Smoking DOES cause hair loss, proven fact!!

Matt Skiba

Established Member
Reaction score
I read about this a while ago but I never made a post all for itself. Just one more reason to quit:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/20/health/20real.html

Edit: Here is the article:

By ANAHAD O’CONNOR
Published: May 20, 2008

THE FACTS

If an increased risk of respiratory illness, cancer and heart disease are not reason enough for many smokers to consider quitting, than perhaps a message focused on hair instead of health may do the trick.

Scientists have long speculated cigarette smoke may accelerate hair loss and premature graying. The association was largely attributed to toxins in smoke that can harm hair follicles and damage hormones. According to epidemiological studies, that appears to be the case. A report in the journal BMJ looked at more than 600 men and women, half of them smokers. After controlling for variables, the researchers found a “significantâ€￾ and “consistentâ€￾ link between smoking and early graying.

Last year, another team studied the link in a group of 740 men in Taiwan, aged 40 to 91 years, notable because Asian men generally have low rates of hereditary baldness. After controlling for age and family histories, the researchers found a greater rate of hair loss among the smokers, a risk that grew with increasing smoking.

One question is whether the link is a result of tobacco toxins directly affecting the scalp, or of smoking’s causing severe disease that speeds aging.

THE BOTTOM LINE

Several studies suggest smoking can lead to premature graying and hair loss.

scitimes@nytimes.com

Matt Skiba

Established Member
Reaction score
I think this should be made a sticky or put into a faq or something so everyone can see it all the time.

It's in the freaking New York Times!

Also I've read that greasy foods and saturated fat in general converts to testosterone so I wouldn't disagree with you if you think it's a factor.

I still hold a firm belief that there's factors out there that contribute to hair loss other than genetics. But some guys really do have genetics that hit hard and there's not much if anything at all they can do about it, I just don't believe that I am one of those guys.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Jesus, the New York Times you say...It must true!

J/k smoking has a negative effect on blood flow so it more than likely will have a detrimental effect, but there's plenty of hardcore smokers out there rocking out with NW1's, believe.

If male pattern baldness's not in your genes smoking won't make any difference to your barnet, and if it is, the difference won't be that great imo.

Matt Skiba

Established Member
Reaction score
Lucky_UK said:
I know a lot of balding non smokers

But how many balding non-smoker do you know under the age of 23?

Also smoking doesn't only constrict blood flow it also causes accelerated aging of the skin. I also don't think a reputable publisher like the new york times posts articles based on bad research.

I've noticed a lot of people on here are very pessimistic, I think that a negative attitude and pessimism also accelerates hair loss.

weathered

Reaction score
I agree with Petchsky, if you're not genetical predisposed, smoking will have a little, if any contribution in hair loss.Anxiety ,bad diet ,not enough time of sleep etc ,play a role for someone with hair loss but then again if you eliminate or minimize these factors ,I believe the gains will be very minimal.

purecontrol

Established Member
Reaction score
weathered said:
I agree with Petchsky, if you're not genetical predisposed, smoking will have a little, if any contribution in hair loss.Anxiety ,bad diet ,not enough time of sleep etc ,play a role for someone with hair loss but then again if you eliminate or minimize these factors ,I believe the gains will be very minimal.

Wrong, and you need to learn about the epigenome. Epigenome has proven FACT that your life style all by its self will change the expression of your genetics. So yes your diet and ect make a difference, and yes some people are genetically gifted.

Some people are big muscular with no fat even though they don't work out and eat like crap, so are they the rule???? No they are the exception.

And even if you have "good" hair genetics your hair is still affected my your lifestyle, you may not be bald and it may look better than most, but it is not as good as it would be ie looking healthy and thick than if you would have a healthy lifestyle.

Anyone that thinks their life style has nothing to do with their hair, face, body, or general health is a lazy moron that deserves every hair to fall out of his/her head.

ali777

Reaction score
Right, I am a smoker and when I was reading on hairloss all the information points that smoking DOES CAUSE hairloss.

Apart from the poor blood circulation, one particular research on hormonal differences in smokers shows that smokers have 13% higher DHT than non-smokers. Instead of using finasteride, we should be quitting smoking.

GlasgowCelt

Reaction score
purecontrol said:
weathered said:

Wrong, and you need to learn about the epigenome. Epigenome has proven FACT that your life style all by its self will change the expression of your genetics. So yes your diet and ect make a difference, and yes some people are genetically gifted.

Some people are big muscular with no fat even though they don't work out and eat like crap, so are they the rule???? No they are the exception.

And even if you have "good" hair genetics your hair is still affected my your lifestyle, you may not be bald and it may look better than most, but it is not as good as it would be ie looking healthy and thick than if you would have a healthy lifestyle.

Anyone that thinks their life style has nothing to do with their hair, face, body, or general health is a lazy moron that deserves every hair to fall out of his/her head.

Very well said purcontrol. Could not have put it better myself.

