so I just had a buzzcut and... (Pics Inside!)

Ali86

Reaction score
Yes, I was making a case that it might be thinning due to other reasons such as illness, nutrition etc. For some reasons, the galeau region loses more even if it is reasons other than Androgenetic Alopecia. How is your thyroid ? I think temple picture might help us.

Regardless, if you do have Androgenetic Alopecia, then finasteride is the best bet. You will probably get a lot of thick hair without any problem. People with darker hair seems to benefit the most. Other than finasteride., you can try topical RU or Flutamide; but know that flutamide may also go systemic and will have some minor side effects.

I'll get you a temples pic as soon as i can :) I don't know about my thyroid i never had tests but i dont have symptoms, should i still get tested? also sorry for a noob question but what is topical RU? and will Minoxidil help me?
oh and a general question, with any of the topical medications, do I only use it on the affected area or do i use it on all the head?

- - - Updated - - -

okay I took 3 temple photos hope this helps, PS i just washed my hair that's why the scalp is showing a bit more than usual
DSC_0009.jpg DSC_0010.jpg DSC_0011.jpg
I really wanna know if Minoxidil would help, the bottle is right there but i dont wanna do any wrong move :D also with any of the topical medications, do I only use it on the affected area or do i use it on all the head?

The_Mentalist

Established Member
Reaction score
It is tough to conclude. In one picture, you do seem to have thinning in crown, but some pictures show same thinning on sides/the permanent hair areas. Temples are hard to judge at this time. Judge yourself closely if your temples are hairless deep enough. I would actually hold on before concluding you have Androgenetic Alopecia and monitor any further thinnng or receding in temples. If you are losing a lot of hair in towels, shampooing, combing, then I think you will somehow know that you have Androgenetic Alopecia problem.

Yes, minoxidil will help; but know that its a committment forever twice a day (for best results), and if once you stop, you will get a hit that might be even more depressing. RU is not commonly available, and it is Anti-androgen in powder form that you dissolve in alc/pg abd apply like minoxidil. Ypu will be using such topicals only 1 ml on top/temple hair areas only. You can find more details on RU at hairlosshelp.

This what I would do.

I would monitor further thinning and loss specially in temple areas to see if they recede. If you do get thinning/recession in temples and top balding areas and not as much on sides, then you can conclude that you have Androgenetic Alopecia.

I would then start with finasteride (.5mg) everyday and see how that helps. Evaluate the progress and make a judgement on increasng the dose if necessary. Once, you find that your hair is stabilized and possibly even thickened after so many months, then I would add minoxidil if need be to regrow more hair.

The reason not starting with minoxidil is because minoxidil only treats hairloss superficially and not treat the root cause which is Dht action on on hair follicles. finasteride takes care of the root problem and just easy to pop a pill a day.

Above is just advise and not a edical conclusion-only you can know your body better. Someone else here may have a better judgement and see what feedback you get from others.

Jockson

Established Member
Reaction score
This is male pattern baldness IMO. It is indeed normal for us guys with very dark hair to have more scalp showing through due to contrast and perhaps naturally finer hair. I appear to be "thinning" on sides too. In reality it's what it normally looks like but that 3rd pic looks very suspicious to me. I don't think it looks right at that hair length. Just my opinion.

Ali86

Reaction score
This is male pattern baldness IMO. It is indeed normal for us guys with very dark hair to have more scalp showing through due to contrast and perhaps naturally finer hair. I appear to be "thinning" on sides too. In reality it's what it normally looks like but that 3rd pic looks very suspicious to me. I don't think it looks right at that hair length. Just my opinion.

that's not how it normally loks like its just that my hair was still a bit wet from washing it, I'll post another one soon :) but what do u suggest?

Jockson

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what mine looked like. When still wet pretty bad in pics but in a mirror almost perfectly normal. In truth it's a little worse than what you see in the mirror. finasteride would probably be your best bet because you caught it early enough but it's understandable you don't want to take it, didn't work out for me either. I'm not sure I'd start with minoxidil right now. Mainly because it's a PITA to apply 2 times a day and doesn't stop the balding process.

WastedYears

Reaction score
Why haven't you groomed your eyebrows?

The_Mentalist

Established Member
Reaction score
OP!

As I said, it can ot be concluded you have Androgenetic Alopecia at all. In one picture, I thought your temple showed "corrosion" but it probably is normal and possibly just due to high manly hormonal imbalance. I would wait and keep an eye for months specially temple depth and see if they recede more.

You may use minoxidil to thicken up your hair regardless you have Androgenetic Alopecia or not. But, it is extra work and you really do not have that thin hair. Let it grow and you will see your hair will cover up the scalp completely

Ali86

Reaction score
No.And you have no reason to come back this site.No hairloss.

are you sure? did you see all the pictures? God I hope you're right :D

- - - Updated - - -

OP!

As I said, it can ot be concluded you have Androgenetic Alopecia at all. In one picture, I thought your temple showed "corrosion" but it probably is normal and possibly just due to high manly hormonal imbalance. I would wait and keep an eye for months specially temple depth and see if they recede more.

You may use minoxidil to thicken up your hair regardless you have Androgenetic Alopecia or not. But, it is extra work and you really do not have that thin hair. Let it grow and you will see your hair will cover up the scalp completely

I really hope you're right and its not Androgenetic Alopecia, I'll keep an eye on the temples and vertex and hope for the best, I'm just a bit confused cuz i dont want it to get thinner/worse if it is Androgenetic Alopecia, I pray it isnt. but if it is I hope there are topical agents that would suffice instead of finasteride.

man12

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
are you sure? did you see all the pictures? God I hope you're right :D

- - - Updated - - -

I really hope you're right and its not Androgenetic Alopecia, I'll keep an eye on the temples and vertex and hope for the best, I'm just a bit confused cuz i dont want it to get thinner/worse if it is Androgenetic Alopecia, I pray it isnt. but if it is I hope there are topical agents that would suffice instead of finasteride.
any update ?