged or repeated exposure. Wash thoroughly after handling. Harmful if inhaled or swallowed. Harmful if absorbed through the skin. Causes severe eye irritation. Causes skin irritation. Materials irritating the mucous membrane upper respiratory tract. Symptoms of exposure may include burning sensation, coughing, wheezing, laryngitis, shortness of breath, headache, nausea, vomiting. May cause allergic respiratory reaction. Significant symptoms of exposure can persist for more than two years. Causes long-term damage to the lungs." Its main industrial use is as an ingredient in floor de-waxers, engine degreasers, garage floor cleaners, and agent orange. Its chief non-industrial use is as a controlled skin irritant in laboratory tests. This is from a news story in the Daily Mail 31/7/2001: "Dermatologists ... used seawater to treat cases of dermatitis ... which they induced by treating the skin with sodium lauryl sulphate". Still want it on your skin? In America, many toothpastes carry a warning label by law because they contain sodium laurel sulphate: "Warning. Keep out of reach of children under 6 years of age. In case of accidental ingestion seek professional assistance or contact a poison control centre immediately."
The Daily Mail has a page devoted to answering readers' questions. Somebody asked: What's the difference between shower gel and shampoo and could hair be damaged by washing it with shower gel?
In early August 2000 my reply was printed: There is no basic difference between shampoo and shower gel, although shampoo often has extra ingredients such as perfume. But both are likely to damage your hair, so you should check the ingredients for sodium laurel sulphate, sodium laureth sulphate, and propylene glycol, all of which are harmful to health. Sodium Laurel sulphate is a dangerous substance which foams readily, making the shampoo or gel thicker and therefore seem richer. Sodium laureth sulphate is a less harmful form, but both damage hair follicles and cause hair loss. They also harm the eyes, so stinging is nature's way of warning you. Tests show foetuses subjected to these substances do not develop functioning eyes, and they are implicated in the formation of cataracts in adults. Propylene glycol - antifreeze - is a known skin irritant and is thought to cause mouth ulcers and even oral cancer when used in mouthwash. It also damages the kidneys and liver. Most of the chemicals we put on our skin are readily absorbed into the body, especially nitrates. One study showed that one shampooing can put more nitrate into your blood than eating a pound of bacon. These ingredients are also implicated in the formation of the dioxins and nitrates which are poisoning our waterways. I use only personal products which avoid these ingredients, and am quite happy to shampoo with my shower gel.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
ok we have another post for the "hairloss myth's" thread. :)

YoungAndThin

Established Member
Reaction score
wouldn't the vast majority of people be bald if these chemicals are found in products like shampoo and toothpaste, that most people use everyday?

vwsimple

Reaction score
ok guys dont discount this information too soon.... recently i am using a new shampoo that says it contains no laural sulphates ie all natural and my scalp does not itch and is not inflamated.... i think he IS on to something.. at least for some people.

i reccoment jasons pure aloe shampoo to anyone thats getting severe itch from regular shampoo btw.

thin=depressed

Experienced Member
Reaction score
BadHairDecade said:
ok we have another post for the "hairloss myth's" thread. :)
I have a theory. The government is trying to make everyone bald!

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
This has come up many times and the fact of the matter is there is no evidence any of those ingredients are either harmful in any way or cause hair loss.

Propylene glycol is an ingredient of minoxidil for heavens sake!