Slow hair growth

badger65

Reaction score
I have been taking Avodart for 8 weeks now and I am noticing a side effect. My hair is growing extremely slow while on it. Prior to starting Avodart, I was cutting my hair every 3 weeks and trimming my beard every 3 days. It now takes 6 weeks before my hair needs cutting and 7-10 days for my beard trimming. Is this a sign that the medication is working? I am also wondering if it will slow down my transplant growth. After my first two sessions, my transplanted hair started sprouting at around the 3-month mark. I am really curious to see what occurs this time. Has anyone else noticed this? Thanks for any info on this.

Jacky81

Established Member
Reaction score
Am on dutasteride since bout 3 month.
Hair on head is growing as fast as on finasteride - must let cut it every 4 weeks.
Hair on skin is growing slowlier (legs and so on).

bighurt

Reaction score
badger, i've been on generic dutasteride for 37 days and i have noticed the exact same thing. not really so much the hair on my face or rest of my body (although maybe slightly), but the hair on my head (including non-male pattern baldness areas like sides and back) are growing MUCH slower than they did previously on finasteride.

not sure if this is good or bad, but doesn't seem like it would be good. i have not seen any positive signs since on dutasteride. if anything, things seem worse and shedding is about as high as ever, every day. the first 2-7 days or so on dutasteride, shedding seemed to reduce, since then, all down hill....not promising, but keeping fingers crossed things might change.

badger65

Reaction score
I have not noticed any shedding, which is good news. I have heard that the slowing of the hair cycle (growth) is a sign that the drug is working. It sucks that they tell you to wait a year until deciding if it helps or not.

Z

Established Member
Reaction score
Take 5-6 grams of MSM daily and your hair should start growing quicker within a few weeks or so.