snake20's Story

snake20

Reaction score
Hey all! I have read damn near every thread on this site and I am very encouraged! I started to notice that my hairline was starting to recede about 3 years ago. It wasn't bad and actually progressed very slowly. I am probably a Norwood 2 right now and I don't know if I really need to worry as much as I do. Every time I shower I lose about 10-15 hairs and looking at myself in the mirror afterwards is horrific! I'm only thinning at the temples (just like my dad, my uncle, my grandpa...etc.) and know that I will never be bald, but I just can't deal with the temple recession. My dad is probably a Norwood 3ish but he still has lot's of hair! Should I be worrying so damn much or should I just accept the fact that I will have "parking lots?" Everyone says I still look good and I can still get chicks, but damn these parking lots!! Confidence is down....way down. I just started Proscar today and hoping it will maintain and even give some regrowth. I just want to tell everyone this: DO NOT BEAT YOURSELF UP OVER HAIRLOSS!! I know it's easier said then done, but it's the person, not the hair! I still have girls tell me I'm hot and all that......it's because I don't show my discouragement! Hang in there all....and remember.....as you get older most chicks don't care about hair! :hairy:

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
Howdy snake, Proscar should work well for you, what with your loss being being quite gradual, with maintenance of what you have now as a minimum (fingers crossed). It sounds like you'd be happy with that, well, as happy as anyone with hairline/temple thinning can be.

As you said; it's the person, not the hair, so:
snake20 said:
DO NOT BEAT YOURSELF UP OVER HAIRLOSS!!
Damn right. Find someone older than yourself, but with perfect hair, and take it out on them.

Slarti

snake20

Reaction score
Nice!

Slart....love the reply!! That is awesome! This hairloss thing is weird. It seems that somedays I don't mind my hair, but somedays I hate it so damn much that I just want to shave it off! Like today for example. I have noticed that the very front center of my hairline is getting thinner and it is getting harder to style. I'm hoping that the Proscar kicks in really fast and kicks my hairlines *** back into shape!! I don't ever want to start minoxidil because I just don't have the time. One more thing.....My Derm told me that I have very mild diffuse thinning. Does this mean that I have a chance to lose all of my hair even though there is no history of that in my family?? Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you everybody for all of the awesome posts! This is a great forum and you all rock!
Keep on keepin on.......

snake20

Reaction score
saw the dermatologist

Hey guys, Just went to my dermatologist and he says that I have diffuse thinning. My question is this: I have never really had that before (or never really noticed it) but in November of 2004 I went through a pretty difficult and painful divorce. I now notice that my hair is really thin in the front and well, pretty much all over. THERE IS NO ONE BALD IN MY FAMILY AT ALL! Like I said.....all my family (both sides) are Norwood 2.5 to 3.5's with the widows peaks. There has NEVER (even 300 years ago) been anyone bald in my family. All with just a little temporal recession. Can my diffuse thinning lead to me being NW7?? I am freaking out!!
Someone please help me out here!!

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
Hey snake, there's no point in sugar-coating this; yes, your mild diffuse thinning could, if left untreated, conceivably progress to a level where your hair is so sparing that a simple razor replaces your hairdresser. How long this might take is impossible to say - it being an entirely individualistic process.

Fortunately we have weapons to defeat Mother Nature with (or at least royally piss her off).

snake20 said:
I have noticed that the very front center of my hairline is getting thinner and it is getting harder to style.
That's the area that causes me so much strife. What I wouldn't give for a decent clump of hair slap bang in the middle of my hairline, or indeed a decent hairline full stop.

Slarti

snake20

Reaction score
okay

I appreciate your response Slart. Like I said though.....is it possible that I could be the first person in my family EVER to go bald?? Do you think it could be the ridiculous amount of stress I have went through the past 8 months? Could it be from the Proscar and this will come back?? I'm sorry to sound like a nervous nelly, but this is weird. It's like that happened overnight!! Any insight?
Thanks Slart.....

Keep on keepin' on!

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
Hey man, sorry I didn't reply sooner, been a bit busy. Now I'm not sure if I can produce anything insightful, but hopefully a slightly vague ramble will suffice.

And here it is... It does seem strange that your hair loss has mutated from several years of predominantly temporal recession (that so closely followed the progression of your male forbears) into a more general diffuse loss. I've no idea what the probabilities are for our hair loss to match up with that of our father, grandfathers, uncles, etc. but I would assume the correlation is high (I'm following a path trod by one of my grandfathers). Though of course we're each genetically unique, so who can say how the interplay of the genes we inherit will pan out.

It's also possible that this process has been eating away at your hair for the last few years, but only recently has the accumulated damage become noticeable. If this is the case then yes, baldness is a possibility if left untreated, but you're going to tackle the route cause of male pattern baldness with Proscar. Nigh on four years ago I was convinced that I'd be shaving my head six months down the road, but it never happened. The Proscar, and more recently, Dutasteride have done a sterling job of holding off my genetic inheritance.

That said, perhaps the stress of the last 8 or so months is the originator of your diffuse loss - I think it's generally accepted that stress can adversely affect our hair. I think it's also accepted that stress-related hair loss is only temporary, once the stress has eased the hair should recover. If this is the case then at least the Proscar should help with any non stress-related hair loss - but it will be several months before the Proscar has much effect and a year or more before you can truly judge its worth.

Quite some ramble that, I must try to be more concise.
Slarti

snake20

Reaction score
I get it, actually

Slart,

although you think you may have been rambling, you were very precise. I understood all of that. I think that me worrying so much about the hairloss previously, may have helped the diffusing along. My main concern was the temporal recession. However, I am now coming to grips that, "Hey, maybe I will look like my dad" and that really isn't so bad. I think the thought of me being newly single, and seeing some temporal recession may have just freaked me out. I still have girls tell me how "cute" I am and that is good. I just didn't want to look like my dad yet! But my new girlfriend thinks I am ridiculous to even say that I have hairloss. She always tells me "You have so much damn thick hair" which makes me feel good, yet I know I don't have as much. So I believe I will just end up as a Norwood 2.5 like my dad and his brothers which is fine. I will keep taking the Proscar though!! Although, I am still shedding like a MOFO which bothers me. But I guess at 26, almost 27, you do start to lose a little bit. Maybe I am overanalyzing everything!! I'll try and post a pic for you here in just a few.

Thanks Slart.......keep on keepin' on brother!

snake20

Reaction score
one more question

Slart....one more question:

There was ONE person bald in my family ever. It was my Mom's Grandfather....so my great grandfather. What are the chances that I will take after him??

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
Blimey mate, not sure what the odds are for that. I've never studied genetics and my recollection of any statistical probabilities lessons are worryingly hazy - considering I was sober through most of my schooling :eek: . Best I could say is that it's possible his hair loss genes (if I may articulate such a complicated process as hair loss into simplified terminology) have leapt down to you. There was a recent study about how this is all passed predominantly down the maternal line - it's probably been discussed to death on the site already, but as I've not visited for a while I'm more clueless than normal.

Glad my previous post made sense, even if that did set the bar for this one uncomfortably high. It's also cool that you're dating someone who straight away you feel happy to talk to about your hair loss worries. Plus, I'm yet to find any confidence booster that works quite as well as dating some gorgeous lass - just leave out the bit about how "cute" these other girls think you are, might not go down to well :lol:

Well, guess that's about it for now. Hope the shedding has eased off over the last fortnight, later

Slarti