I have seen people on here posting pictures of themselves about 130lbs overweight (Thats ADDITIONAL weight) whilst smoking and complain that they have 'Bad Genetics'. The only 'Bed Genetics' they have is that they are lazy ****ards!

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
First of all a research posted at the New York times is not neccesary valid. According to the NYT and many other reputable media there should be a cure for hairloss since the 1990 and every five years since then another one should appear.

It happens that the only three people I know below 23 that are nw5-6 are non-smokers and have a generally good lifestyle.

And that of all my friends, the three with the best hair are smoking (normal cigs and weed) and eating their asses of junk food (since they live alone).

Also with a rough look at athletes you see about the same ratio of bald footballers (for example) as you see in every day life.

So I dont think it is an exeption. It is normal statistics.

I dont say that lifestyle doesnt have an effect on life quality...it justs doesnt matter for hair THAT Much. It may take away some of the shiny healthy look at them (as it does to the skin colour) but it will not accelarate Hair LOSS.

weathered

Reaction score
purecontrol said:
weathered said:

And even if you have "good" hair genetics your hair is still affected my your lifestyle, you may not be bald and it may look better than most, but it is not as good as it would be ie looking healthy and thick than ifyou would have a healthy lifestyle.

Pure control ,You mean someone with a diffused Norwood 2-3 changing his lifestyle can become a full NW1 or maintain it without drugs ? (Please ,if you can give me a link with pics) Or you're saying that someone who's not on the ''ride'' (male pattern baldness ride) yet but all his family is bald ,meaning he has the genes to follow the same road, with a healthy lifestyle can detour this ?

The ''lucky'' people can affect the health of their hair(easy breaking,dull,oily) with a bad lifestyle I've never said the opposite, I mean that they will never get male pattern baldness with their bad diet.In the extremes when someone has the McMenu diet or has a severe dificiency the hair loss will affect all of his head and not in a
specific pattern.

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't smoke and I was balding under 23. (Balding under 23, how lame is that... :( )

Anyway, I still believe that smoking would probably have a negative effect on hairloss. Even if minor.

khali

Established Member
Reaction score
Its just like getting glasses for weak vision. People who sit in front of computers with poor vision would probably have worst vision in the future. Then there are people who don't get glasses even if they sit in front of the computer everyday. Likewise hair loss is similar. If you have male pattern baldness it will get worst. Otherwise, if doesn't then you will still have other problems. Everybody has a different weakness. My friend has perfect hair, but he has acne problems. Another friend of mine has perfect hair, but his eyes get dry very easily. Nowadays cell phones are giving people problems.

CCS

Reaction score
They just found an association, not a cause/effect.

I suspect men who lose their hair get really depressed and smoke and drink and let themselves go. The reason there are more bald smokers is because many bald guys become smokers.

Look and see if balding non-smokers have 13% more DHT than non-balding non-smokers. I bet they do. That would invalidate the DHT study. The researchers should have looked at that.

Stop smoking so that your skin and other health looks good when HM comes out. Otherwise, all the hair in the world will not give you the youthful stud look you want. I doubt not smoking will save your hair though.

I never smoked, and I starting balding at 17 and was NW3/4 at age 23. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. And I eat lots of fruits and veggies, avoid the sun, and get 8 hours of sleep. My brother is NW5. So is my dad. Sounds to me like genetics. None of us ever smoked or drank.

chain

Reaction score
CCS said:

I suspect men who lose their hair get really depressed and smoke and drink and let themselves go. The reason there are more bald smokers is because many bald guys become smokers.

Look and see if balding non-smokers have 13% more DHT than non-balding non-smokers. I bet they do. That would invalidate the DHT study. The researchers should have looked at that.

Stop smoking so that your skin and other health looks good when HM comes out. Otherwise, all the hair in the world will not give you the youthful stud look you want. I doubt not smoking will save your hair though.

I never smoked, and I starting balding at 17 and was NW3/4 at age 23. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. And I eat lots of fruits and veggies, avoid the sun, and get 8 hours of sleep. My brother is NW5. So is my dad. Sounds to me like genetics. None of us ever smoked or drank.

What Norwood you would be if you had started smoking at 16??
Maybe you would be Norwood 6.

purecontrol

Established Member
Reaction score
CCS said:

Listen you're not seriously trying to argue against epigenetics are you???

Further more no one said the deciding factor of baldness is 100% life style, but we are saying that if you think your life style has no effects on your genetics or your children's genetics then that person would be very ignorant indeed.

purecontrol

Established Member
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epigenetics

First thing that poped up, you guys should give it a read. And explains how people that do not have genetics for balding can indeed become fully bald. Epigenetics is all about the expression of your genes, and it is great, as your bald genes can be turned off, and other genes can become more pronounced.

Further more the lifestyle that your great grand parents will effect you, so you are not only what you eat and live but your childrens childrens children are what you ate and lived as well.

Have fun argue epigenetics guys, cya

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Pure control is right. Smoking can damage the dna in our bodies and cause changes from it regular functioning.