So if your hair loss is genetic...

MaluLani

Reaction score
...there is nothing that can be done? My dad started losing his hair when he was young and now (at 45) is completely bald on top. I started noticing my hair thinning when I was about 17 and now i'm 19 and can see some scalp at my crown and can also see scalp on the top of my head (really bad when it's wet)

I want to start Propecia and also shampoo with Nizoral. I was also thinking (when I have extra money) of buying the laser comb to add something else to my regime. Will doing this throughout my life prevent me from going bald? That is one huge worry for me cause I don't think I could handle being bald...

jonsie150

Established Member
Reaction score
Genetics is a big factor, but it's not 100% guaranteed. Genes don't seal your fate, they simply make your body predisposed to something. The environment (ie. what you do to your hair) is just as important.

Either way, you might as well give it a shot. Try to add rogaine in there too if you don't like the results. Good luck.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Villarba said:
...there is nothing that can be done? My dad started losing his hair when he was young and now (at 45) is completely bald on top. I started noticing my hair thinning when I was about 17 and now i'm 19 and can see some scalp at my crown and can also see scalp on the top of my head (really bad when it's wet)

I want to start Propecia and also shampoo with Nizoral. I was also thinking (when I have extra money) of buying the laser comb to add something else to my regime. Will doing this throughout my life prevent me from going bald? That is one huge worry for me cause I don't think I could handle being bald...

It depends on wether or not you have inherited hair genetics from your dads side of the family. What is your mothers side like? Grandfather, uncles ect.
But it certainly seems that if your dad is bald at 45 and you've noticed hairloss at your young age then the signs are not good.

Propecia is your best hope of keeping what you still have try it for a year but with such strong m.p.b genetics if it does'nt work nothing else probably will.

vauxall

Established Member
Reaction score
Villarba said:
...there is nothing that can be done?

Everything is 'genetic'! There's nothing for which DNA has no information.

It's better to say it's hereditary.

One thing is what can be done to prevent your hair loss, one thing is what can be done to prevent your children's hair loss.

karl_h

Established Member
Reaction score
Genetics is a factor in hair loss but it is not the only factor. Environmental factors also influence hair loss. Your genetics may make you more likely to lose your hair than others but factors such as your diet also have an impact on your hair loss.

If your dad lost his hair at an early age, and you have started to lose your hair at an early age don't think, that's it, your hair is going to go now.