So, how thick can we go?

Paulee

Reaction score
So anyway, my hair's about as far back as Mr Bradley Cooper's in this picture:

julia-roberts-bradley-cooper-valentines-day-movie-reviewjpg-46cac6af985ca680_large.jpg

That's where it seems to have stopped for now, that's one blessing i suppose. However, even though i started this life with very thick hair, i think the hair around my temples is thinner than Mr Cooper's, meaning that any fringe i have is rather transparent and you can see the forehead underneath.

The hair i want is like this:

ss_82861255.jpg

yes, i'm aware that's a woman, but i'm pretty effeminate and fruity as far as straight guys go :p

Anyhow, i've summised that, if hair transplants can give guys with NO hair (ie jason gardiner) enough hair to have a short haircut, then maybe they'd be able to give me, someone with no top loss, a nice thick fringe?

If there's a specific doctor i'd need to go to in order to do it (who can do bigger sized grafts, etc) then please let me know. As i'm totally covering the hairline, and have no intention of EVER wearing my hair back (i personally don't look good like that) i don't care if the hair looks like it's from a dolls head, it doesn't need to look natural, it just needs to be thick. Am also perfectly willing to do special blow-drying and use thickening products on it, as i managed to have that girl's hair (very similar anyway) about a year ago by using these very methods, before my loss got to a certain point.

If it's a total pipe dream and hair transplants can only offer thin wispy hair or short hair, then i need to know about it.

Also, I'm willing to travel across the world for a decent bonnet.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Paulee.

El Nino

Established Member
Reaction score
Are you serious?

If you are then we need more info - photos of YOU, age, meds and family history of hairloss.

You really don't want 4 hair grafts in your hairline and a pluggy look, trust me. No reputable Doctor would do this anyway.

GeminiX

Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking but if you want to see what one of the world's best hairline surgeons can do then look at the pictures on my site and link below.

My hair is cosmetically not that far from the girl in your photo, though less density.
(The photo over there <-------- is from a couple of years ago, before my second hair transplant into the hairline)

Paulee

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Gemini, it was very helpful.

What i'm after is big density, and i'm wondering if it's possible for surgeons to really cram in a load of implanted hair near the front? my recede isn't that bad it's just thinning at the temples.

El Nino i found your message to be that of someone who's angry and clearly full of himself. I'm a rather fragile and upset hairloss sufferer, (which you'd know if you read my thread in the "tell us your story" section), i simply asked a (i admit, perhaps naive) question only to get "Are you serious?" back at me, were you trying to make me feel 2 inches tall or something?

Then you demand information and photographs off me, who the hell do you think you are? "We need more info"? wheres the please or thank you? Are you a hairloss sufferer? imagine if someone had been like that to you the first time you tentatively posted on an internet forum? If you had nicely asked for the information on family history etc, and the photos, then i would have probably obliged, but. to come on a hairloss forum for support and friendship and then immediately get that type of attitude is disgraceful.

Please leave the thread El Nino i don't want any of your advice.

El Nino

Established Member
Reaction score
LOL.

No worries pal, obviously a wind up.

LooseItAll

Established Member
Reaction score
Really, just grow out your hair longer and comb it in that emo style and you are set...

Paulee

Reaction score
Looseitall, that's what i'm currently doing, and it worked for a couple of years, it's now at the point where it's a bit too thin, i've bought some Mane and at the moment that's helping me keep my big fringe, thickening it up and appearing denser.

Dudemon, i have hair like the top pic, i'm about an NW2, i wouldn't say my loss as yet was considerable, but enough to make me look definately my age (28)...

My father is NW2 maybe 2.5, he has all of his top and has only lost hair on his temple region. this started, i am told, at about the age of 25 and then very very slowly crept back, he is currently in his 50's. My grandfather has crept back even more, but still has his top, he recently had some significant loss, which came on suddenly, but the doctor said that at his age (86) it's a miracle he has any hair left at all!

My mother's side were not so good, my Uncle, who has very similar colouring to me, went totally bald at around 23, my Mother lost some hair during pregnancy, etc.

It seems the path i am on then is my father's side, my temples have thinned quite significantly but nothing has happened to the top.

My desire is to have a nice thick fringe, so, is this achievable with NW2? i have a load of thick hair going down the back of my neck and all of my top so would these provide enough grafts? Would the amount of grafts to give a totally bald man hair, be comparable to the amount of grafts needed to give an NW2 a massive fringe?

The reason i think it may be possible, is that, about a year ago, my loss was not as bad as it is now, and with some clever blowdrying, i was able to get a fringe like that blonde woman's in the picture. So i reckon that they could give me enough hair to have a full fringe and at very least regress me to that year-ago stage.

Sorry about the torrent of questions!

GeminiX

Reaction score
There is a limit on the distance grafts can be placed side by side in a single procedure, think trying to make tiny holes in blutac close together, there comes a point where you just make one larger hole.

To increase density you will require multiple procedures, it was not until my second procedure where I got my fringe back and I still think I want a third.

If you're only going to have work on the fringe done then you can have most of your donor area placed into that area over time, *BUT* you run the risk of having nothing in reserve if you have further recession as you get older.

Hope this helps x

Paulee

Reaction score
You're being really helpful gemini, thank you. i think it will be a little bit of a risk, i have to balance up questions like, Am I going to recede much more? (i don't think i am looking at my Dad, but you never know!) Will cloning of hair be available by the time any further loss becomes a problem? etc. Questions no one has the answer to!

You reckon that having multiple procedures is the best then? Maybe, i could have 1000-2000 grafts, let it grow in, and see if i'm happy with it, and marry that with some finasteride so i don't lose any more hair? I think one transplant could take me back to my glory days where, i didn't have a full 16-year old's head of hair, but i had enough that it looked thick and nice.

Congrats on your look by the way, i'd have never guessed you were TS :)

cheers.

GeminiX

Reaction score
Paulee said:
You're being really helpful gemini, thank you. i think it will be a little bit of a risk, i have to balance up questions like, Am I going to recede much more? (i don't think i am looking at my Dad, but you never know!) Will cloning of hair be available by the time any further loss becomes a problem? etc. Questions no one has the answer to!

You reckon that having multiple procedures is the best then? Maybe, i could have 1000-2000 grafts, let it grow in, and see if i'm happy with it, and marry that with some finasteride so i don't lose any more hair? I think one transplant could take me back to my glory days where, i didn't have a full 16-year old's head of hair, but i had enough that it looked thick and nice.

Congrats on your look by the way, i'd have never guessed you were TS :)

cheers.

Well I've had about 4,000 grafts into my hairline and temples but that is also to bring my my hairline further forward than I was naturally born with (creating a female hairline from a male one requires more work than just repairing a male hairline). I also don't need to worry about losing my hair in future, so slightly different ethical rules apply to me.

If you already have hair there and you just need to boost it then as Dudemon says, about 2000 grafts should do the job nicely, just make sure you chose a surgeon who does hairlines and not just crown work (it's much harder to get right and look natural).

edit - and thank you very much for the complement x

Paulee

Reaction score
I think all of this sounds very promising, by the sound of it i should be able to completely restore my hair with under or around 2000 grafts.

I might post a photo of my hair later, both Mane'd up, and brushed back so you can see the full extent of my loss, this i think will help us double check the amount of grafts i need.

Some of you might even think "what the hell is his problem?" when you see the photos but, being rather effeminate as I am, it's very hard to cope with any sort of recede as it forces me to look more manly than i want to.

Thanks everyone for the help so far.