So I have decided to try a hair system. Would like opinions on Lace or a Poly/Skin system

noblesources

Experienced Member
Reaction score
So I have decided to go with a Lavivid hair system.
I am having trouble choosing between the Mirage (poly) and the Ares (hybrid but mostly lace)
  • Mirage pros:
    • Poly all-around, easier to clean
    • Cheaper
    • .04-.05mm thinskin more durable than .03 options but still low enough
  • Mirage cons:
    • Not as breathable
    • Does not have bleached knots for hairline
    • Poly not as good as Lace for hairline anyway
    • lasts 2-3 months
  • Ares pros:
    • Lace in top and front, Poly in sides and back
    • Users state it is more breathable and allows sweat to pass, as a guy who exercises this is preferable
    • Better for hairline exposure
    • Lasts 4-6 months
    • Has bleached knots
  • Ares cons:
    • Takes longer to clean
    • 50 USD more
    • I have seen a few people say the hairline on lace sometimes pops up after sweating
Any help would be appreciated, a lot of people state the Mirage is best for newbies as it is poly but the Ares just seems a tad better all things considered, but would love any feedback on this

Blue eyes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am currently wearing a Lavivid hybrid full cap. It's about 50/50 lace/.6 poly. I have always worn all lace full caps but I will tell you that for some reason poly is always messier and harder to clean up. It does feel heavier on your head. In terms of breathability, the hybrid is not an issue in the gym as I exercise almost every day. I did wear a full poly(not sure thickness) some years ago and it was awful in the gym. Very hot and wanted to scratch it constantly causing irritation. I did order an all lace full cap from Lavivid. The density levels with Lavivid run high so I'm decreasing from 130% to 110%.

Nigelw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am waiting on a custom Ares unit, should be here in 2 weeks or less. Mine is just a higher density and smaller base size than the stock version.
I'll let you know how it is after I get cut in.

Last edited:

mroizo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Factors for deciding between lace and poly are also the climate in your region and if you do sports or gym. In tropical climate, lace is much more suitable as your skin can breathe. Poly would be too hot and uncomfortable for me in the gym too.

I had a Helios (Swiss Lace) from Lavivid recently and rate it only 7/10 compared to other hairpieces that I've ordered online over the last year. The density of the Helios was quite thick (it was supposed to be 90% density) and the colour didn't match the description. I ordered a #420, medium-brown with 20% grey and the hairpiece that I received was at least one shade darker and had maybe 5-10% grey hair. The hair quality was not great either, the hair easily got dry and tangled, even with using moisturiser and oils. Positive was that the hairline was graduated and the Swiss lace felt comfortable.

noblesources

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Factors for deciding between lace and poly are also the climate in your region and if you do sports or gym. In tropical climate, lace is much more suitable as your skin can breathe. Poly would be too hot and uncomfortable for me in the gym too.

I had a Helios (Swiss Lace) from Lavivid recently and rate it only 7/10 compared to other hairpieces that I've ordered online over the last year. The density of the Helios was quite thick (it was supposed to be 90% density) and the colour didn't match the description. I ordered a #420, medium-brown with 20% grey and the hairpiece that I received was at least one shade darker and had maybe 5-10% grey hair. The hair quality was not great either, the hair easily got dry and tangled, even with using moisturiser and oils. Positive was that the hairline was graduated and the Swiss lace felt comfortable.
I heard from Lavivid that the color lightens to the desired color over time but I don't know. What online spots do you prefer if this was not as good? I heard Lordhair is not good quality.

mroizo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Apart from Lavivid, I've ordered from Superhairpieces.com and Lordhair. Currently wearing the Champion Remy from Lordhair for more than 4 months and the hair is still ok, although there is some thinning in the front now and the hair colour turned to light-brown from medium-brown originally. Initially, the density of the Lordhair piece was quite high, even at the hairline. However, I found this to be the only main negative for the Lordhair piece compared with the Lavivid Helios. The hair quality is better. Moisturizer and Argan oil keeps it smooth and free of tangles. The piece from Superhairpieces wasn't bad either but the knots were not bleached. Dark dots at the hairline due to the unbleached knots.

For maintenance, I'm visiting a salon every two weeks. So I can't say much about how easy one piece is to clean vs. the others. As for the Lordhair hairpiece, I've reordered the same model recently and don't see a drop in quality in the new order. However, I've seen the posts from others on Lordhair quality too and am cautious about the other hairpieces they have.

My plan at the beginning of December was to replace the Lordhair piece with the Lavivid Helios. After trying out both, I still prefer the Lordhair piece and will replace it with the same model in the next 1-2 months. My stylist can thin out the density and having 4-6 months lifespan per piece is quite good.

noblesources

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I am waiting on a custom Ares unit, should be here in 2 weeks or less. Mine is just a higher density and smaller base size than the stock version.
I'll let you know how it is after I get cut in.

Hey Nigel, how did your Ares turn out? I have been using the Ares for a while and can't stand a lace hairline. Looking to try their Crius next as I love lace for breathability but I need a poly hairline.

Nigelw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello my friend, the Ares has worked out very well, it's my favorite system yet. It is different bc it is about 1/3 poly (back portion). I don't notice this though, not too hot I mean. I love lavivid hair quality very much!
I almost order Super Hair pieces because they have 120 density lace, but I ordered the Lavivid Oceanus to take advantage of Easter Sale. It is 130 density, front inch is lace and rest is poly. This may be a bit hot, but most likely don't need it until Fall, this Ares holding up strong.
Yes I know what you mean about lace. It is very cool and breathable but has its issues, I'm finding I like alot about poly.

Have you thought about trying all poly or UTS?

noblesources

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hello my friend, the Ares has worked out very well, it's my favorite system yet. It is different bc it is about 1/3 poly (back portion). I don't notice this though, not too hot I mean. I love lavivid hair quality very much!
I almost order Super Hair pieces because they have 120 density lace, but I ordered the Lavivid Oceanus to take advantage of Easter Sale. It is 130 density, front inch is lace and rest is poly. This may be a bit hot, but most likely don't need it until Fall, this Ares holding up strong.
Yes I know what you mean about lace. It is very cool and breathable but has its issues, I'm finding I like alot about poly.

Have you thought about trying all poly or UTS?

That's cool! Yeah I thought about it, but I work out a lot and the sweat and heat from poly would be too much to bare. When I had the Ares installed the first time he taped the entire lace portion which is effectively the same as poly in terms of heat being trapped, and I hated it lol. So I need lace for exercising. But a poly hairline would be so much easier. So I think a lace center with a poly around outer edges would be perfect for me.

Nigelw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ah I see, yes this makes perfect sense. Have you looked at the "Douglas" from Lavivid? I believe it is new, it is poly border and cross section poly and lace center. I was going to purchase this, it was my first choice but problem was 6-8 week processing time for my color 1B. Maybe they have your color in stock though.

Also you may want to look into Lavivid's Atlas, poly border with lace center, it is 8 × 10 and not sure it can be cut down much from that according to site and customer support tell me this in email.

Another company I will try very soon, maybe this summer, is super hair pieces. They have a French lace and poly border unit called M159. You may want to look into them, customer service has been top notch in answering my questions and alot of good feedback from guys on here.
Lavivid is still my go to.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220421-012005_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220421-012005_Samsung Internet.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Screenshot_20220421-012107_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220421-012107_Samsung Internet.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot_20220421-012813_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220421-012813_Samsung Internet.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 83
Last edited: