smoking and hair loss

unluckystat

Reaction score
tunnels2g said:

Nothing looks good for smokers, they're consciously giving themselves cancer. I'm 19 and starting to bald I might as well smoke cause I'm not gonna have hair by my 30th bday, but I appreciate my health more the short high you get off nicotine and my short lived smoking binge is coming to an end. Although in college some girls are attracted to guys who smoke because they look more confident, it is definently not worth it.

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Table 1--Numbers of smokers and non-smokers with natural, grey, or balding hair according to age and sex
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Men Women
Hair colour ------------------------ -------------------------
or loss </=40 41-50 51-60 >60 </=40 41-50 51-60 >60 Total (No (%))
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Smokers
Natural 8 4 0 0 10 13 1 0 36 (12)
Grey 3 11 11 12 13 54 22 37 163 (54)
Bald 2 30 22 49 0 1 0 1 105 (35)
Subtotal 13 45 33 61 23 68 23 38 304 (100)
Non-smokers
Natural 2 13 3 0 30 21 23 4 96 (32)
Grey 0 7 14 12 0 27 47 36 143 (47)
Bald 6 12 9 34 2 0 0 0 63 (21)
Subtotal 8 32 26 46 32 48 70 40 302 (100)
Total 21 77 59 107 55 116 93 78 606

2 vs 6...indicate smokng may help male pattern baldness? Wtf?

powersam

Reaction score
yeah the figures they show dont add up to the conclusion they give. odd

Deaner

Reaction score
Our observational study suggests a link between smoking and grey hair in both men and women and between smoking and baldness in men, but it cannot demonstrate a causal link

boring!

20sometingtoo

Established Member
Reaction score
I, for one, believe that smoking does cause premature graying. I'm 23 and have a load of greys after smoking for about a year. I've seen others with similar effect.
I dont, however, think it has anything to do with male pattern baldness. Maybe circulation related hair problems, but not male pattern baldness.

Britannia

Reaction score
I think if your a smoker you should be more worried about lung cancer, mouth cancer, coronary heart disease, emphysema (an especially slow and painful death), strokes, oh and not to mention permanent impotence which is irreversible even with v****.........

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My grandad smoked alot but he still was Norwood 2 when he passed away...

Britannia

Reaction score
Currently Gurning said:
trentender said:
I think if your a smoker you should be more worried about lung cancer, mouth cancer, coronary heart disease, emphysema (an especially slow and painful death), strokes, oh and not to mention permanent impotence which is irreversible even with v****.........

Thanks for that. I for one was certainly not aware that smoking had any deleterious effects at all. This may have been due to the fact that I am completely blind and unable to see the BIG text on the cigarette packet or the BIG health poster warnings..and, being deaf, could not hear the adverts on the TV or comments from others..and being, well, dead, did not notice any minor smoking-related complaints.

Smoking (along with lots of other addictions) is not simplistic and straightforward. Look up stuff on cognitive dissonance, decent and independent outcome studies on NRT, Allen Carr's stuff on the 'psychological trap' etc etc etc and then query whether the constant bombardment of 'YOU ARE GOING TO DIE' type messages is actually useful at all.

My point wasnt to educate people about the dangers of smoking, it was to point out the irrelevence of this post.