Smoking accelerates men's hair loss: study

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
CHICAGO (Reuters) - While Asian men generally have less trouble than Caucasians with the most common form of hereditary male baldness, smoking cigarettes may erase that edge, researchers said on Monday.

Smoking may destroy hair follicles, interfere with the way blood and hormones are circulated in the scalp or increase the production of estrogen, said Lin-Hui Su of the Far Eastern Memorial Hospital and Tony Hsiu-Hsi Chen of National Taiwan University in Taipei.

A look at 740 men in Taiwan with an average age of 65 found cigarette use played an important role "in the development of moderate or severe" hair loss, Su and Chin said, in cases where the men smoked 20 or more cigarettes a day.

But generally speaking the risk of androgenic alopecia -- the common male hair loss that occurs in various patterns -- was slower among the Taiwanese men than among "persons of white race/ethnicity" as measured by previous studies elsewhere.

The study, published in the November issue of the Archives of Dermatology, recommended that men showing early signs of hair loss should be advised about the role smoking can play to prevent further progression.

While the kind of hair loss studied is common among whites, it is less common among blacks, Asians and native Americans, the study said. Three previous studies on the impact of smoking produced inconsistent results, it added.

(Reporting by Michael Conlon, Editing by Maggie Fox and John O'Callaghan)

http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNe ... 3320071119

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
Consistent with all previous studies on smoking and hair loss.
Smoking is an effective inducer of oxidative stress more or less throughout the body and is particularly successful in aging skin.
hh

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Another reason to quit. Man i have to do it fast. f*****g mind addiction.

docj077

Reaction score
harold said:
Smoking is an effective inducer of oxidative stress more or less throughout the body and is particularly successful in aging skin.
hh

You are way too obsessed with oxidative stress. The body takes care of its self unless your diet and vitamin intake are terrible.

High nicotine cigarette smoking makes your hyperprolactinemic within 6 min. and the levels remain above baseline for around 42 min on average. It also increases luteinizing hormone, as well, with a marginal increase in testosterone accompanying the increase in LH.

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
docj077 said:
harold said:
hh

You are way too obsessed with oxidative stress. The body takes care of its self unless your diet and vitamin intake are terrible.

High nicotine cigarette smoking makes your hyperprolactinemic within 6 min. and the levels remain above baseline for around 42 min on average. It also increases luteinizing hormone, as well, with a marginal increase in testosterone accompanying the increase in LH.

I dont think I am too obsessed with oxidative stress. We all have our own particular pieces of the puzzle that we find more interesstig than others. And I doubt the above hormonal changes account for the difference between smokers and non-smokers. Otherwise we may as well jump on the "masturbation causes hairloss" express.
hh

docj077

Reaction score
harold said:
docj077 said:
harold said:
hh

I dont think I am too obsessed with oxidative stress. We all have our own particular pieces of the puzzle that we find more interesstig than others. And I doubt the above hormonal changes account for the difference between smokers and non-smokers. Otherwise we may as well jump on the "masturbation causes hairloss" express.
hh

Exactly. I'm glad you feel that way.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Cigarettes AGE you PERIOD. For me its common sense that it would contribute to hairloss. I don't need a study to tell me that.

powersam

Reaction score
Sitting here waiting for the inevitable,

"Nah my dad's uncles gardener smoked 2packs a day for 50 years and never lost a hair, so it can't be true"

post.

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
powersam said:
Sitting here waiting for the inevitable,

"Nah my dad's uncles gardener smoked 2packs a day for 50 years and never lost a hair, so it can't be true"

post.
:)
any second now...
hh