So finasteride is not for me

HARM1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I dropped finasteride and am now only on minoxidil. It helped me get some few small temple hairs. Im thinking i'm going to have to fight off DHT, so taught of spironolactone. Is the spironolactone in proxiphen enouh ?

Renegade

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, he's pretty right about it. If you don't attack the problem from all of it's sources, any success will be limited and short-lived.

The DHT inhibititors (finasteride/dutasteride) should be the first line of defense, and then the growth stimulants, anti-inflammatories, etc.

Thinneritgoes!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Give spironolactone a try. It has been working great for me.
Everyone on this forum has the finasteride SYNDROME where everyone preaches that only finasteride works and that's in their head. finasteride does work well, but i've had success with other treatments as well. My uncle has maintained his crown from going bald for YEARS with just minoxidil (his hairline is gone because he didn't have forums like this to tell him you can use it on more than just the crown)

MPBWarrior

Experienced Member
Reaction score
if u don't use finasteride or dutasteride, u have to be like College and REALLY know what you're doing with the topicals. minoxidil alone will do NOTHING for hair loss.

bubka

Reaction score
MPBWarrior said:
if u don't use finasteride or dutasteride, u have to be like College and REALLY know what you're doing with the topicals. minoxidil alone will do NOTHING for hair loss.
"College" knows what he is doing with topicals??? I beg to differ

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
actually, you won't go bald if you use topicals. but you have to use topicals for the rest of your life. as soon as you stop, you will go bald again.

topicals are like a wig in a way. your normal hair will continue to fall out. the hairs that stay will become dependent on the minoxidil/spironolactone whatever. and eventually, when you stop the topicals, you will lose whatever hair you would have lost anyway.

docj077

Reaction score
person_123 said:
actually, you won't go bald if you use topicals. but you have to use topicals for the rest of your life. as soon as you stop, you will go bald again.

topicals are like a wig in a way. your normal hair will continue to fall out. the hairs that stay will become dependent on the minoxidil/spironolactone whatever. and eventually, when you stop the topicals, you will lose whatever hair you would have lost anyway.

There's no such thing as follicular drug dependence with any major drug that is used in male pattern baldness. Stopping the drug simply allows the disease process to continue from where it left off before you began treatment. All the major treatments prevent growth inhibition and hopefully stop apoptosis. However, they are not pure growth stimulators.

No drug or hormone exists on the market that completely removes DHT from the scalp, so no drug exists that can completely halt the progression of male pattern baldness. Also, no drug currently exists that will prevent the eventual fibrosis and no drug exists that will reverse the fibrosis. 5AR inhibitors end up acting like growth stimulants by increasing growth factors in the hair follicle system and at least slowing the progression of fibrosis. Once the fibrosis reaches a certain state, even growth factors can not help you any more and the drugs begin to loose their ability to combat hair loss.

BALD IS BEAUTIFUL

Established Member
Reaction score
I think u should stick to finasteride or dutasteride, dutasteride is more powerful than finasteride and may give u some extra regrowth or maintenance. Proxiphen combines minoxidil, tretnoin, spironolactone and phenytoin.the % of minoxidil is 5.5.
Proxiphen-N (Non-prescription version of Proxiphen.) Not as potent as Proxiphen. It includes various SODases, copper-binding peptides, and pyridine-N-Oxide hair growth stimulators. Patients can use minoxidil in conjunction with Proxiphen-N to enhance results should give a try to it.
Proxiphen contains 2% spironolactone .I think it is enough to block dht.but 5% spironolactone cream is also available.
Topically Spironolactone effectively prevents DHT from attaching to the receptor sites on the hair follicles. As a result, the follicles no longer atrophy and can mature again to their normal size. And it does so without decreasing the circulating levels of DHT in the body. By comparison, Finasteride inhibits the formation of DHT, causing troublesome side effects in many patients. It takes several hours for Spironolactone to react with Minoxidil; therefore both can be used simultaneously.
Its now depends on u what u prefers.

bubka

Reaction score
person_123 said:

what are you talking about? what everyone else just said

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
bubka said:
person_123 said:

what are you talking about? what everyone else just said

i read the first post and posted my responce to it.

i didn't bother reading the rest of the posts as i'm just skimming through.

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
Code:
         person_123 wrote

actually there is no difference between topicals and internally taken medicine concerning thier use in future.if any of these show some improvement then it has to be continued rest of life .once u stop using them within 6 month u will lose all u have grown with the help of them.

the effects of topicals r limited to the area on which they r used.but finasteride or dutasteride takes care of whole head by reducing dht.

there is difference in topicals vs internal meds.

internal meds effectively STOP the balding process. imagine a y=-x + 10 line, leveling off at x = 3. this is the point of internal meds. when you stop, the line continues again from x = whatever at a slope of -1.

topicals, however, act the same as meds, but when you stop the topicals, the hair loss continues again from wherever it would have been, had you not taken topicals, ie: if it was at y = 5, and you used minoxidil, then 2 years later you stopped minoxidil, it would go quickly from y = 5 to y = 3.

i hope that is clear. it makes sense to me but i can see how it would be a bit confusing to others.

BALD IS BEAUTIFUL

Established Member
Reaction score
person_123 wrote

internal meds effectively STOP the balding process. imagine a y=-x + 10 line, leveling off at x = 3. this is the point of internal meds. when you stop, the line continues again from x = whatever at a slope of -1.

topicals, however, act the same as meds, but when you stop the topicals, the hair loss continues again from wherever it would have been, had you not taken topicals, ie: if it was at y = 5, and you used minoxidil, then 2 years later you stopped minoxidil, it would go quickly from y = 5 to y = 3.

i hope that is clear. it makes sense to me but i can see how it would be a bit confusing to others.

thanks for this Intriguing post.i had make a point that both medicine are same concerning thier use in future and not mention how they fast show thier reaction on balding process if they have been abandon.it is not ur mathematical relation that describe a balding process ,it is nature which decide the balding process.
again thanks for the post

docj077

Reaction score
person_123 said:
Code:
         person_123 wrote

actually there is no difference between topicals and internally taken medicine concerning thier use in future.if any of these show some improvement then it has to be continued rest of life .once u stop using them within 6 month u will lose all u have grown with the help of them.

the effects of topicals r limited to the area on which they r used.but finasteride or dutasteride takes care of whole head by reducing dht.

What you said above is completey untrue. Hair loss medications, be it an internal or a topical, do not maintain the variables that you mentioned above as constants. No internal or external completely inhibits DHT production or its downstream effects, so the balding process continues even with the use of drugs and even with individuals appearing to observe benefits of their treatments.

The observed benefits of taking any truly reliable hair loss medication is hyperbolic, not linear. Maintenance is achieved through the production of growth factors secondary to DHT inhibition, but these growth factors are only reliable as long as the perifollicular fibrosis and collagen deposition do not overwhelm the hair follicle.

bubka

Reaction score
person_123 said:
Code:
         person_123 wrote

depending on the drug, whether it is internal or topical is meaningless, you can apply finasteride topically and have just about the same results, same with minoxidil internally, it is the pharmacology of the drug, not how or where you take it