So after 3 1/2 months on finasteride, I see this:

abcdefg

Reaction score
Come back here in 6 months with new pictures and tell us what happened. Propecia is widely believe to work on the front and everywhere not just the back and sides.

nickypoos

Established Member
Reaction score
abcdefg said:
Come back here in 6 months with new pictures and tell us what happened. Propecia is widely believe to work on the front and everywhere not just the back and sides.

It does work everywhere. It says that it may not work everywhere becuase the test subjects were only tested on the crown area and they therefore cannot state it works on the hairline as it was never studied. Think about it, the balding process is the same no matter where the location on the head.
So how would a drug designed to deplete DHT only work on the top of the head? It will clearly be impacted everywhere.

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Almost 8 months in now. Still have thinning on top, although it doesn't seem to have gotten any worse. And considering I first noticed it 5 months ago, I take that as a good sign.

But now my frontal hair has taken a hit, and my entire fringe is back to being miniaturized again. Hopefully it's just a standard shed and not my hair continuing to degrade at an accelerated pace.

I'm still wondering if my custom dosing is hurting my efforts, as I'm still on 1.25 mg/EOD. I'm thinking about dissolving it in alcohol and going with .5mg every day, just to have a more consistent level in my bloodstream. But it seems to me that as long as DHT is suppressed, the drug should be effective. So I don't know what the hell to think.

What scares me is that I'm coming up on 1 year. That's the time when I should know one way or another whether or not it's even working, and right now it's looking pretty grim.

Obsidian

Reaction score
Have you thought of adding back in the foam? I felt in most cases, finasteride just maintains and helps thicken up where minoxidil really helps thicken up things if necessary.

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Obsidian said:
Have you thought of adding back in the foam? I felt in most cases, finasteride just maintains and helps thicken up where minoxidil really helps thicken up things if necessary.

I want to, but I'm scared as hell to even try it. I've given it a go twice before, usually for about 3 months at a time, but only applying it once a day and without finasteride. Never saw any regrowth whatsoever.

I wish I had the balls to just go for it twice a day, but I'm really scared I'm going to suffer a massive shed and never recover.

Obsidian

Reaction score
Understandable, but most of the stories I have seen about that is people who were not using finasteride. Besides you could try using the liquid version if the foam did not work.

RP3X

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah definatly would have got on the big 3 if you can, Foam or liquid minoxidil and finasteride or pro, and add a decent shampoo into the mix like nizoral shampoo.

I also think looking at your pictures your a young man perhaps in early 20s?

Can barely see any hair loss even....

looks too me though u would be more suitable with much shorter hair, shorter hair or buzz cut would really help out the maintainence part, but it will also naturally make your hair look thicker/healthier allows shampoo or big 3 too get too your hair roots more easier too !

I use too grow my hair out long to hide the hairloss but one gush of wind and comb overs just go with the wind ! But I do understand why you enjoy your lush locks and long hair, but its worth one try too go short and see how it is, looks like your hair would grow back within 2-3 months anyhow.

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
RP3X, I actually got a shorter cut yesterday and I think my hair looks better because of it.

Here's the thinning again:
x6e742.jpg

It might be getting better. It's still thinner than before (I used to barely see scalp, even when trying to part my hair). But maybe it IS just a part. I don't know. I'll let you guys decide. When I comb it forward, there's no scalp showing at all.

Here's my hairline:
2e3o01f.jpg

I think I'm a Norwood 2.5 now. I'll probably be a NW3 in a couple of years. finasteride doesn't seem to be slowing down my recession at all.

I registered in April 2008, and I feel like my hairline has degraded fairly substantially since then. Here's what it looked like in my first ever post:

mjxvll.jpg

I've lost a pretty decent chunk of my hairline in 2 1/2 years. But I guess that's male pattern baldness for ya. Do you guys think I would be a good candidate to do FUE into my hairline at 25? I'll turn 24 next month.

Here's how I style my hair now, in an effort to create a fake hairline:
24v5g5g.jpg

I think I would be good to go with 1500 grafts.

You can also see some (what I believe to be) finasteride-induced mild acne around my hairline.

Loolapalooza

Reaction score
God damn, I red the full thread and it´s amazing the similarities we have.

- we both are 25;
- we both have the same type of hair (density, thickness .. even color!)
- we both have the same type of receding hair line;
- we both tried minoxidil before with no result;
- we both wiped the similar amount of hair in similar places after using hair loss products;
- we both began to see the scalp for the first time on our lives after starting finasteride.
- we both are scared as sh#t to continue or to stop, because we dont know what might happen.

So after knowing this, i am prety sure my destiny will be the same as yours. I am on finasteride, mark 3 month, and so far the story is exactly the same in the exact same circumstances, so I feel I am already knowing what my future will be.

I am starting to think I should stop.

monitoradiation

Established Member
Reaction score
Loolapalooza I seriously don't think that you can base the efficacy of finasteride on the cosmetic appearance of your hair and minoxidil use and the such.

I have pretty much only a 1.5" spot at my crown where it's diffuse and based on most stories here I should've regrown everything 2 years ago. Some of my histories are pretty much word for word for some of the posters that regrew most of their hair. Yet my spot is still there.

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well, I took a two week break from finasteride because my libido and erections were less than stellar, to say the least.

The good news is that both came roaring back.

The bad news is that I am already shedding, and my hair looks worse than ever.

So, now I'm back to dissolving my finasteride in alcohol and taking .2mg/day (as opposed to 1.25mg/day). If I don't get sides, I will slowly up the dosage. And I am about to embark on the great minoxidil adventure once again. This time, however, it should be more effective because it's going to be paired with finasteride AND I will be applying it twice a day. And I won't be blow drying it off my head this time either.

I'm too chicken sh*t to apply it to my hairline, so for now I am only going to apply it to my temples (which have alarmingly started thinning within the past year). If I see any regrowth there, I am going to bombard the entire frontal third of my hair with it, sheds be damned.

Here's to hoping.