So propecia/finasteride pricing?

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
So I'm waiting on my dermatologist appointment, but I'm already looking at how much this stuff cost. What I've read is propecia is the brand name and the most expensive. While Finasteride/Proscar are the generic and far cheaper. So I used rxpricequotes to find a pharmacy near me that has cheapest.

All of them were pretty high but this is the cheapest I found and the only one offering the 5mg pill

FINASTERIDE TAB 5MG$165.93

This is for a whole year (365 days). These 5mg are the ones I can cut in 1/4ths right?

Thats a pretty big difference.

PROSCAR TAB 5MG$1,574.87FINASTERIDE TAB 5MG$165.93

One more question when I see my derm do I just tell her I want the generic finasteride 5mg tab and tell her I'll just cut it up?

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
yes 5mg pills are the cheapest, followed by generic 1mg. The derm may or may not be willing to prescribe the 5mg pill, but ask

sportsfan12

Established Member
Reaction score
So I'm waiting on my dermatologist appointment, but I'm already looking at how much this stuff cost. What I've read is propecia is the brand name and the most expensive. While Finasteride/Proscar are the generic and far cheaper. So I used rxpricequotes to find a pharmacy near me that has cheapest.

All of them were pretty high but this is the cheapest I found and the only one offering the 5mg pill

FINASTERIDE TAB 5MG$165.93

This is for a whole year (365 days). These 5mg are the ones I can cut in 1/4ths right?

Thats a pretty big difference.

PROSCAR TAB 5MG$1,574.87FINASTERIDE TAB 5MG$165.93

One more question when I see my derm do I just tell her I want the generic finasteride 5mg tab and tell her I'll just cut it up?

Costco generic cost me 21 bucks for 3 months- 1 mg finasteride. You don't need a Costco card to use the pharmacy either

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
Costco generic cost me 21 bucks for 3 months- 1 mg finasteride. You don't need a Costco card to use the pharmacy either

I didn't know that. I have a Costco card but still good to know.