So Extreme Hair Thinning And Not Sure What It Is. Pictures.

prophetoffollicle

My Regimen
Reaction score
I want to let the pictures stand for themselves as I obviously asking people to make a differential diagnosis over some pictures is pretty big order.

Anyway the hair loss has gone on for really 3-4 years. I noticed shedding years ago. Not clumps or absurd amounts but noticeable. I remember taking a shower and sort of running my hand through my hair and 4-6+ hairs stick to my hand which was just odd. I could keep doing it and more hairs. Not pulling or anything just running my hands through. I used to share bathrooms with other guys and being a redhead I could see my hairs on the sink or bathroom floor. For every hair I saw that was not-red I would see 5+ mine. Again don't want to make it should like tons of hair everywhere and maybe once you become conscious of it you start noticing it more. Still I noticed. If I ran a comb over my head might be few dozen hairs come out. Again maybe to some that is nothing but for me that was not. I rarely saw hairs on the sink. I never recall just going in and brushing my teeth and when I sent to spit out see a few hairs on the counter or sink that I had to wipe off....but I do now.

Anyway hair loss is probably 60-75% of my hair. Is there temple recession? I never sat and measured but I don't see any. If it is there it is very minor. Bald spot? No. I had to look but it looks about same. As you see in pictures some of the area slightly below the vertex has thinning. I don't have any "bald spots" I would saw just some areas seem thinner than others.

All pictures are with flash. Honestly the amount of scalp you see on my sides surprised me but how often do you look at side of your head?

Before anybody ask:
No other "symptoms". No itching, flaking, redness, swelling, etc.
Also, is thinning uniform? I don't know. I certainly see it more on top of my head. Maybe because I see that part of my head and/or maybe because that area has less hair to start.
If going to ask what hair that sheds looks like: normal I guess. I mean I don't see anything weird with it. I don't sit there and measure microns of diameter but look like normal hairs. I see no pattern in terms of their length. Obviously if let my hair grow longer most hairs are longer. If cut hair short the hairs are short.

I will say one other observation I noticed: my hair appears duller. Now it could be that less hair just causes my hair to be less red but before this I had dark red hair. Not bright red but dark. Even when I grow it out it looks like an old redheads hair (For those non-gingers: we rarely turn "grey" like other hair colors; our hair sort of turns a real light tinted read. Think a certain reality TV star President or Ron Howard. Redheads almost never get that white or silver hair color.). My thought is my hair looks like what 60-70 year old redheads looks like. Again not sure how much to read into that but there is that.

No surgery, no constant shampoo or hair product that maybe I am allergic to or something, not on any medication at all. No illness.

I do NOT want to possible bias people but I will say that hairloss was first noticed after a weight loss diet and over years I eat a pretty healthy/varied diet. I usually eat a calorie deficit most days of the week and rest of days maybe eat "normal" or bit above.
A few months ago I stopped this. Out of pure fear that even though I can't say I was doing anything "extreme" that this was the one constant and I feared in someway I was starving my hair. I still stay active but I used to do lots of cardio and dropped it because saw cardio can lower iron levels in blood a lot. Again I don't want to say the thinning is caused by the diet at all; correlation =/= causation and honestly I can't see what the issue was. It was not like I was eating 800 calories a few days a week or that I was on a low protein diet. I eat a pretty varied diet and I try and avoid pork/beef but still eat it and eat a lot of chicken and fish.

PS: Last picture is parted with comb close up of top of head.
Top of head hair is longer so mask a bit of the thinning I guess.

Attachments

• backfull.jpg
    backfull.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 583
  • leftsidewhole.jpg
    leftsidewhole.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 595
  • rightsidewhole.jpg
    rightsidewhole.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 542
  • topwhole.jpg
    topwhole.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 418
  • vertexcloseup.jpg
    vertexcloseup.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 383
Last edited:

prophetoffollicle

My Regimen
Reaction score
Could be diffuse thinning which is a type of male pattern baldness and in agrresive form can thing sides too. Or it could be something a derm needs speak to you on. But yea see a derm..

Yeah I think the key difference is the presence or lack of miniaturized hairs but I have no idea how to tell the difference. It has go to be DUPA or Telogen Effluvium as I have nothing else I can think of. Scalp is healthy and no complaints.

prophetoffollicle

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hard to see that though. When hair thins some thins alot faster and so it can look like uve just thick hairs but sparse. You did say uve been losing hair for 4 years. Id be more inclined to think it was Telogen Effluvium if it happened very quickly over few days/weeks

I never saw any "vellus" hairs shed and I don't know in my scalp (if you guys see any in my closeups tell me. Far from an expert).

So think maybe my hairs shed and just went straight from normal healthy hair to fully miniaturized (ie dead) in one cycle maybe?
CTE is so uncommon in men so that makes it hard. DUPA is rare too but more common but the fact I never saw any miniaturization is weird too.

Any 3rd option?

We are speculating so not like I am taking this as medical advise.